You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst of the TLW Era - YOU decide: Strikers

tlw content

The answer is Aspas, I don't know why people have factored in transfer fees and likabilities into there voting into these polls, people should be voting on how players performed in a red shirt and be judging on that only.

And for that reason i voted Andy Carroll. He was the worst striker i've seen play for us as far as stifling our attacks. Take the semi final goal out of the equation and remember how many times he was seen trotting about on the half way line when our players where trying to attack, Shelvey screaming at him, the dive against Newcastle, the constant fouls every time he jumped for a header.

He moved like a tanker and was hardly ever in the box (Balotelli was much the same last season). At least Aspas you could play the ball on the floor and same with Borini, Carroll towards the back end was a midfielder and at times central defender when we were up against the cosh, it was ridiculous.

It's aspas.

Diouf was rubbish, but he did have a few little spells (especially at one point when he played right wing) where he did ok.

Aspas was rubbish. Really, really bad.

Worst thing is I've just realised while typing 'was', he's still strictly yours isn't he?

• Upvote 1

Aspas.

I remember saying in pre-season that he looked like the player Borini was supposed to be. He had that air of a chippy little cunt who'd never stop running and, from the obligatory YouTube compilations, seemed to have a bit of side to him.

The I saw him play in a competitive match. He had almost no uses. He couldn't go shoulder to shoulder with anyone, didn't have the pace to run beyond them, and his delivery... fucking hell, that corner.

Somewhere, in the lowest circle of hell, there'll forever be a Jovanoic trying head an Aspas corner.

Superb last line.

Very hard to pick just one from that list. Balotelli probably infuriated me more than any other player we've ever had in the first half of last season (he wasn't any better in the second half but I'd just given up on him by that point), Diouf was crap and seemed like a terrible human being too, but Aspas just looked completely lost whenever he was on the pitch for us so the vote has to go to him. Jesus that bloody corner against Chelsea but he was absolutely terrible the whole time he was on the pitch. I'm not sure he managed to touch it once without giving it away. Rodgers could have just brought anyone on from the crowd and it would not have been possible for them to be any worst than Aspas was in those 20 minutes or so.

Diouf is a vile human being, but I remember being in the Kemlyn watching him right in front of me toying with Ashley Cole time and time again.  Truthfully (and this seems bizarre given the way's Cole career went and the way I ended up hating him), I actually felt sorry for the lad.  Diouf could play football.  Not as well as he thought he could, but he was very good on the ball.  That has got lost in the fog of his own making, of course.

Carroll all the way for me.  A truly terrible footballer.  A truly terrible decision.  I think we are still feeling the shockwaves from that disaster in terms of FSG having their fingers burnt.

Both awful in the bigger picture, but Andy Carroll couldn't actually stay upright for the first 6 months he was here.  That takes some doing.

Carroll is a good player. We paid more than we should for him, but he is not as bad player as people say. Jovanovic should be in the list instead of him.

Overall Aspas was shocking. He was worse than Degen and even Koncheski. who also looked like players from lower leagues. Diouf was a shitface.