You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Burning Question: Matip is coming, so who makes way?

tlw content

Kolo and Ilori will go. But, I'm not as convinced as others that we will sign another centre-back or let one of Lovren, Sakho or Skrtel go as well (unless Matip is being signed to play as a holding midfielder). I think Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Matip, Gomez is what we will go into next season with. I'm kinda okay with that, the protection in front of them and in behind represents more pressing issues imo.

Just jib all the centre halves in question in this article and replace the lot.

They are all too easily bullied, can't defend set pieces to save their lives and are too error prone - and whilst we are sorting that shower out jib the keeper who plays behind them as well and that thick get who plays at left back.

Personally i would sell either of Lovren or Sakho, whoever garners the most interest.

I have changed my mind about Kolo as ive sort of seen him as the obvious choice to leave because of age etc.

But his performances in general have been good and i think his experience and presence in the dressing room are vital to this team at least for another season.

If i was the club i would offer him another season on similiar money or even player/coach deal if he's interested.

I think Skrtel's experience and his ability to score from set pieces ( on the rare occasion when we take a decent one) count in his favour. As with Kolo with the youthful nature of this squad we need to keep as many experienced players as we can.

1/Skrtel

2/Matip

3Gomez/ New CB

4/Toure

• Upvote 2

Agree with Monty on Sakho. I think Sakho was great initially under Klopp but since coming back from the Injury he's had he looks a little shaky, but he's always slow to build form when coming back. Still think he's got the highest ceiling by far out of our centre backs. Not that I think he's perfect by any means but if ( and I know it's a big if ) he can string a long run of games together then I'm more than happy with him.

Lovren on the other hand played as badly last season as any centre back I've seen at the club in my lifetime. I'm not exaggerating to say, for me, he was as bad as Babb, Kvarme etc... And significantly worse than the likes of Krygiakos. I'm happy he's looked better under Klopp and hope he can keep it up but I honestly find it crazy people are seemingly happier with him over Sakho on the basis of a dozen games this season, of which I don't think he's played any better really than Skrtel or Sakho regularly do.

Saying that, I think Toure is definitely off and of the other three I think Skrtel is least equipped to play a high pressing game which is what I think Klopp will want. I also doubt we'd get anything like our money back for Sakho or, especially, Lovren so I can see Skrtel making way along with Kolo and maybe another cheap option like Subovic coming in.

Lovren was nutmegged by Bratislav Ivanovic.

You don't come back from that.

Toure to go as he's old and contract to expire.

Skrtel to go as he drops too deep. We may still get a few bob for him.

Sakho to go as his injury record isn't great and we will get good money for him as he has a 'name.'

Five centre backs for next season:

Matip - offers pace, so we play a higher line. Good in the air.

Lovren - to get a run in the side and settle down.

Caulker - my surprise pick to be offered a deal. Cheap. Decent in the air. Decent pace. Not seen as being especially worse than any outgoing center back, so keep for cover.

Gomez - very promising. Klopp will want to see more of him when he returns from injury.

Ilori - back up. Recently did OK in his second cup game. Has missed a lot of football due to injury, so isn't really ahead of Gomez even though older. Klopp has an eye for a player and wants to see more of Ilori.

There's plenty of scope to add another in addition to Matip, but I'm not sure Klopp will be overly keen to do so at first. I'm going out on a limb a bit and saying three out and we use the five I have listed.

Sakho (shakes head). A player with one foot and even that is shite.

All our current defense can fuck off.

Ok Lovren can maybe stay.

Pretty much all our midfield can fuck off. Coutinho can stay but needs to sort himself out.

All but two strikers can fuck off. Ings and Firmino. Does Firmino count as a striker?

Actually, everyone can fuck off, fucking talentless, piss poor, spineless twats.

And fuckoff fucking Mignolet. Fucking fuck. Keep Bogdan (as #1, yes really) and Ward.

• Upvote 1