You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2017

Captain Turdseye

David Price's entrance to the second Thompson fight playing Payback by James Brown was class. 

I like Dillian Whyte coming out to the Jaws theme as well, but i'm not much of a fan of the switch to Back in Black halfway through.

Pacquiao entering to Eye of the tiger is iconic.

Have you ever wanted a fighter to walk out to a certain song and they never did? I've always thought TNT by AC/DC is the perfect song for Marcos Maidana.

Reading about a bit of a weird one with Conor Benn getting into trouble over tweeting offensive stuff about a boxer who had a club foot !!

Yeah apparently the bloke he took the puss out of is some dhit club fighter who has been giving him shit and trying to stir up a fight. Saying he is nothing living off his dads name etc. Connor responded calling him happy feet and taking the piss out of his foot and the world and the boxer have all fot offended. Obviously a bit below the belt but if your going to talk shit to someone dont cry when they respond.

Jesus coupd you imagine Duran today

Yeah apparently the bloke he took the puss out of is some dhit club fighter who has been giving him shit and trying to stir up a fight. Saying he is nothing living off his dads name etc. Connor responded calling him happy feet and taking the piss out of his foot and the world and the boxer have all fot offended. Obviously a bit below the belt but if your going to talk shit to someone dont cry when they respond.

Jesus coupd you imagine Duran today

Think I read something about this, some women with a kid with club foot who got 'offended' started an online petition to try and get his sponsorship deal took off him or something.

Fucking scumbags

Chingford

Michael Watson dragged from car in horrific incident

MICHAEL WATSON and his carer, Lennard Ballack, were last night hospitalised following an incident in Chingford when the former world title challenger was dragged out of a car.

According to a source close to Watson, the 51-year-old was in the passenger seat, with Mr Ballack driving, when a Volkswagon Golf slammed into the back of their vehicle.

The assailants sprayed a substance into Mr Ballack’s eyes, punched him, and pulled Watson – whose boxing career ended in 1991 after a loss to Chris Eubank (above) left him with life-threatening injuries that left him disabled – out of the car and dragged him along the street.

It is believed the attackers were attempting to steal the car, but they fled the scene.

Watson suffered burns to the skin as a consequence of being dragged along the street, but both he and Mr Ballack were released from hospital today.

Both men are in the thoughts of Boxing News after this horrific attack.

Police are appealing for information.

Haye has his own column in the Metro I think it is? Anyway stumbled across it by chance and I get the feeling he's taking this Bellew fight very lightly.

He's training in Miami for it and was saying how enjoyable it's been, I have to question just how enjoyable it's been for someone with a playboy lifestyle to train in place with a hot climate and boss nightlife who's rumoured to be money motivated only when it comes to Boxing.

Meanwhile you just know Bellew will be getting up at 06:00 bells in the dark, freezing cold for his early morning run pissed off and 100% focused.

Can anyone see any better odds floating about than 9/2 on a Bellew win? I actualy thought they'd be a bit wider than that.

Why is Bellew a cunt?

The video where he passes Anfield?

Doesn't arse me slightly. He's a good fella who was very vocal about the jft96 campaign. A local kid doing good in the hardest sport there is.

Just because he is a bit aggressive in pressers etc (to hype himself for a fight) doesn't arse me either.

Hope he bingo's sideshow Bob and shocks the country.

• Upvote 2

It's like what Haye said..just because you train in a tin pot doesn't mean that your tougher or that you want it more. Anthony Joshua does state of the art training in state of the art facilities, im quite sure that he would literally one punch Bellew into oblivion.

Why is Bellew a cunt?

The video where he passes Anfield?

Doesn't arse me slightly. He's a good fella who was very vocal about the jft96 campaign. A local kid doing good in the hardest sport there is.

Just because he is a bit aggressive in pressers etc (to hype himself for a fight) doesn't arse me either.

Hope he bingo's sideshow Bob and shocks the country.

I'm with you here, Haye also mentioned 'Bellew and his Scouse mates acting hard' are something in his article.

Whether he's intentionally done this or not it's already a Liverpool Vs London thing for me with comments like that.

Sad story, I'd not heard of this guy, surely they could chuck something his way, even if it is coincidental (doesn't seem it to me)

https://markturleyblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/paddy-considines-journeyman-and-jerome-wilson/

Paddy Considine’s ‘Journeyman’ and Jerome Wilson

Posted on February 9, 2017

51ngjx1qul-_sx331_bo1204203200_

Most people reading this will know that leading British actor and director, Paddy Considine, has a boxing movie coming out later this year. Naturally there is a buzz of excitement. Considine has been at the cutting edge of British cinema since A Room for Romeo Brass (1999) and his incursion into the UK boxing world, which can be insular, has largely been welcomed.

The upcoming feature, Journeyman (2017) tells the tale of a fighter from Sheffield who suffers a serious brain injury in the ring. His recovery is traumatic and identity and memory are severely affected, forcing him to adapt to a new, diminished reality. While making the film Paddy trained in the steel city’s famous Ingle gym and enlisted the enthusiastic help of boxing journalists for a press conference scene.

What fewer people may know is that I am an author with a particular interest in boxing. Coincidentally, I wrote a book called Journeymen (2014) which was nominated for William Hill Sports book of the Year. Even more coincidentally, I then wrote Wiped Out? (2015) which told the tale of Jerome ‘wipeout’ Wilson, a fighter from Sheffield who suffered a serious brain injury in the ring. His recovery has been traumatic and identity and memory have been severely affected, forcing him to adapt to a new, diminished reality.

Sound familiar?

To be clear, however, the purpose of this tirade does not revolve around me. I’ve moved on, am working on other stuff and doing alright. I want to highlight the detrimental effect of Considine’s film on Jerome and how those involved in the production have rebuffed approaches to rectify this.

Unlike Paddy’s fictional protagonist, Matty Burton, Jerome is a real person who has lost his livelihood and much of his persona as a result of his injuries. He was comatose for 10 days, woke up unable to speak or move and had a quarter of his skull removed. He is still now, two and half years later, enduring considerable hardship, surviving on benefits and struggling to come to terms with what happened to him.

29-in-the-coma-2

Jerome in hospital after his last fight

I’m not looking for back-slaps, but for exactly those reasons I wrote Jerome’s book for nothing. All author royalties go to him. Pitch Publishing agreed to donate their profits from the title to Jerome too. We both (publisher and author) waived our rights to film monies in order that any movie option would go, in totality to Jerome. It was hoped in this way we might be able to assist him financially on the path to recovery.

People who know a bit about publishing will understand it is tough to make much cash, particularly on a relatively niche boxing title. With this in mind, I wrote the book cinematically, in the hope that someone would see in it the possibility of easy adaptation into screenplay. There tends to be a bit more money in movies.

To this end, I used the few film-world contacts I had (I was already working on a boxing idea with a couple of directors) to push Jerome’s story out there. Engagement was strong, people loved the concept and I got two expressions of interest almost straight away. Things were looking good.

Around then, I first became aware of Paddy’s Journeyman project and read that it was going to be an adaptation of the book Year of the Locust by John Hotten. A friend commented on the similarity of the film’s title to one of mine, which did not concern me at all. There’s no copyright on titles anyway. Hotten’s storyline is completely different, so there could be no dispute.

However, later that year, three months after Wiped Out? was released, I got a message from Jerome asking me to watch an iFilm London interview with Considine, conducted by Kugan Cassius. Cassius mentioned Johnny Greaves, one of the main figures from my book Journeymen, before Paddy provided a thumbnail run-down of his plot. It seemed he was no longer adapting Year of the Locust, but had, for unidentified reasons, switched to something else. Something that sounded very similar to Wiped Out?

33-after-my-haircut

Jerome minus a quarter of his skull

I knew instantly that Considine’s movie, as he was proposing it, would kill interest in a potential Wiped Out? film because of these striking similarities. Jerome was understandably upset, so I tweeted Considine. Maybe this was the wrong approach, but I wasn’t sure how else to contact him. We don’t really inhabit the same world. Predictably, I got a barrage of abusive and mocking tweets from Paddy’s legion of followers, who were horrified anyone would message their idol with anything other than fawning adoration, as they do. Oh, the magic of social media…

Paddy replied, to be fair to him, but denied all knowledge of my books and suggested concerns should be discussed away from Twitter. Fair enough! I thought. We could speak in the real world and sort this whole thing out like gentlemen.

In the intervening period, I received confirmation that interest in Jerome’s film had fallen away because of Paddy’s. Considine’s position in the industry enabled him to be green-lit relatively quickly and dates for shooting were already being pencilled in. Effectively, we had been gazumped. Obviously, this was distressing. It robbed Jerome of substantial potential income, one of my main motivations in doing the book with him in the first place.

Yet reason would surely prevail, I felt. I wanted Jerome to get more out of this. He was putting a brave face on, but was in desperate straits, unable to work, debilitated and demoralised. It didn’t seem fair.

I also reflected on Paddy’s claim that he hadn’t heard of either of my books. Ego aside, I don’t pretend to be in the big league and PR has never been one of my strengths, but in reality both titles received national and international coverage, including a channel 4 news segment, an appearance on the Victoria Derbyshire show on BBC2, three interviews on Talksport radio, one on Sky Sports, a BBC Radio 5 live documentary, all the William Hill related promo, comment and reviews in the boxing press alongside numerous articles in mainstream newspapers and magazines. Not only that, but some of the people Paddy was surrounding himself with from the boxing world had been involved in my work.

Was it really believable that Considine, as a self-professed boxing fan, researching a film about boxing, would not have found out about two high profile boxing books, one of which had virtually the same title as his movie, the other with virtually the same plot? In truth, thirty seconds on Google would have turned them up. Further to that, why had Paddy changed his concept from an adaptation of Locust, to its present Wiped Out-esque story, at some point after Wiped Out was released?

24-at-this-moment-my-old-life-ended-and-my-new-one-began

the punch that changed Jerome’s life

I tried to consider other possibilities but could not escape the thought that it did look curious. I felt an explanation was warranted. Why was he being defensive?

Attempting to keep an open mind, I spoke to my agent to see if he could set up a meeting or conference call. He duly contacted Diarmid Scrimshaw, Paddy’s producer. Like Paddy, Scrimshaw denied all knowledge and said the whole thing was a big, silly coincidence and we should just forget about it. But how could I, bearing in mind Jerome’s situation? He didn’t want to speak or communicate with us. That seemed a bit off, to me.

I snaffled Diarmid’s email from a chain I had been copied into and wrote to him, very nicely. I explained that I wasn’t trying to gain anything for myself, but their film, in covering such similar ground, had scuppered Jerome’s chances of having one made.

I didn’t want to get adversarial, so gave them the benefit of the doubt in terms of intellectual property (ie where they got their ideas from). It’s impossible to prove, anyway, but asked if they would involve Jerome in their movie as a gesture. I explained his predicament. He has kids for Christ’s sake! He was sliding into despair.

I suggested they employ him as a consultant or executive producer or whatever they wanted, just as a way of acknowledging him. I thought maybe they could pay him £20,000 or something, not a major dent in the film’s budget but enough to show good faith to one of boxing’s true fallen warriors, whose toes they had massively trodden on, whether it was intentional or not.

As Paddy had previously tweeted he was open to ‘discussing concerns’ I hoped Jerome would be invited to meet or at least phoned or emailed. But neither Scrimshaw nor Considine ever replied. So much for ‘discussing’.

Exasperated by their dismissiveness, I waited a bit longer. By this time Considine was holding pre-shoot meetings with boxing people in Sheffield. At one such sit-down, a former trainer of Jerome’s actually told Paddy to his face that the story sounded very similar to Wiped Out? On another occasion, while training at the Ingle gym, someone else mentioned Jerome and the similarities of his story to Paddy. It seems these repeated comparisons affected him.

A month after I sent the request that Paddy and Diarmid offer help to Jerome, my agent called me again. He apparently had just been phoned by Diarmid, who complained about the constant mentions of Jerome and his story to Paddy, intimating that somehow, we were orchestrating it. I assured him we weren’t, but that such comments were always likely as Sheffield people knew of Jerome and what had happened.

During the same conversation, my agent confirmed that Diarmid received my conciliatory email but would not be replying. The somewhat self-serving justification for this was that they didn’t need to speak to us and hoped ‘the movie could help lots of people in Jerome’s situation, not just one.’

The bottom line was that they simply didn’t want to know.

In the final analysis, the thing with all this is that stories are strange commodities, quite different to other items that can be bought or sold. When you deal in them, either on the page or the screen, like myself and Paddy, there are always more. If the one you are involved with doesn’t work out as you hoped, you shrug and move on to the next or the next or the next. But when it is your story being told, like Jerome, your life, you only get the one shot.

Their film blew Jerome’s shot out of the water. In terms of the asset value of his story, they invaded his territory, dynamited his bridges and left him to it. By getting in first, they would be able to realise their ambitions and advance their careers. Meanwhile he would be sitting indoors with nothing but his booming headaches and shattered life.

As the release of Journeyman now nears, I can’t help but wonder how many stricken boxers will benefit from it. Jerome Wilson, Jonjo Finnegan, Kieran Farrell, even Nick Blackwell? How about the family of Mike Towell? (RIP) Will any of these people find their lives improved by Considine’s hijacking of their reality? I think we all know the answer to that.

I should say, in closing, that I have been a long-time admirer of Paddy and his work. His collaborations with Shane Meadows are some of my favourite British films of the last two decades. He actually looks a lot like my best mate, as well, which has perhaps predisposed me towards him. But this is different. I cannot and will not support Journeyman.

True, the genesis of the idea cannot be proven. So, there is no basis for legal challenge. But this is not a legal matter. It never really was.

It is an ethical one.

By suddenly changing from their original proposal, to this fictional story of a brain-damaged fighter, Paddy and the rest of them have prevented the real story of a brain-damaged fighter being filmed. Seemingly that does not twang their consciences, at all.

While all involved in Journeyman fill their guts on celluloid pseudo-suffering, enjoy the premiere, take the applause and move on to their next piece of self-indulgence, the actual suffering of Jerome and his young family continues.

Unless the situation changes I would urge all boxing people, even those who eagerly attended the film shoot, to boycott this movie. Considine may profess to be a ‘fan’, but let me ask one question.

Is this how a fan shows respect?

Boxers do not need fans like that.

Mark Turley's book Journeymen is a fantastic read - anybody with even a passing interest in the fight game should check it out. Can't recommend it highly enough.

It's like what Haye said..just because you train in a tin pot doesn't mean that your tougher or that you want it more. Anthony Joshua does state of the art training in state of the art facilities, im quite sure that he would literally one punch Bellew into oblivion.

Joshua does his runs in the morning, trains in Sheffield and trains with Jamie Velocity. He just has good s&c coaches and trainers. The facilities he trains in certainly aren't Miami.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Joshua does his runs in the morning, trains in Sheffield and trains with Jamie Velocity. He just has good s&c coaches and trainers. The facilities he trains in certainly aren't Miami.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Does it matter though if it's Miami or Sheffield though? If your going out drinking in Miami it's a different matter entirely but if as Haye is saying that he's not, obviously he could be lying, if you are both doing the same training except one is in Miami and one is in Sheffield why does training in Sheffield mean your more hungry and want to win more?

Does it matter though if it's Miami or Sheffield though? If your going out drinking in Miami it's a different matter entirely but if as Haye is saying that he's not, obviously he could be lying, if you are both doing the same training except one is in Miami and one is in Sheffield why does training in Sheffield mean your more hungry and want to win more?

It doesn't matter, infact there's an argument to be made you could train harder in Miami, I know I'd be a bit more enthusiastic going on my early morning run in a warmer climate.

There's no way I'd be able to ignore the Miami nightlife though and other distractions out there and the question mark for me is whether Haye could either.