You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The league 2017/18 - where will we finish?

Captain

League 2017/18  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

Our first match of the season is a couple of days away and it's time for our yearly poll of where we will finish.

You may change your vote until the transfer window closes, I will then post a summary of all votes to lock in the cheaters!

I think we'll drop out of the top four as we haven't done the necessary transfer business to keep the likes of Man U and Arsenal behind us.

At the moment i'd say 6th at best - let's be honest the bitters are the only half decent side outside the obvious 6 and we are better than them.

That said if we have injuries like we had last season and it is likely given the extra games we have it could be worse then with how Everton have strengthened we could fall behind them.

But if we add the centre half and central midfield reinforcements we need so badly and hang on to Coutinho then we should fight for Top 4 again and with a bit of luck maybe fight for the title.

The next 20 days or so are pivotal in deciding what road our football club is going to go down in next few years...we stand at a real crossroads.

Our first 11 is a title challenging one - our squad depth is fucking terrible though...Klavan and Gomez as our centre half back up is a joke...

And God knows how our physically frail players are going to handle the extra demands of european footy this season - they couldn't cope last season are dropping like flies already at the start of this before a ball has been kicked in anger and the thought of them tryinh to cope with the workload ahead of them is frankly frightening.

Expect lots of WTF line ups this season if we don't get some additions and upgrades in.

• Upvote 1

6th at best on paper.

Shocking transfer window. Nothing done to improve the defence and even losing Lucas has weakened us, which really says it all. Moreno is still the clubs best left back and Mignolet will play in goal.

Salah improves an already excellent attack but yet again there'll be nothing past the first XI and a calamity backline.

Over to Klopp to try and finish ahead of two better teams. He's done it once so who knows.

• Upvote 1

Between 5th and 8th. Squad is far from good enough to compete both in Europe and the league.

Also we didn't strengthen the defence, at least not the central defence where we are really short on quality.

If we start to struggle and get the normal amount of injuries we could even drop below 7th, but I'll be positive and go for 5th.

3rd or 4th. Spurs wont finish in the top 4 this season unless there's a flury in the transfer market by them. Chelsea arent going to be as strong either seeing as conte has weakened them.

Id tip city for the league given their spending and if I was a betting man, which Im not, Id have a side bet on arsenal winning the title too.

5th

We will be the dog's bollocks against the rest of the top 6 and against teams who want to play the way that suits us.

Against shite teams we will fuck up time and again, dropping stupid points either through not having the nouse to overcome the defensive low block, or being mentally weak when the admittedly inferior opposition decides on a "fuck it let's get into them" mentality and our fancy dans fold.

Injuries will undoubtedly play a part as well as the added European games.

All opinions and of course time will tell but i read a fair bit of people writing Spurs off across different threads.

This is a Spurs side who finished a full 10 pts ahead of us last season, who were the leagues leading scorers and had the best defensive record.

They have been much better than us for the last two years.

I just can't see as it stands how we can realistically look to improve past them/them decline that much.

Of course the next 20 days or so will fill in the gaps quite a bit i suppose.

It's a spurs side that has lost walker and has rose openly inviting bids for him. They're the one team that has not bought anyone yet and stood still although to listen to many people here, we've either gone backwards and not moved on at all.

Funny old world.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the top four clubs remained the same, just in a different order. I don't think Chelsea will be top, Spurs will be top four, so will one of the Manc clubs. We will get top four but it will take a monumental effort with the squad as it is.

Undecided between 3rd or 4th. Our attack will be among the best in the league and we'll score enough goals to stay near the top even if our defensive frailties continue.

The caveat to that is that our key attackers must stay fit for most of the season, but if they do we'll secure a Champions League place again. 

I'm not calling a finish for us until the transfer window is shut. Yes I'm a shithouse.

The spurs one is interesting as playing at Wembley could be a problem for them their home form last year I think was the best in the league.

Both manc clubs have improved and will do better.

Arsenal I'm not sure about as a couple of bad results and the atmosphere will turn toxic with them.

Something doesn't seem quite right with Chelsea. Costa is a big loss as is hazard being injured. I'm hoping Morata takes ages to settle in or even better turns out to be a kezman type signing.