You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is the bleakest film..

Stouffer

Those of you who are upset with mistreatment of animals would be well advised to steer clear of the Robert Bresson classic 'Au Hasard Bathazar'. Highly uncomfortable viewing if not devastating and leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. 'Gomorrah' is another I found deeply corrosive and bleak although it is a superb essay on crime and corruption that merits repeat viewings.

• Upvote 1

Those of you who are upset with mistreatment of animals would be well advised to steer clear of the Robert Bresson classic 'Au Hasard Bathazar'. Highly uncomfortable viewing if not devastating and leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. 'Gomorrah' is another I found deeply corrosive and bleak although it is a superb essay on crime and corruption that merits repeat viewings.

Good film, Gomorrah.

Gomorrah's definitely not hopeful, but I found it too fascinating to be properly bleak. I read the book first, so maybe I was prepared for it, but it's like a crime version of Bruce Parry's Tribes or something, it seems almost unreal in places.

It takes on a bit more of a chilling note when you realise the bloke playing the gangster might've actually seen the lads get killed first hand though and played a part in it.

I want to watch this, but I don't. If you know what I mean.

On a similar note, When the Wind Blows. Fucking hell, if you want to play me like a fiddle put either kids or old people in a hopeless situation.

ETA : Chuck in an animal as well and I'm a fucking blubbering mess.

Grave of the Fireflies would make even the hardest hearted viewer cry. It's utterly tragic.

Ideal first date material judging by the opening scenes:

'One night, unemployed widower Joseph (Peter Mullan) drunkenly kicks his dog Bluey to death. He buries the dog and goes to the post office, where he mocks some Asian workers then throws a rock through the window when they tell him to leave. At the pub, Joseph attacks two young men playing pool who were threatening and taunting him. He then hides in a second-hand shop, where employee Hannah (Olivia Colman) offers to pray for him.'

Saw the reviews when it came out and thankfully somebody referenced the dog-kicking at the start so I swerved it.

Ideal first date material judging by the opening scenes:

'One night, unemployed widower Joseph (Peter Mullan) drunkenly kicks his dog Bluey to death. He buries the dog and goes to the post office, where he mocks some Asian workers then throws a rock through the window when they tell him to leave. At the pub, Joseph attacks two young men playing pool who were threatening and taunting him. He then hides in a second-hand shop, where employee Hannah (Olivia Colman) offers to pray for him.'

Saw the reviews when it came out and thankfully somebody referenced the dog-kicking at the start so I swerved it.

If it helps, the dog-killing is handled very sensitively.

I'd go for Irreverible, Man Bites Dog, Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark, Lilya-4-Ever, but they've already been said.

I'd just add "The Thief" (Russia).

But to be honest, ANY Polish film set in the 40s/50s is going to be hard to beat.

Kanal?

Dead Mans Shoes is grim, particularly the ending even though there are some hilarious bits in it.

YOU YER CUUUNNT! then apologises to him outside the pub.

The gas mask and the painting on people's faces. Also the bit where the main drug dealer threatens Richard in the street and he isn't intimidated at all which freaks the dealer out.

• Upvote 1