You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Food(s) Your Nan(s) Used to, or Still Make

VladimirIlyich

Indeed. I did have a nan but I never really had any contact with them, but as my dear ol' Mum is no longer with us I'm going to use her meals instead.

Roast dinner. Pork, mainly. Fucking loved the cracking. And how can Mums and Nans do gravy like that... amazing.

Stew and Dumplings. Dumplings. Never had them anywhere else, from anybody else, but they were fucking awesome. My boy loved them too.

Think the gravy thing must have been that they poured the meat juices from the roasting tin into the gravy. Ive tried it but it never seems theres enough to make a difference.

Although dinner at my Nans used to be for around 10-12 people so she must have made gallons of the stuff.

• Upvote 1

I honestly think I'm the first member of my family ever to be able to cook any good.

Can't remember ever eating anything cooked by anyone other than my mum, and that was mostly frozen/tinned stuff. Although to be fair we were a single parent family and she was working two, sometimes three, jobs to keep our heads above water so I'm fucked if I'm going to criticize her for not spending more time in the kitchen.

My nan was from Yorkshire and made Yorkshire puddings. Not the tiny shit that gets served with the main course, but the original, plate-sized ones full of onion gravy that came as a starter. Basically used to fill you up so you didn't notice that the main course of meat was tiny.

"Them as ates morst puddin' gets morst mate" as my grandma used to quote her own mum (she was one of ten).

I've only ever had Yorkshire pud traditionally in three houses: my grandma's, my mum's and mine. I hate those pissy little crispy round things that get served up as Yorkshire pud. I want a big fat slice of a huge pudding cooked in a roasting tin, soft in the middle, crisp at the edges and covered in beef gravy. And I want it first with nothing else on the plate.

That's Yorkshire pudding.

• Upvote 1

"Them as ates morst puddin' gets morst mate" as my grandma used to quote her own mum (she was one of ten).

I've only ever had Yorkshire pud traditionally in three houses: my grandma's, my mum's and mine. I hate those pissy little crispy round things that get served up as Yorkshire pud. I want a big fat slice of a huge pudding cooked in a roasting tin, soft in the middle, crisp at the edges and covered in beef gravy. And I want it first with nothing else on the plate.

That's Yorkshire pudding.

The best one of those I had was at a pub in Blackburn.  It was fucking fantastic.

The best one of those I had was at a pub in Blackburn. It was fucking fantastic.

In Lancashire as well.

My granny made amazing tattie soup, all the women in my family made great tattie soup. My other granny used to make home made fish & chips for us on a Thursday night, fucking lovely.

• Upvote 1

My Nan was an amazing cook.

She cooked for the Royal Hotel in Waterloo and baked for a shop nearby too.

Her pastries we're the absolute fucking best.

Said she passed away when I was 12, but illness kept her bed bound for years before, so I have only a few memories till the age of 7 or 8 of her cooking.

Her sausage rolls were the bomb though

Homemade rice pudding

Was a thing of beauty

That's it for me. With a skin on the top like leather. Beautiful, crispy, tasty leather.

When the bowl was finished with, pour some warm milk into it and use that the help scrape off the rest of the skin from around the rim.

Yes.

Guest Pistonbroke

Nana Soans from my mother's side. A proper Madras curry with all the usual side dishes and Chapati's to die for. Her Bhaji's and Samosa were also ace. 

Nana Wade from my dad's side. She was a cunt and not welcome in our house. Her sister who I classed as my Grannie rather than my Auntie was an ace cook though. She made so many nice things, my favourite was her Beef Wellington.