You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

Some Luddite part of my soul insists that pod machines are not right. I have a Gaggia espresso machine that requires some degree of effort and I can make a decent coffee in it, but mostly use a Bialeti stove top. My MiL has a stove top that she has used every day for about 30 years and only ever washed in warm water. The coffee is amazing but she refuses to sell it to me -it will be passed on in the will

Some Luddite part of my soul insists that pod machines are not right. I have a Gaggia espresso machine that requires some degree of effort and I can make a decent coffee in it, but mostly use a Bialeti stove top. My MiL has a stove top that she has used every day for about 30 years and only ever washed in warm water. The coffee is amazing but she refuses to sell it to me -it will be passed on in the will

I also don't like the pod machines and, controversially, I don't think the coffee from them is that great.

I use a stove top (Mokka) pot at home, had it 10 years and, like your MiL's, has only ever been washed in warm water. Used with freshly ground beans it's as good as any coffee I can buy, or perfect for my taste at least, as either as a short drink or made in to a latte.

I also have an aeropress if I fancy a lighter brew and the cafetiere comes out when we have people over. I have a mini cafetiere at work which I'm thinking of replacing with another aeropress.

I like the ritual of making coffee, which is partly why I don't like the pods.

• Upvote 2

Sad, but true: on our honeymoon we went to San Pedro, and visited this place

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g291962-d5534256-Reviews-Caye_Coffee_Roasting_Co_Ltd-San_Pedro_Ambergris_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html

The man who runs it is a coffee fanatic, and really friendly and happy to explain the sourcing of the beans etc (he gets the beans from Guatemala).

When it comes to the roasting process he is a bit paranoid about people finding out his secrets. The Middle Street and Back Street blends are fantastic. 

Had a stove top pot for years til we had ToddleD and then the idea of putting on a mini pressure cooker whilst sorting a then baby, now toddler wasn't appealing.

Got myself a nespresso machine and never looked back. Don't have an issue with the quality of coffee. For me the convenience factor is king first thing in the morning.

I got a milk brother from Lidl for weekend lattes and have a filter thing which goes over a cup if I fancy one, again usually on weekends.

I find African coffee most to my taste, mostly Ethiopian, Harar single bean. I grind it myself, if you can buy a fresh and well done roast, nothing can beat it at that price range. I wish I knew how to roast it myself and had the time, I find that a fresh roast of a pretty average coffee beats slightly stale superior kind.

Went to one of these poncey artisan coffee shops in town the other day. I asked if they had any coffee were the beans had been eaten by small monkeys then shat out only to be collected by loin cloth wearing Amazon tribesman, who were in turn forced to collect said beans by unscrupulous coffee dealers and paid only in cheap beads. The lady behind the counter looked at me perplexed and said " no".

Fuck that. So off I sped to Asda as they had a Kenco Millicano on offer for £4. Sometimes less is more.

• Upvote 1

Went to one of these poncey artisan coffee shops in town the other day. I asked if they had any coffee were the beans had been eaten by small monkeys then shat out only to be collected by loin cloth wearing Amazon tribesman, who were in turn forced to collect said beans by unscrupulous coffee dealers and paid only in cheap beads. The lady behind the counter looked at me perplexed and said " no".

Fuck that. So off I sped to Asda as they had a Kenco Millicano on offer for £4. Sometimes less is more.

I once bought pretty decent African coffee at Lidl, it came in little barrels.

I need a cheap method of making a decent cup at work, only facilities are a hot water dispenser and a microwave so a moka pot is out.

Any sub £30 machine es worth getting?

The wife has a cafetière big enough that it holds 2 decent sized cups of coffee but small enough she can put it in her desk drawer over night.

I need a cheap method of making a decent cup at work, only facilities are a hot water dispenser and a microwave so a moka pot is out.

Any sub £30 machine es worth getting?

Just get a Hario pour over, mate. 

Had the same situation in work - metal filter, fresh grinds in your desk and you're set.