You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chels.... Who's arsed?

Oh Buoy

Are you saying he's wrong to do that and should we have went all out attack and risked a loss even though top 4 would still have been very unlikely, as you say he's probably concerned about keeping his job and judging by reactions a loss would not have helped him seeing as there is a lot of people waiting to stick the knife in.

Rodgers was getting labeled clueless by some fans when he was sticking loads of attacking players on late in games and now people are complaining that he played it safe.

Are people saying he should have gone shit or bust to keep our hopes of a top 4 finish alive at the end against Chelsea when only a win would suffice?

I fucking hope so, yes. And it fucking narks me like fuck that he didn't.

• Upvote 2

So your argument, JP, is that Rodgers put what was best for him above what was best for the club??

Duh, obviously Rodgers being in charge is the best thing for the club, so he's actually putting that above what is best for himself, as he gets loads of abuse here when he could be managing Barcelona to the treble to worldwide acclaim.

• Upvote 1

Duh, obviously Rodgers being in charge is the best thing for the club, so he's actually putting that above what is best for himself, as he gets loads of abuse here when he could be managing Barcelona to the treble to worldwide acclaim.

haha!  Ive heard this rolled out before when we were in a far worse state.  

I'm still naive enough to think that the last two results and performances will have an influence on what happens in the close season.

We threw the Real Madrid Champions League game to prepare for Chelsea at home which we then lost.

We threw the Chelsea away game to protect Rodger's ego. Hopefully he'll lose that little stratagem too, come the end of the football year.

One thing Brendan certainly isn't good at is strategy. 

haha!  Ive heard this rolled out before when we were in a far worse state.  

I'm still naive enough to think that the last two results and performances will have an influence on what happens in the close season.

From FSG's point of view I think you could be right mate, but in my opinion only if it goes terribly.  Without anything suitably drastic in those 2 games to shake them into action, I think a change will be seen as too costly/risky should we hit their much-vaunted par.  I expect him to still be here and can't summon enough passion to be fussed either way just now.  I just find the extremes on either side and especially any constant repetition of the same view dull as fuck, but at least most of those of a hardened Rodgers out mindset have stopped short of being a Comical Ali meme, albeit some are tediously seizing on absolutely everything, including stuff as tenuous as Messi being Messi, to slate the guy. 

My faith in him getting it right has dropped below a healthy point.  I have none in FSG and their chosen staff at other levels either, but as Robo pointed out recently, while they insist on a transfer model, you still need to have the person in charge who can get the maximum out of it (even if you believe it to be flawed).  As he doesn't want a DoF, made average transfers in the window he had sole control and appears to have a slender contacts book/pull for players, he doesn't really look like that man, given the commitee is a carbuncle of the highest order and he carries an unknown percentage of the blame for that, made more suspect by trying to wriggle out of having any. 

However fault for the committee's results is split by those who actually know, it doesn't work as a cohesive unit and even if they sack all of the rest of them and exonerate Brendan, we'll be in for more of the same set-up with different faceless names, no history of success working together and our fingers crossed.  I do tend to think now that if we're stuck with the current dictat from FSG on transfers and split responsibility for them, maybe it could work better with a manager who either already has a strong working relationship with a proven DoF, or would willingly work closely with a respected figure in that role who may be able to attract players to us that at least fit what he's trying to do.  No idea on names, assuming Klopp wouldn't want to come here.

There's no real answer is there, even with that straw-clutching, as I don't believe FSG will go for let alone be able to attract a respected figure in the football world (i.e. in relation to proven methods at the requisite level) and they would almost certainly still employ a stats virgin to oversee his choices.  Nor do I believe they should be setting transfer policy or in the model they're trying to force in the first place, certainly not in how strictly it's being implemented to the exclusion of even one of the players in their prime that we desperately need, hence the fucking huge malaise many of us are in. 

But just pretending and seeing what you want to see in every situation regarding the manager certainly isn't going to win anyone over.  If he is kept on at this stage, it's because it's our old mate the least worst option, even with what was a tremendous performance last year factored in as credit...the constant attempts to completely do the guy down on that because Suarez is a pure genius being the other side of the coin to JP's Kool-Aid fuelled defences of him.

• Upvote 1

So your argument, JP, is that Rodgers put what was best for him above what was best for the club??

No my argument was he made a sub to make sure we didn't get hit on the counter but as I said that didn't mean we couldn't go on to win.

I'm fairly sure everyone knows what the reaction would have been if he had put attackers on and we lost but then we didn't even have anyone on the bench.

It wouldn't have helped confidence either which is not great atm and could have affected our form in the last couple of games which are important.

From FSG's point of view I think you could be right mate, but in my opinion only if it goes terribly.  Without anything suitably drastic in those 2 games to shake them into action, I think a change will be seen as too costly/risky should we hit their much-vaunted par.  I expect him to still be here and can't summon enough passion to be fussed either way just now.  I just find the extremes on either side and especially any constant repetition of the same view dull as fuck, but at least most of those of a hardened Rodgers out mindset have stopped short of being a Comical Ali meme, albeit some are tediously seizing on absolutely everything, including stuff as tenuous as Messi being Messi, to slate the guy. 

My faith in him getting it right has dropped below a healthy point.  I have none in FSG and their chosen staff at other levels either, but as Robo pointed out recently, while they insist on a transfer model, you still need to have the person in charge who can get the maximum out of it (even if you believe it to be flawed).  As he doesn't want a DoF, made average transfers in the window he had sole control and appears to have a slender contacts book/pull for players, he doesn't really look like that man, given the commitee is a carbuncle of the highest order and he carries an unknown percentage of the blame for that, made more suspect by trying to wriggle out of having any. 

However fault for the committee's results is split by those who actually know, it doesn't work as a cohesive unit and even if they sack all of the rest of them and exonerate Brendan, we'll be in for more of the same set-up with different faceless names, no history of success working together and our fingers crossed.  I do tend to think now that if we're stuck with the current dictat from FSG on transfers and split responsibility for them, maybe it could work better with a manager who either already has a strong working relationship with a proven DoF, or would willingly work closely with a respected figure in that role who may be able to attract players to us that at least fit what he's trying to do.  No idea on names, assuming Klopp wouldn't want to come here.

There's no real answer is there, even with that straw-clutching, as I don't believe FSG will go for let alone be able to attract a respected figure in the football world (i.e. in relation to proven methods at the requisite level) and they would almost certainly still employ a stats virgin to oversee his choices.  Nor do I believe they should be setting transfer policy or in the model they're trying to force in the first place, certainly not in how strictly it's being implemented to the exclusion of even one of the players in their prime that we desperately need, hence the fucking huge malaise many of us are in. 

But just pretending and seeing what you want to see in every situation regarding the manager certainly isn't going to win anyone over.  If he is kept on at this stage, it's because it's our old mate the least worst option, even with what was a tremendous performance last year factored in as credit...the constant attempts to completely do the guy down on that because Suarez is a pure genius being the other side of the coin to JP's Kool-Aid fuelled defences of him.

I am starting to think the same and that Rodgers will remain due to inertia on the owners part.. I think we will be here in years time when its quite likely we are in no better , and maybe even worse  shape at which point they will have no choice but to sack him. As I see it there is not a lot of upside in keeping him as I really doubt his ability to attract better players or to galvanise those he has into winners. Mediochrity is set to prevail

You appear to be one of those with a short memory as it's happened a few times where he's went all out attack towards the end of games and has been criticised.

You appear to be one of those that doesn't understand that different circumstances lead to different reactions.

Lose or draw against Chelsea and our 2% chance of finishing in the top four becomes 0%. 

If we'd gone all out and lost 2-1 the general reaction would not have been to castigate the manager's decision to go all out for the win.

You appear to be one of those that doesn't understand that different circumstances lead to different reactions.

Lose or draw against Chelsea and our 2% chance of finishing in the top four becomes 0%.

If we'd gone all out and lost 2-1 the general reaction would not have been to castigate the manager's decision to go all out for the win.

Yes it would imo, there would have been fans saying he can't attack without defending and all the usual stuff they say.

I don't think anyone would knock him for trying to rescue or at the very least extend our season - when not going for it meant it is over for definite. 

Roll the dice, win and you stay in with slim hope, lose and you are fucked - don't roll it you are fucked anyway - so it was a free hit.

It was a slim hope anyway - but by not going for it you relegate it to no hope.

Unless you are one of those people who think we are gonna win our last two, the mancs lose both theirs and there will be a 15 goal swing in our favour as well - or to put it in simpler terms fucking lunatics!

Disagree with this.

If we'd have gone all out for the win and went on to lose there'd be people queuing up on here to call him "tactically naive".

He's past the point of no return with a lot of fans so will be criticised come what may.

If he stays this criticism will continue until he gets us back into the Champions League or is sacked.

He's past the point of no return with a lot of fans so will be criticised come what may.

If he stays this criticism will continue until he gets us back into the Champions League or is sacked.

This is true. I can't think of a circumstance where if he stayed and failed to get CL next season i wouldn't want him gone. Maybe the EL or the domestic cups could save his bacon 

Disagree with this.

If we'd have gone all out for the win and went on to lose there'd be people queuing up on here to call him "tactically naive".

So you're saying some people that want him sacked anyway would have criticised him?

So, er, who cares?

• Upvote 2

He's going to get critisized regardless. He's past that point were some of the criticism levelled against him becomes ludicrous. Case in point taking Gerrard off to get a standing ovation from the Chelsea fans, it was obviously a tactical change to shore up the game, but that doesn't stop some from thinking he was doing that to win favour with the Chav fans.

He'd of been crucified on here if he'd of lost to Mourinho's B team when they were strolling around like it was a pre season game.