You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

He added that its planned rise in corporation tax would be "passed on" to workers in the form of lower wages, and to consumers in the form of higher prices.

That’s a business decision really, and they could sacrifice their margins really.

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've come to terms with it being very very likely that Cuntface will still be PM after this election. 

But, I also can't take that YouGov poll as bring accurate. That the Tories will be about 140 seats ahead of the next closest party? People above have raised issues regarding the timing of the poll. Plus, I can't help but think that the surge in voter registration in the 18-35 age range hasn't been factored in and that this could make a huge difference. 

Then there's some of the recent NHS stuff that Labour have put out. It's a bit vague and there's no "gotcha" the NHS is up for sale line in the documents. But, it still seems to be a message that is resonating with some of the electorate. I also think that Johnson's refusal to do the climate change debate, if seized upon during the debate, on screen, by the likes of Corbyn and the Greens (Lucas, I presume), then this could encourage the younger voting bracket to get out and vote anybody but Tory. Then there's the tactical voting angle. 

Only time will tell. And there's time to change minds still. But, I can't be having that poll prediction myself. 

There were a couple of articles saying that the surge in new young voters may be overestimated, something along the lines that many are already registered, which cannot be checked before the official electoral roll comes out. It would, however speak in favour of their intention to actually vote. Also, I thin there was something on BBC about the biggest surge being in the over 45 category, from 16 in 2017 to 20 percent of all new registrars. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Nothing I didn't know already, but maybe news to some.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50585818

Presumably it's news to the 163 economists who wrote to the Financial Times to say that Labour’s policies are not just credible but necessary. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

That’s a business decision really, and they could sacrifice their margins really.

Plus, of course, Labour will increase workers' rights to resist pay cuts and the efficient functioning of a competitive market would keep prices affordable. 

All in all, private companies would just have to get used to the moderate levels of Corporation Tax seen elsewhere in Europe. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

There were a couple of articles saying that the surge in new young voters may be overestimated, something along the lines that many are already registered, which cannot be checked before the official electoral roll comes out. It would, however speak in favour of their intention to actually vote. Also, I thin there was something on BBC about the biggest surge being in the over 45 category, from 16 in 2017 to 20 percent of all new registrars. 

I know that Labour have been working hard to get lots of homeless people to register to vote, and also I noticed on  Lee Andersons Facebook/twitter he said that lots of the people who were voting for him had never voted before.

Sorry to bang on but when asked outright 4 times when he going on a Neil interview he mumbled 4 times I will do all sorts of interviews with all sorts of people. Others will decide his schedule. Well when everyone bashing JCs leadership that's some comment to utter. How hard is to say next Friday 7 pm make it happen that's a leader. Why is Neil not calling him out.

• Upvote 1

As Labour are allegedly a "leave party" does this now mean that the Lib Dems are also a leave party as their flip flopping Brexit policy now seems practically the same as Labour's? 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/liberal-democrats-candidate-layla-moran-says-party-is-going-back-to-plan-a-by-scrapping-pledge-to-a4298926.html

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

As Labour are allegedly a "leave party" does this now mean that the Lib Dems are also a leave party as their flip flopping Brexit policy now seems practically the same as Labour's? 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/liberal-democrats-candidate-layla-moran-says-party-is-going-back-to-plan-a-by-scrapping-pledge-to-a4298926.html

That’s a bit confusing. So what’s the difference between their position and Labour’s then? Is their version of the referendum is to pit remain vs Boris’ deal?

Give with no sense of irony over his boss being a massive shithouse.

Interesting to note that the debate is being widely described as excellent, mature and respectful, and appears to have been all the better for not having the muppets in attendance.