You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

23 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Thank you for asking the questions rather than reverting to childish insults and cultural stereotyping.

They do not have artificial borders forced on them by colonial mandates though. Their people don’t put tribal and sectarian affiliations ahead of the interests of the nation state. The two factors I presented go hand in hand. You cannot take them in isolation.

The super powers will welcome democracy. It will make it easier for them to use sectarian and tribal affiliations to create internal conflicts that weaken these states and stifle their growth. This is their game. They are already trying to do that even without democracy. 

Yes I’m saying it should be one Arab state for democracy to work. The super powers of this world will never allow this to happen. Read the book I suggested above if you want to know more about this. It was written by a British journalist who spent most of his life in the Middle East.

Like I said border issue can be resolved if there is unity in the region - based on what you say there is unity (except Iran of course) so it shouldn't take too long to work out the differences, with or without the help/interference from the West. I also completely disagree that one Arab state is required to implement democracy, UAE can implement it first if they want to and others can hopefully follow. Democracy is easier to do than a single Arab state. 

I also think you are a bit too simplistic in how you see sectarian connections, there are plenty of democratic nations with this issue. There are countless number of issues related to this in almost every democratic nation I would say, it doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter if democracy is viewed strongly first & foremost. Lebanon/Iran might be an extreme example for this. 

The Arab nations have 2 strengths they can use massively to not just have democracy but continue to uphold it - Islam & Oil. One to give unity and the other to continue to give economic strength. 

I will try and look for the book, thank you. 

Anyway, better stop the politics stuff now before everyone gets pissed off. 

12 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I will try and look for the book, thank you. 

Anyway, better stop the politics stuff now before everyone gets pissed off. 

You make it simpler than it really is because you probably haven’t lived in the Middle East.

I agree that there’s no point carrying on with the political debate here. I’d be happy to take it offline with you if you want.

Read the book if you have time and genuine interest in understanding the Middle East. Message me privately if you’d like my views on anything in it, and I’d be happy to engage.

Respect.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pidge said:

He got less effective as he got older?

Amazing how that works out.

Edit: for the record, fuck him. I can't be arsed really defending the prick at this point, but the myopic crowing about his contributions as a Liverpool player are about as valid and enjoyable as ever.

That’s what I’m here for

• Haha 1

Yes, he was a limited-ability footballer, but he was an integral part of a winning machine.  It's unfair to downplay that.

Just because Morrissey turned into a racist doesn't mean The Queen is Dead is any less genius of an album.  Sometimes the enjoyment of such music does get slightly tainted, but it's unfair to do that.

It's just so frustrating when your heroes turn out to be utter morons.  James Woods or Jon Voight have been in brilliant films, and I will always love those films.  You wouldn't say The Onion Field or Midnight Cowboy aren't great films or great performances because these men are awful, misguided people.

Pink Floyd fans know exactly what I'm on about.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, razor said:

Yes, he was a limited-ability footballer, but he was an integral part of a winning machine.  It's unfair to downplay that.

Just because Morrissey turned into a racist doesn't mean The Queen is Dead is any less genius of an album.  Sometimes the enjoyment of such music does get slightly tainted, but it's unfair to do that.

It's just so frustrating when your heroes turn out to be utter morons.  James Woods or Jon Voight have been in brilliant films, and I will always love those films.  You wouldn't say The Onion Field or Midnight Cowboy aren't great films or great performances because these men are awful, misguided people.

Pink Floyd fans know exactly what I'm on about.

Morrissey is a twat and his music is fucking woeful. The Smiths were absolute manc dross.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I don't imagine Liverpool is any more anti Saudi than any other reasonable set of people. I don't know of many in Liverpool, or elsewhere for that matter, who support mass public beheadings, the torture and murder of rape victims, state sponsored murder of journalists or the imprisoning of LGBTQ+ folk.

Henderson is a lying cunt in saying it's not about money. That he wants to change peoples' minds etc. What a load of shite. And that photo of him and Stevie barely able to conceal their glee at their untold multimillions in blood money makes me spew. I don't care that he's gone there, just stop fucking lying about the reasons.

All hyperboles.

Go and see what crimes our great country is facilitating for the only democracy in the Middle East. 

Whatever wrongdoing occurring in Saudi Arabia can be pinpointed to the specific ruling elites, in our case we elect the morons that go onto commit vile crimes around the world so also have blood on our hands - no doubt most people in Liverpool elected Tony Blair into power and look what he did to the people of Iraq and else

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Planet Origi said:

All hyperboles.

Go and see what crimes our great country is facilitating for the only democracy in the Middle East. 

Whatever wrongdoing occurring in Saudi Arabia can be pinpointed to the specific ruling elites, in our case we elect the morons that go onto commit vile crimes around the world so also have blood on our hands - no doubt most people in Liverpool elected Tony Blair into power and look what he did to the people of Iraq and else

So it’s ok that LGBT people are imprisoned and killed, leave poor Jordan alone for not standing by what he said. Ok. We fucking know what crimes the UK governments commit and loads of us here slag them off everyday for being the absolute fucking whoppers they are, including Blair’s twat of a war, we slag them and him off, loads of us. Now we are slagging Henderson off for being a hypocritical prick and some of us are calling the Saudi regime a murderous fucking despotic misogynistic homophobic boil on the arse off the world. We aren’t wrong. 
It’s always the ruling elites, here too in case you hadn’t noticed, morons you appear to have also voted for. There’s more than one way to get people to do your bidding. Our country uses propaganda and disinformation. The Saudis use all that and also arrest and condemn to death people who post about them stuff like what you’ve said here about our shitty governments. Henderson made a rod for his own back and now it’s uncomfortable for him. The money will probably provide comfort long term. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bossy said:

So it’s ok that LGBT people are imprisoned and killed, leave poor Jordan alone for not standing by what he said. Ok. We fucking know what crimes the UK governments commit and loads of us here slag them off everyday for being the absolute fucking whoppers they are, including Blair’s twat of a war, we slag them and him off, loads of us. Now we are slagging Henderson off for being a hypocritical prick and some of us are calling the Saudi regime a murderous fucking despotic misogynistic homophobic boil on the arse off the world. We aren’t wrong. 
It’s always the ruling elites, here too in case you hadn’t noticed, morons you appear to have also voted for. There’s more than one way to get people to do your bidding. Our country uses propaganda and disinformation. The Saudis use all that and also arrest and condemn to death people who post about them stuff like what you’ve said here about our shitty governments. Henderson made a rod for his own back and now it’s uncomfortable for him. The money will probably provide comfort long term. 

Henderson can and probably does genuinely hold those views regarding the lgtbt people and support them, but I don't see why that should stop him from going to play in saudi Arabia despite them holding opposing view due to their religious and cultural beliefs.

Just like Mo Salah, Mane and others can come and play here despite the same contradicting views but flipped the other way.

Despite knowing and admitting the crimes that our governments commit, I don't see anyone accusing the Premier League or it's clubs of being vehicles of sportswashing for the UK...like you said, there's nore than one way to get people to do your bidding...

But hey, we're allowed to slag them off, so that makes it allll okayyy. 

I was annoyed at first with Hendo moving to Saudi but I'm over it now. He's a footballer, not a saint so I'm not going to hold him up as some sort of moral standard that we should aspire to. He was a brilliant servant for us, we got some money for him which I never expected and that money has gone towards signing top, young midfielders so I'm not going to be bitter at Hendo anymore. 

4 hours ago, Fugitive said:

Morrissey is a twat and his music is fucking woeful. The Smiths were absolute manc dross.

Right, battle lines have been drawn here.  You just can't say stuff like this, mate.  I'm with JK and Planno, the people of this country are the real brutalisers.

Disgusting.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Fugitive said:

To be fair to JK, if he starts to criticise them himself, he may get crucified or his head chopped off.

Remember, it only takes one post or tweet and…

tenor.gif

I met a Saudi national in the UK a wee while ago who was really concerned about their intelligence services operating over here and keeping an eye on ex nationals. Stated that they would often try and infiltrate groups of friends (on occasion not particularly subtly) and look to test people's views in MBS and others. They had known of people being 'removed' and then not heard from again.

I've not really come across a degree of concern like that except in Syria and China so the apparatus is clearly there and 'doing its job'.

On Henderson he comes across as naive, a bit thick and living in a bubble. He may have a substantially better balance to his bank account, but they basically own his now tattered moral integrity.

Rodgers is a fanny will be interesting to see how the green brigade view his comments.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Where TK and LFD the same person? Defenders of the Lord Henderson, prone to flounces? It amuses me to think so. 

I would have and still do defend him as a player if he'd have accepted Klopp's 'Milner' role at the club. He was an excellent player and an excellent captain but that view has now become insignificant because of his hypocrisy and lies. I'm sure there will be a role for him on some tv sports panel for him to 'reinvent his image' while doing his best Andrew Windsor impersonation in an air conditioned studio.

What annoys me about people saying anyone would go to these teams that play ridiculous amounts of money is that these footballers already have ridiculous amounts of money compared to most of us! Maybe I’m not massively motivated by obscene amounts of money but footballers in the Premier League already have a very very comfortable lifestyle and I’m sure many of them could continue to earn good money by becoming pundits after they stop playing. 
It’s not like the 70’s when many footballers brought a pub or even got a ‘normal’ job when they finished playing. I mean if Micah Richards can be a pundit anyone can!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Rodgers is a fanny will be interesting to see how the green brigade view his comments.

Well this was them when he left Celtic hanging like a slag with her knickers half down to go to Leicester...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

I met a Saudi national in the UK a wee while ago who was really concerned about their intelligence services operating over here and keeping an eye on ex nationals. Stated that they would often try and infiltrate groups of friends (on occasion not particularly subtly) and look to test people's views in MBS and others. They had known of people being 'removed' and then not heard from again.

I've not really come across a degree of concern like that except in Syria and China so the apparatus is clearly there and 'doing its job'.

On Henderson he comes across as naive, a bit thick and living in a bubble. He may have a substantially better balance to his bank account, but they basically own his now tattered moral integrity.

Suspect Rodgers has eyes on where his next job might be when Celtic fire him

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Planet Origi said:

All hyperboles.

Possibly the most stupid, irrelevant, pointless reply I could have expected. Even from you. 

9 hours ago, Planet Origi said:

Henderson can and probably does genuinely hold those views regarding the lgtbt people and support them, but I don't see why that should stop him from going to play in saudi Arabia despite them holding opposing view due to their religious and cultural beliefs.

Just like Mo Salah, Mane and others can come and play here despite the same contradicting views but flipped the other way.

Despite knowing and admitting the crimes that our governments commit, I don't see anyone accusing the Premier League or it's clubs of being vehicles of sportswashing for the UK...like you said, there's nore than one way to get people to do your bidding...

I must have missed those times Mo and Sadio wore armbands with ‘kill lgtb’ woven through. Or that they are from Saudi Arabia. 

10 hours ago, Planet Origi said:

Look  , Henderson's a morally bankrupt little cunt and so are you . 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Planet Origi said:

The stupidest post I've read for a while, from start to finish.

I'll just pick the one point...

The Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, MLS or whatever are not sports-washing exercises for their national government.  They are sporting competitions that grew organically, over decades, on the interplay between what the millions of fans want and what the various private commercial interests want.

The Saudi Pro League is all about the ruling elite of that country trying to distract people's attention away from their many crimes, at home and in Yemen, by buying shiny things.

Players in the "real" leagues are not in any way giving tacit support to that government; anyone who takes part in a sports-washing exercise is.

• Upvote 4