You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

21 minutes ago, andyj said:

it worries me after being linked for so long with Pepe that we have not signed him or a player like him.Expecting to the front 3 to go injury free for a season and not suffer some sort of burnout after playing for there nations all summer is in my view nothing short of stupid .While i trust Klopp i can't believe that he can't find an upgrade for the likes of Lallana.Im not normally negative with the Mancs Spurs City and Arsenal all strengthening this summer i would not be surprised if we struggle to make the top 4  

It's not just the front 3. If were to lose any number of players long term, we could struggle.

Injuries can happen to any side. I just feel we are a club that can scare teams, imagine being European champions and we go out and buy another top class player or even two we'd get the city effect where teams stop even bothering trying to beat us. Shit Liverpool have improved even more. Not worth crying over, feels like we don't take advantage of our highs enough. I do think it would be a mistake to settle with what we have even if what we have is class. 

I don't see the market getting cheaper like this year is too expensive. Next year will be too and so on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Pepe is a good fit for Emery's football as well, they're going to be a force attacking wise. I just don't get why we weren't interested. You aren't going to find someone as close to Salah and Mane in style as him.

Because he doesn't want to sit on the bench. European champs or not. He'll be a starter at arsenal

I have a feeling this summer is going to be remembered as a disaster. All it takes is an elite signing or two to change a clubs fortunes. We've allowed two elite players in Fernandes and Pepe to move to direct rivals, unchallenged. This will be Arsenal's Mane and United's Alonso. They'll look back and laugh about how lucky they were to get a free run on players like that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Did this happen?

Have they sold Pogba yet?

Doctor Troy is saying he's off to United on the other page. The papers are saying he's flying in for a medical. It could be rumours like, but I doubt it at this stage. I think it's a formality that he signs for United. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

Doctor Troy is saying he's off to United on the other page. The papers are saying he's flying in for a medical. It could be rumours like, but I doubt it at this stage. I think it's a formality that he signs for United. 

Could be -- I think it is a formality that Pogba is sold -- so Fernandes would need to step in immediately and score a dozen and assist a dozen in the league - I don't think he is going to do that. 

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

I have a feeling this summer is going to be remembered as a disaster. All it takes is an elite signing or two to change a clubs fortunes. We've allowed two elite players in Fernandes and Pepe to move to direct rivals, unchallenged. This will be Arsenal's Mane and United's Alonso. They'll look back and laugh about how lucky they were to get a free run on players like that.

£72m is a free run, that’s an inflated market that is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boss said:

If United signing Fernandes or Arsenal signing Pepe means their fortunes have changed then I think you're fooling yourself. United are building a house of cards whilst Emery is ignoring the fundamental issue that his back line is utter wank. Our rivals may have strengthened but we've shown from our key signings (VVD, Alisson and Fab) that sometimes it's better to wait for the right player than simply sign what 'elite' player is available this window. Last time we did this we somewhat won our 6th CL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

We have got some fucking dickheads following us. 

We've just won the champions league. Obviously we all want new signings but some of the shouts the last few pages have been embarrassing. 

If only we had a thread dedicated to hysterical fannies...

Guest Alex_K

Fernandes & Pepe may become elite players, but its by no means a given. How many "player of the moments" and past-it-legends did we go through in the 90s & 2000s that emerged as complete busted flushes -- Diouf, Diao, Riedle, R Babel etc. In football I think you learn to trust in proven frameworks: United always made it work under Ferguson even when the signings were in the Darren Fletcher & Sun Ji Park mould. Klopp is a proven framework-maker. Barring catastrophic injuries we should be fine ... fine this time around may mean late-80s/early-90s points total (nothing to sniff at) and therefore rule out the league, but let's see. Anyone who moves to United and -- to a lesser extent -- Arsenal is committing career suicide at the moment - both clubs are ruinous & have a management that'll always be a few bad results from being out of the door.

19 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Fernandes & Pepe may become elite players, but its by no means a given. How many "player of the moments" and past-it-legends did we go through in the 90s & 2000s that emerged as complete busted flushes -- Diouf, Diao, Riedle, R Babel etc. In football I think you learn to trust in proven frameworks: United always made it work under Ferguson even when the signings were in the Darren Fletcher & Sun Ji Park mould. Klopp is a proven framework-maker. Barring catastrophic injuries we should be fine ... fine this time around may mean late-80s/early-90s points total (nothing to sniff at) and therefore rule out the league, but let's see. Anyone who moves to United and -- to a lesser extent -- Arsenal is committing career suicide at the moment - both clubs are ruinous & have a management that'll always be a few bad results from being out of the door.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Boss said:

Fernandes is a decent player, but he's overrated on the back of some massive good fortune in terms of finishing, especially from distance. It doesn't surprise me at all that we had little interest in a midfielder with a 72% pass completion rate. SEVENTY-TWO PERCENT! If United sign Fernandes and sell Pogba that's a backward step.

Pepe is harder to fault, as he's a better player. However, he's not remotely what Arsenal need so I hardly think he's the "elite signing to change their fortunes." Maybe their plan is to sell Aubameyang while he's still worth something and then spend that money on a centre back or two? If not it's pure idiocy for a team on a budget to spend £72m on a forward when your best two players already play up front and you have the Arsenal version of our 2013 defense (you remember, back when we had the likes of Flanagan, Skrtel and Aly Cissokho anchoring our team). If you were Arsenal asking who the "elite signing to change their fortunes" could be, you'd point your finger at Koulibaly, not Pepe.

At any rate, Fernandes and Pepe are decent players, they are absolutely NOT Mane & Alonso.