You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inexplicable

The club is apparently editing banners in the background to cover up Hillsborough justice flags and a "Don't Buy The S*n" banner.

You can clearly see the edited justice banner on the right, covered up with a red background and a crest, and on the left a Don't Buy the S*n flag has been turned white.

C-uVlAhXsAAaPsN.jpg

Absolutely gobsmacked.  Incredible, nothing offensive on the banners, just references to the fight for justice.  Inexplicable.

• Upvote 3

Should note this is apparently from a mural hanging at the academy that they use as a backdrop for TV interviews, so the original picture would have been a few years old.

Still no idea why the club would have gone to the trouble to (poorly) photoshop the original banners out of the picture when they put up the mural.  

Edit: Furmedge is right, it was the lad who owns the banner, @RichieG_LFC off twitter who noticed.  Hope it gets corrected, and quickly.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the original banner had the rag's actual logo on it, that might be a reason why it's been edited out. The perimeter advertising boards also look like they've been edited. Editing out HJC flags and banners is probably due to the club's official stance of not recognising the HJC.

• Upvote 1

Another own goal by the club on what matters and what makes the clubs fan base tick.

The public relations officer should either stand his/her ground and challenge the club and their superiors, or they should be buried in the ground if it's their idea. 

My father in law buys the times and he was showing me the predictions for the fight from Saturday's paper yesterday. I noticed an article about Liverpool and Everton not being able to ban the rag from European games as UEFA controls all that.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the original banner had the rag's actual logo on it, that might be a reason why it's been edited out. The perimeter advertising boards also look like they've been edited. Editing out HJC flags and banners is probably due to the club's official stance of not recognising the HJC.

I think we should find out if this is the case. Hopefully it is, is not we have to do something definate about it.

I think we should find out if this is the case. Hopefully it is, is not we have to do something definate about it.

If the club doesn't recognise banners fans bring in (with club approval and organisation btw), let them say so and ban the flags, not take some shithouse route of photoshopping images and hope we don't notice.

The club is run by cunts from top to bottom and there's nothing they've done in years to make me believe they make any decision for anything but the benefit of the ownership.

• Upvote 1

Should note this is apparently from a mural hanging at the academy that they use as a backdrop for TV interviews, so the original picture would have been a few years old.

Still no idea why the club would have gone to the trouble to (poorly) photoshop the original banners out of the picture when they put up the mural.  

Edit: Furmedge is right, it was the lad who owns the banner, @RichieG_LFC off twitter who noticed.  Hope it gets corrected, and quickly.

I can sort of understand  the Don't buy the S*n one in a way if it's a mural on a wall, I wouldn't want any reference to that rag in any capacity inside Anfield (or the training ground).   Not familiar with the other edited one but if it's a Justice one then it should be there

I don't think it's inexplicable at all, in fact I'll explain it in one short sentence for you.

The club are a shower of bastards.

They should remember why they're there, because of the supporters, those people on The Kop with their banners, they're the people who matter.

• Upvote 3

It looks dodgy and out of order.

Hopefully the club will respond to requests for answers and it'll all be a misunderstanding. But, if they're purposely editing out such stuff without justification, then it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

There's a few rumblings about that Shun The Sun group too. Allegations that they've been skimming profit off the top off sticker, poster contributions and t-shirt sales. And kicking off on and online abusing victim's family members when they've politely asked them to account for where the mark up on t-shirt sales is going to.

They've responded now.

They are saying that the picture is on public display and viewable by youngsters and the designer at the time didn't think the use of the word "scum" was appropriate.

They've said that the edit was done with "the best of intentions" but they acknowledge that it was the wrong decision and apologise for any upset caused and will restore the original banner back to the image.

• Upvote 1

Club have issued a statement through the Echo (link here):

Liverpool have explained why a Hillsborough banner on the Kop was covered up in a broadcast on the club’s TV channel.

The Reds, who have apologised for any offence caused, insist the image was “edited with the best of intentions” but admit it was “an error in judgement” and have vowed to correct it.

There was an angry response from supporters on Monday after the change was spotted on the backdrop to an interview with former Liverpool striker Neil Mellor at the club’s Kirkby Academy.

Liverpool fan Richie Greaves’ original banner read: “We told you they lied. Don’t Buy The Scum. Justice for the 96.” However, the words were airbrushed out in the photograph with the club crest superimposed on a red background instead.

The ECHO understands that the giant image of the Kop has been on display at the Academy since it was refurbished in 2014.A Liverpool FC spokesman told the ECHO: “The image was edited with the best of intentions but it was an error in judgement. It will be changed and we apologise if it has offended any supporters.”The designer at the time made the decision that the use of the word ‘scum’ wasn’t appropriate to be seen by the club’s youngsters and made the change. It was brought to the club’s attention on Monday after a backlash from fans on social media.

Apologise for the formatting of that quote, apparently the quote function doesn't like paragraphs.

Anyway, I suppose that's probably just about understandable.  I imagine it was done by some lower-level employee in charge of putting up the banner and those in charge weren't even aware of it until this week.

One would hope, at least.  The important thing is that they fix it in the end.