You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

My take on Gotze is that he has one year left on his deal and he is happy to stay at Bayern for that year to see what it brings, under a new manager. However, his statement could easily be interpreted by Bayern that he is not signing a new deal. At that point Bayern may choose to sell rather than let him leave for free in a year.

This is the dance that we go through. Maybe it is as it seems at face value. Maybe it isn't.

Here's what I know: I was more disappointed at not getting Dembele than potentially not getting Gotze. The latter is a good player and would no doubt improve us in the final third, but we still need some pace and width. If Gotze comes he displaces one of our similar other no.10s, probably Lallana, and adds more quality and goal threat. But we need pace and width, plus we must improve in central midfield, central defence, at left back, and obviously in goal.

There's a long way to go and we have a lot of work to do, but I'm chilled about the whole thing whether Gotze comes or not.

Pace, width and intelligent off the ball movement has been lacking for the last two years, so I say it's this, this and this.

Also agree about the central midfield, central defence, left back and goal stuff. So, yes Goetze is a brilliant player when in form, but I really don't see losing out on him as the biggest blow. Don't even know if Klopp wanted him, but suspect he did as he's probably too good a player to turn down if available at a decent fee.

• Upvote 1

$$ and Klopp. Persistence pays off, that's how Utd were able to get the likes of Mata and Di Maria in in a similar situation. Unfortunately I am getting the feeling we are just going to give up on signing real leaders and just hope we take a few punts on young players and hope they pay off.

And then use our situation as an excuse when they don't. The endless merry-go-round.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

The difference with us and United when they signed Mata and Di Maria is:

A)United are genuinely one of the biggest clubs in the world and they last won the title in 2013 whilst our last major title was over a decade ago. Big players still sign for United because there is still a perception they could win major trophies there even if that isn't really the case.

B)United aren't adverse to spending 60m on a player whilst our transfer record is 35m.

Persistence has nothing to do with it. It's not about who is trying the hardest to sign these big players, it's about which club has most to offer. Unfortunately we have very little to offer. You may think Klopp is a pull, but if we were to compete with say Arsenal for a top player, unless the guy knows Klopp personally, we'd have no chance because Arsenal are richer and have Champions League football. You can argue that Klopp is a better manager than Wenger but no player will proritize that over playing European football or being paid more.

The difference with us and United when they signed Mata and Di Maria is:

A)United are genuinely one of the biggest clubs in the world and they last won the title in 2013 whilst our last major title was over a decade ago. Big players still sign for United because there is still a perception they could win major trophies there even if that isn't really the case.

B)United aren't adverse to spending 60m on a player whilst our transfer record is 35m.

Persistence has nothing to do with it. It's not about who is trying the hardest to sign these big players, it's about which club has most to offer. Unfortunately we have very little to offer. You may think Klopp is a pull, but if we were to compete with say Arsenal for a top player, unless the guy knows Klopp personally, we'd have no chance because Arsenal are richer and have Champions League football. You can argue that Klopp is a better manager than Wenger but no player will proritize that over playing European football or being paid more.

There is another £200k a week reason they could sign him

Not sure this Götze saga is finished yet, could see another twist coming. Jan Aage Fjørtoft has several contacts in Germany and is usually reliable, but he's qouting Bild.. Still hope we're in for him, would be a massive signing.

Not sure this Götze saga is finished yet, could see another twist coming. Jan Aage Fjørtoft has several contacts in Germany and is usually reliable, but he's qouting Bild.. Still hope we're in for him, would be a massive signing.

dont do it to yourself mate.
  • Upvote 1

We need more than Götze to fix our issues. He's no different to what we have now other than a touch more class. I think Firmino will be even better again next season so fuck Götze and get a pacey winger in instead.

The defensive side of things and an actual fit and working striker is more important. Looks like we've sorted the keeper issues so now we just need another strong CB if Sakho's fucked, and the DM we've needed since Masch left.

So basically, we'll do none of that and sign a load of young hopefuls and be in the same position we've been in for years.

We're fuckin shite.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kolo-toure-not-offered-new-11375922

So Skrtel and Toure out, Sakho banned... We'll only have Lovren, Matip and a 19 year old Joe Gomez, as our senior centre halfs at the start of next season, we're definitely signing someone else.

I'm glad Skrtel's off. It's taken 3 managers and many years to realise he wasn't a good . As soon as we put him into a defence with structure his abilty (or lack of it) was obvious. He's a limited defender who is positional sense is terrible and can't read the game very well.

Kolo is a bit different, good player, reads the game well and positionally sound BUT too many miles on those legs and his lack of pace means we have to defend a different way and sit a little deeper. We can't play the Klopp way with him and i think it's right not offering him a new contract. 

We shouldn't have to adapt our tactics because we haven't got the right players, it's time we bought the right players to suit our system even when we have injuries and players recovering. That's how you grow a squad. We have had too many years of stop gap players "filling in" or "doing a job". Fuck all that now, just grow the club with the right players that suit the way Klopp wants us to play. 

• Upvote 2

I'm glad Skrtel's off. It's taken 3 managers and many years to realise he wasn't a good . As soon as we put him into a defence with structure his abilty (or lack of it) was obvious. He's a limited defender who is positional sense is terrible and can't read the game very well.

Kolo is a bit different, good player, reads the game well and positionally sound BUT too many miles on those legs and his lack of pace means we have to defend a different way and sit a little deeper. We can't play the Klopp way with him and i think it's right not offering him a new contract. 

We shouldn't have to adapt our tactics because we haven't got the right players, it's time we bought the right players to suit our system even when we have injuries and players recovering. That's how you grow a squad. We have had too many years of stop gap players "filling in" or "doing a job". Fuck all that now, just grow the club with the right players that suit the way Klopp wants us to play. 

In future when our managers realise they need a better player they could help themselves by purchasing one.

• Upvote 1

I think Boss' post on the previous page is brilliant; one I fully agree with.

Me and a mate were talking yesterday about Karius and he was wondering whether someone signed for £4.7m would be go into the first team straight away. I think we as football supporters in this country have been brainwashed into associating cost with worth to a team. Mesut Ozil, for instance: £40 odd million. By no means a bad player and last season he was very good, but is it really that astute a signing when the problems Arsenal have signed are equally as apparent as they were ten years ago? No leadership and a soft centre- it's rinse and repeat with those fuckers. Ozil's the type of signing Wenger's regularly been plucking out of his arse since he's been at Arsenal and, I don't know, I knew the club were spending over £40m, I'd kind of expect a pressing area of the side to be addressed.

I think a lot of signings these days are simply done out of vanity; one eye on shirt sales, generating media interest- all without little consideration to how you actually fit them into a good team. It's as if people just ignored what an absolute clusterfuck the galacticos project at Madrid came, where as Zidane put it, you kept adding a layer of gold paint to the Ferrari but had no engine in the car because you'd fucked off Makelele. Di Maria's a classic one at the Mancs. Again, a sound player, one that looks good on paper to get the fans excited, but no thought given to the fact that the player blatantly never fancied it after being forced out of Madrid, along with a manager who was never really keen on him by the same token. Cuadrado, Salah at Chelsea- look good on paper. Most of City's signings recently fall into the same bracket.

To an extent, you see the same thing watching MOTD and they show a stonking performance from Jamie Vardy and you have someone like Shearer going "top player, a £25m player." Again, I'm not slagging off Vardy, but you're just assigning a player a value there with little thought to other factors, notably that he's 29, had one season of scoring regularly in the top flight and that if you sign him, chances are he won't have the same impact because there won't be as much space to run in behind. The values that people assign these players and, consequently, entailing assumptions of worth are just daft and keep getting dafter because of the ubqitous media and how easy it is to cursorily throw buzz words out there with very little other analysis.

I think it's all symptomatic of the instantaneous culture we live in nowadays. Not only that, but everyone's suddenly an expert without ever having to leave their room. You see the club linked with a player some virgin has seen on YouTube and you're in this odd position of the virgin partly wanting to see them fail to keep intact his reputation as a guru on some internet board. Guaranteed if we sign someone like Sule for a pittance, you'll have people banging on about it being a lack of ambition, or how he's been grown in a petri dish of Brede Hangeland's saliva or something. I always think of the classic example of Samie Hyypia at the turn of the century. Nobody had any clue who he was, but a clear deficiency in the team was spotted and addressed with minimum fanfare and fuss. Old school stuff. And as a kid after watching clowns like Babb, Ruddock and Harkness at the back, watching Sami slot in was like that bit in the Wizard of Oz were it turns from sepia into technicolour.

It's one of the things that I've admired about Leicester's dealings in how every single aspect of their squad has been addressed. Players who complement others have been signed, you've got players who can provide a spark, players who have no obligation but to defend first and foremost. The recruitment side itself is obviously hard, but strategizing what you actually need in the first place to build a decent squad isn't difficult. Forget about the quality of the players for a second, whether or not Kompany is better than Morgan or if Mata is better than Mahrez or whatever, but have a look at the collective and can you honestly tell me that Leicester don't have the most balanced (being the key word) squad in the league?

Basel last week absolutely floored me and I'm still reeling a bit, if I'm honest, but one shoot of positivity I find is in the creditable links; how deficient areas appear to be being addressed, rather than the slapdash Premier League trolley dash we've had for far too long. I think we're all in agreement that Klopp isn't soft and is fully aware of what needs to be done to sort this squad out. We've made a pig's ear of it for far too long. If the signings are not the biggest names, I'm honestly not arsed, I'd just be happy to see tangible improvement on the medicore, spineless shite we've been accustomed to watching.

• Upvote 14

Fuck off Faustus there's no room for rational thinking here. All this balanced squad buying the right player shite. We want a fortune spent on positions we already have covered and then force other players out of position to cover our deficiencies. Not into this common sense lark.