You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is this the worst group of players we've had since 1990?

Crazy Dave

Worst Liverpool squad since 1990?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is the current squad the worst set of players we've had since 1990?

• Souness 1992-1993. Paul Stewart, baby.
    • Hodgson 2010-2011. Konchesky's ma
    • Evans/Houllier 1998-1999, Babb's balls off the post
    • Rodgers 2015-2016, 32.5 millions why
    • Dalglish 2011-2012, Buy British

We have lots of average but not totally shit although we do have some that are a bit shit and several mentally weak players. Throw in a gk who is averaging nearly 50 goals conceded a season.

What we don't have is any player who is regularly putting 7.5- 8/10 performances, consistently.

Saying that we have never finished outside the top eight and back to back single digit goal difference is possible. If we finished 9th without a cup it would be hard to argue against it. So it's grim but we could win the Europa or any season that ends with a cup can't be the worst.

I think we've had worse overall squads in the past, but those squads still had a smattering of real quality players. Those quality players might have been struggling with injury or were on the wane, but they still had a mentality befitting of players who are capable of winning things.

I don't think the current squad is inferior technically, but there is a distinct lack of winning mentality - and in some cases, a seeming acceptance of mediocrity - and that is what is killing us more than anything else. If we had a peak-of-his-powers Roy Keane in the squad, he would be spending all his time bollocking the rest of them, and no doubt a few would be given a good kicking for good measure.

An issue we've had since our last title win is that we've all too easily allowed quality but experienced players to leave because they'd rather be first teamers elsewhere than take a bit-part role here. Their replacements - whether signed to directly replace them or not - have either took a long time to get used to the pressure or merely fallen away.

I point out stuff like this in threads such as these all the time but I always get the impression that those in charge of the club never think about these things, because the same issues repeatedly fail to be addressed.

Yes because in the past we always had one world class or very good player who was capable of doing something out of the ordinary. We have had Fowler, Owen, Mcmanaman, Reina, Gerrard, Alonso, carragher, hyypia. Suarez. Now we just have loads of average players who just decide within the first ten minutes of the game whether they are up for it or not, Watford, West Ham and Leicester have been three of the worst performances I've seen.

• Upvote 2

It's the worst I can remember and I'm 35. Even hodge hodgson has Gerrard,torres. Even if torres was on the slide.

Our best player never plays because of injury, our 2nd best is unplayable one game and awful the next.As someone pointed out in another thread the rest are happy to play for Liverpool, they’ve hit the heights but don't have the quality and especially the mentality to win anything.

By a long long way. No way hodgsons team worse as Gerrard was still here so could not possibly be worse. Nah this bag of shite is nonpareil. I would take Mike marsh and don Hutchison over any of them.

Jordan Henderson Liverpool captain!!! What a fucking tragic state we are in. Brendan has truly fucked us up.

• Upvote 1

Souness's 92-93 side were pretty dire going out of all the cups pretty early on including a third division Bolton at Anfield....and a 5-1 away defeat to Coventry (Micky Quinn hat trick). But I guess we did finish 6th and a certain Robbie Fowler was due to come through.

Also was a squad that included Torben Piechnik and Paul Stewart

I'm 46 and first games I rem going to was 78/79 season. This is the poorest in my opinion. And I mean the starting 11 over the last couple of months. If by some miracle Sturridge and coutinho get back and hit form then it may bring them up above Souness worse team. Even in his poor sides we still had a sprinkling of albeit ageing greats like rush, Barnes, whelan and fowler then breaking through. think we're prob set for our lowest league finish since I started watching them.

No.

Crap as the current squad are, you only need to go back 12 months to find a worse one. In goal, defence and midfield, it's much of a muchness, but up front Ings, Origi and Benteke are a marked improvement on Balotelli, Lambert and Borini.

Without the 3 you've mentioned were comfortably worse. Bring them back into the mix though and we are a different proposition.