You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greece

Section_31

Greece is going to get a hammering by the rest now. The propaganda against them will be obscene.

Fair play to them, hopefully they can turn it around and show the rest of the world that austerity and lining the pockets of the rich isn't the only way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If they get cut loose, the banks fail etc, it'll be interesting to see if that's something we'd have enjoyed going through.

Either way it's win/win for those who exist in fantasy nutcase land.

If (when) they fail, it'll all be the fault of the evil bastards who lent them billions.

If they succeed, it's one in the eye for those who believe in fiscal sanity.

• Downvote 2

Iceland is doing just fine.

To be fair though Iceland has a fairly unique position of having the vast majority of their energy needs coming from geothermal renewable sources, that's a hell of a stable economic foundation to build from. The whole financial sector needs completely re regulating and unethical practises punished heavily.

If (when) they fail, it'll all be the fault of the evil bastards who lent them billions.

And I wait.....

And wait....

And.....

Good to see you still sniding Nobel prize winners on the economics rather that answer simple questions though. As ever.

Answer the question about sustainability or politely pipe down.

• Upvote 1

And I wait.....

And wait....

And.....

Good to see you still sniding Nobel prize winners on the economics rather that answer simple questions though. As ever.

Answer the question about sustainability or politely pipe down.

What are you waiting for? I've answered your stupid question time and again. If you can't get your head around the actual fact that people are paid more for five days labour now than they used to be for six, then there's no way you're going to accept a future scenario where people are paid the same for three days work.

That does remind me that we're still waiting for your alternative explanation for how work is going to be distributed when there's half of much of it around in 20 years' time. Still, one rule for me, and another for you, eh.

I have no idea what's going to happen to Greece now. I wish them luck as they're going to need it

You're forgetting, SD, that responsibility applies to the lenders as well as the debtors and if the debt is lent at an onerous an unsustainable rate then the lenders bear the fault as much as the Greeks

Would have thought you'd be more of a Keynesian than a neo liberal...he was one of the great if not the greates Liberal economists 

What are you waiting for? I've answered your stupid question time and again. If you can't get your head around the actual fact that people are paid more for five days labour now than they used to be for six, then there's no way you're going to accept a future scenario where people are paid the same for three days work.

That does remind me that we're still waiting for your alternative explanation for how work is going to be distributed when there's half of much of it around in 20 years' time. Still, one rule for me, and another for you, eh.

No, the question, as you know, was why can you not see it being sustainable to retire at 50 on near enough full pay but you can see it being sustainable for people to be paid a full wage for half the hours (presumably for their whole working life?)

Why is capital going to be overly generous to labour when it suits your point and the decide not to be when it doesn't?

I'll happily outline my thoughts on the question you've just posed (and then dishonestly pretended you've been waiting for an answer for). But let's deal with this first shall we, given that it's actually relevant to the discussion and in reply to something you posted on this thread about Greece.

Very little comment as always about how Greece the austerity measures that were forced on them as part of the initial bail out package caused a 25% decrease in the size of the Greek economy making it harder for them to actually pay off the debt - and therefore required this negotiation of further bail out funds which come tied with even further guaranteed cuts to wages and pensions and transferring of funds to private banks.

Pretty standard mafia tactics - loan them a bit at exorbitant conditions which makes it impossible to pay off, threaten them with all sorts, then go back and take over the business when they inevitable fold.

Very little comment as always about how Greece the austerity measures that were forced on them as part of the initial bail out package caused a 25% decrease in the size of the Greek economy making it harder for them to actually pay off the debt - and therefore required this negotiation of further bail out funds which come tied with even further guaranteed cuts to wages and pensions and transferring of funds to private banks.

Pretty standard mafia tactics - loan them a bit at exorbitant conditions which makes it impossible to pay off, threaten them with all sorts, then go back and take over the business when they inevitable fold.

Yeah don't see how this is a victory. The entire Greek issue is a crisis of worldwide endemic predatory capitalism. Just read the comments sections in left-leaning newspapers. The majority still think the Greeks retire at 55, are tax avoiders and that banks can do no wrong. It will take a nuclear war to dent global capitalism and knock some sense into these morons.

• Upvote 1

Yeah don't see how this is a victory. The entire Greek issue is a crisis of worldwide endemic predatory capitalism. Just read the comments sections in left-leaning newspapers. The majority still think the Greeks retire at 55, are tax avoiders and that banks can do no wrong. It will take a nuclear war to dent global capitalism and knock some sense into these morons.

Yep. Greece will be made an example of. They should ask the Chinese for a loan instead.