You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who should be our manager next season?

Paco

Who should be our manager next season?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. who's boss?

Klopp won the Bundesliga when the German equivalent of Man United were slumping. There is no German equivalent of Chelsea, City, or Arsenal and since Bayern have been performing to par, Dortmund have come far closer to relegation than they have to winning the title. If any manager had taken the Dortmund job when Rodgers came here and produced the last 3 seasons Klopp has, he'd have been crucified by the fans and sacked by the board.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you think will happen if Klopp is appointed here?

Klopp won the Bundesliga when the German equivalent of Man United were slumping. There is no German equivalent of Chelsea, City, or Arsenal and since Bayern have been performing to par, Dortmund have come far closer to relegation than they have to winning the title. If any manager had taken the Dortmund job when Rodgers came here and produced the last 3 seasons Klopp has, he'd have been crucified by the fans and sacked by the board.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you think will happen if Klopp is appointed here?

Without wishing to sound facetious, I think he'd sign players he rates and knows he can use, then play them in their correct positions.

I hold out no hope we can overturn the current top four, but I'd at least like to think I was watching some kind of coherent strategy from someone who believed they could. Sadly, I just don't think that's Rodgers any more.

• Upvote 1

Without wishing to sound facetious, I think he'd sign players he rates and knows he can use, then play them in their correct positions.

I hold out no hope we can overturn the current top four, but I'd at least like to think I was watching some kind of coherent strategy from someone who believed they could. Sadly, I just don't think that's Rodgers any more.

And if all the top European teams are performing below par, he has the ability to reach a European Cup final. 

Then why hasn't he done it in his last few seasons at Dortmund? His summer transfers were a disaster and he's been getting hammered all season for signing an expensive, misfiring Italian striker who doesn't fit the way he wants his team to play (sound familiar)?

We had a strategy going into this season and it was undone by Sturridge being injured and Balotelli being shit. It was either persist with a system reliant upon its striker, which clearly wasn't working with what we had available, or try and find a way to win without one. We've taken 40 points from our last 19 league games, which is half a season of top 4 form and yet the Rodgers critics, rather than crediting him for his tactical flexibility, hammer him for not sticking to a set plan. It's mental.

• Upvote 2

Then why hasn't he done it in his last few seasons at Dortmund? His summer transfers were a disaster and he's been getting hammered all season for signing an expensive, misfiring Italian striker who doesn't fit the way he wants his team to play (sound familiar)?

We had a strategy going into this season and it was undone by Sturridge being injured and Balotelli being shit. It was either persist with a system reliant upon its striker, which clearly wasn't working with what we had available, or try and find a way to win without one. We've taken 40 points from our last 19 league games, which is half a season of top 4 form and yet the Rodgers critics, rather than crediting him for his tactical flexibility, hammer him for not sticking to a set plan. It's mental.

Who would have predicted that Sturridge would be injured? It wasnt just the lack of strikers causing the issue. The whole point of him buying the likes of Lallana was to spread the risk across the team not just the striker. In the end he wasnt good enough. The other back up striker Lambert was a pointless signing.

The 20 odd million we spent on Lovren didnt work out either. It took a while before the manager decided to cut his losses on him starting in the first team. 

It comes down to his signings or whether you believe they were his.

In his last few seasons at Dortmund they've been champions once and second twice. I'm not sure what you're alluding to that he hasn't been doing. Do you think they've had a comparable success rate with transfers or footballing strategy to us? Do you think Immobile is as far removed from their style of play as Balotelli is to ours?

I'm not knocking Rodgers for his tactical flexibility, it's his greatest asset, and I think he'll continue to evolve as a coach. But I feel that at a given point a manager can become so focussed on remoulding a side in the short term to get results that the long term plan becomes hazy. Are we a possession side? A counter attacking one? Do we press high? (JP, if you're reading this, please don't reply, consider them rhetorical questions).

I was behind Rodgers when we brought him in. I though in lieu of a strategy from on high - such as a Technical Director or DoF -  that one should emanate from the manager, and that if he had a clear vision results might suffer initially, but we could put into place the kind of footballing identity that makes it easier for us to succeed in the transfer market - no flip flopping from one style to the next, but a consistent line throughout; buy players who fit the manager's blueprint, and don't deviate for the sake of it.

I think Rodgers has adapted well in the short term, when he's tasked with getting our best eleven players onto the pitch, but sides continue to figure those interim solutions out. Right now we're a side set up to adapt, and it takes us time to do so, so cherry picking runs of form won't give a realistic picture, and continually changing just isn't a viable long term solution without endless streams of money.

I'm not knocking Rodgers and beatifying Klopp, it isn't a case of one being terrible and the other peerless, but in our current situation - where I've lost a lot of faith in Rodgers - I do think Klopp would be as good as we could hope for.

There's a difference between an anomaly and the norm. This season is an anomaly for Klopp, he's usually always 2nd and with a good performance in the Cup or the Champions League, sometimes both. This season is the norm for Rodgers who's had one good season as manager which directly correlated with one of the greatest individual seasons ever seen in the premier league.

He failed against Chelsea in the Carling Cup, he failed against Villa in the FA cup, he failed in the Champions league group and he failed against Besiktas. He failed against Man U and Arsenal as well in the run in and then failed twice after that. Thats not even taking into account the start of the season and our league form. If i was a betting man i'd put my money on Chelsea's B team today because i'd be amazed if he didn't fail again, he's already failed about 14 times this season when we needed him to pull something out.

That made me laugh far more than I should have

So, what you're saying is that our strategy was based on a man with a terrible injury record not being injured and another man who's been booted out of every club he's been at for being a mentalist not being a mentalist.

It's genius strategies like this that make me glad Brendan's being paid £3.5 million a year.

It'd be a more coherent strategy if it was based on finding magic leprechauns or talking trees

• Upvote 7

JermainePennant

JermainePennant
  • photo-thumb-50995.jpg?_r=1421857250
    • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
    • 3,076 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

I'll go for the manager who has finished above teams spending considerably more then them in the last 2-3 years, an added bonus is he's working at the club right now and has done it working under the exact conditions any manager would face here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Presumably he will get Suarez back so the players and Brendan look better than they actually are? Or is this the exact same conditions as now, where we suck and have no experience of winning anything and an absolute inability to spot a player? Where office juniors and players who would not get into any side serious about winning the league (bar having a wonderful talent like Suarez) have replaced "the best midfield in the world"? Where we have never defended well, only outscored teams with one of the greatest talents to ever play for the club? Where we now don;t defend well or score very many because we have signed players that do not match our own blueprint of what a forward/striker should look like (requiring pace, intelligence and movement) and defend in a gung ho style with no visible structure? and the current condition of having our brightest young talent refusing to sign a new contract because he is likely disillusioned and played all over the pitch with the weight of delivering placed on his young shoulders because we failed to see that Sturridge, who had never been injured before, has indeed been injured and unable to play. With the current condition of the strikers we did buy being completely unsuited to the task?

I would like the current conditions to change. If you spend money well, even if you dont have as much as others, you can do really well. Henry said we need to be smarter and we do. We have spent enough money to be doing alot better than we have done.

Who on the forum thought that spending £25M on Lallana was a good idea? Lovren at £20M. Balotteli £16M?  

There is some talent in the squad, I want someone who will "get on with coaching and training" these players and bring in some players that give us solidity and quality in important areas.

Anyway, lets get on with the guard of honour and showing the greatness of our club by paying respects to Chelsea F.C, Jose Mourinho and their wonderful achievement. I can see us being hurt, but perhaps  now the pressure is off and we have no chance of fourth, getting a result, because we will play well without pressure or expectation as we have no winners, no leaders and no winning mentality. In short, we can do well when the pressure is off.

Benitez.

He's a more proven manager than Klopp, what he did with us with little resources was nothing short of miraculous,

In his 6 years with us;

Qualified for CL x 5

Got out of the group stage x 4

Got to the semifinal x 3

Got to to the final x 2, and

Won it.

The only time he finished outside top 4, other than this first season, he got the sack.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Benitez.

He's a more proven manager than Klopp, what he did with us with little resources was nothing short of miraculous,

In his 6 years with us;

Qualified for CL x 5

Got to the semifinal x 3

Won it.

The only time he finished outside top 4, other than this first season, he got the sack.

There's no chance Rafa is coming back.

• Upvote 1

There's no chance Rafa is coming back.

5 years ago people would have said that there was no chance that we would have Hodgson as a manager.  And that the same useless cunt would end up managing England after we had a dose of sense and sacked the fucking idiot.

I'm not advocating a case for Benitez coming back, but never say never, especially with FSG holding the reins.

There's no chance Benitez or Klopp are coming here under these owners.

What makes you think that mate?

I really don't see what people have got against FSG. They've been true to their word and have run us fairly well in terms of running a modern day footy club.

Benitez.

In his 6 years with us;

Qualified for CL x 5

Got to the semifinal x 3

Won it.

This was in an era when;

1. Man City were shit. We were expected to be in the top four year in year out.

2. English clubs were dominant in Europe. Real Madrid had the likes of Thomas Gravesen playing for them.

3. Rafa Benitez was seen as a top manager in Europe. Certain players admitted he played a big part in them joining us. I don't think that would happen now personally.

I have voted for Klopp as I think he could help us attract a higher level of player than Rodgers ever will. Otherwise I would keep Rodgers for one more season. 

In all honesty I think its a moot point as we will never really be able to challenge again unless FSG completely change their strategy this summer. We won't compete whoever the manager is unless the club are prepared to offer bigger fees and bigger wages than the rest of the league.

I think you're right there, Megadriveman. If Rodgers goes thi summer, we'll be on our fifth manager in five calendar years. A turnover like that hints at deeper problems.

It's like when fans of clubs like Sunderland and Villa start calling for their manager's head and they get the 'bounce' the new man brings before they're asking for him to be sacked again.

From our perspective, five in five years would should surely be setting alarm bells ringing.