You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Besiktas (A) - 26th Feb

Oh Buoy

Lambert, Borini and Balotelli should go. 

Sturridge and Sterling need better support and options around them. £23m for Lallana and he can't get on the pitch until 80 minutes with Coutinho out and the front three a complete waste of space. 

Lallana's useless.  He's better off on the bench at least you then forget how useless he actually is.

• Upvote 1

The 1st half was a very good European performance for me, and had Sturridge been anywhere near his game, we'd have put this to bed early on. In the 2nd half, we looked very tired, and when Sterling/Sturridge loses out in every duel, and Sturridge doesn't even bother tracking back, we're bound to come under pressure. Thought it was a decent defensive showing throughout, their goal was a result of great interplay and a wonderstrike, other than that we were pretty solid I thought. 

The big problem was that none of our attackers were anywhere near their best. If someone should be lambasted tonight, it's Sterling and Sturridge for me, not Rodgers. You simply cannot expect to go through in Europe with complete passengers lining up upfront. Balotelli wasn't great by any means, but he was miles better than the other two.

They were gash from halftime on. Then why not fucking substitute them?

The cameraman got the suspense of that moment spot on, the indistinguishable hands placing the ball on the spot, then the slow pan up revealing Lovren's face, it was like a horror movie.

I'd just finished posting the below, and gave a sort of strangled, hollow chuckle.  Never thought for a second he would really be on it.

When is Lovren walking up, with the clanging chimes of doom ringing all round Istanbul?

• Upvote 1

Fuck knows what kind of team we can muster on Sunday.....Sterling and Sturridge looked fucked out there tonight, Can treading water.....looking very much like we will have to go with Lovren and or Toure at the back which is a scary thought against Aguero and Co. And up front we look fucked and I can't see how the players can be recovered..

The 1st half was a very good European performance for me, and had Sturridge been anywhere near his game, we'd have put this to bed early on. In the 2nd half, we looked very tired, and when Sterling/Sturridge loses out in every duel, and Sturridge doesn't even bother tracking back, we're bound to come under pressure. Thought it was a decent defensive showing throughout, their goal was a result of great interplay and a wonderstrike, other than that we were pretty solid I thought. 

The big problem was that none of our attackers were anywhere near their best. If someone should be lambasted tonight, it's Sterling and Sturridge for me, not Rodgers. You simply cannot expect to go through in Europe with complete passengers lining up upfront. Balotelli wasn't great by any means, but he was miles better than the other two.

First half was sound. Job half done and could have had it won. Come out second half and it was going wrong and Rodgers does his usual and freezes and doesn't react until they score. It was 30 minutes of real shite that preceded the goal and we did nothing at all to rectify it until it inevitably came. What was he doing? Fucking piss take.

He Won't sign a DM but you can't go away in Europe without one and expect to play out a 0-0.

Fuck knows what kind if team we can muster on Sunday.....Sterling and Sturridge looked fucked out there tonight, Can treading water.....looking very much like we will have to go with Lovren and or Toure at the back which is a scary thought against Aguero and Co. And up front we look fucked and I can't see how the players can be recovered..

They'll be fresh for Sunday.  They did fuck-all all night.

• Upvote 2

We've been humiliated while the more experienced teams like Arsenal and City have shown us how it's done.

Besiktas are no mugs, our team didn't show up and they needed pens to win.

I wasn't even paticularly talking about tonight, more our embarrassing showing in the CL group. It's just been awful all round.

I thought Mario did ok, at least he put himself about. The midfield and defence were comfortable first half. Sturridge and Sterling were dreadful, they seemed to believe they were too good to be on the same pitch as the opposition, they let their teammates and manager down tonight. Rodgers was to slow in hooking Sturridge or Mario, and should take a large portion though not all the blame.

I wasn't even paticularly talking about tonight, more our embarrassing showing in the CL group. It's just been awful all round.

But let's not forget that after the crap start to the season we are now the form team in the league and only a few points from third, with Blackburn at home for the FA cup. Even Mario is starting to put in a shift. Perspective, please.

• Upvote 1

I think the plan was for Rodgers to say to Lovren "Son, this is a chance to make all the doubters stop doubting, and the haters to flee for their lives. Son, I place this responsibility on you because I believe in you son, always did, and always will. Son, make us proud!"

Lovren steps up, nails the penalty, Chariots of Fire music rises up in the background, Pascoe falls to his knees hugging Rodgers at the waist as the fist, that fist, is raised in glorious vindication, whilst Lovren's teammates carry him on a victory lap.

Something like that.

I think the plan was for Rodgers to say to Lovren "Son, this is a chance to make all the doubters stop doubting, and the haters to flee for their lives. Son, I place this responsibility on you because I believe in you son, always did, and always will. Son, make us proud!"

Lovren steps up, nails the penalty, Chariots of Fire music rises up in the background, Pascoe falls to his knees hugging Rodgers at the waist as the fist, that fist, is raised in glorious vindication, whilst Lovren's teammates carry him on a victory lap.

Something like that.

Even if he'd have scored he'd still be a shit defender.

They were gash from halftime on. Then why not fucking substitute them?

Might have made a case for Lallana for Sturridge I guess, but there was no way we were taking away some of our pace up front with them coming at us and giving us opportunities on the counter. Balotelli being on a yellow and not having the best of luck with the ref might have played on his mind too I'd imagine. I'd have kept him on instead of either of the two S's for what it's worth. Lambert and Manquillo weren't exactly likely options to turn the tie (as they proved) either. 

The injuries and our tough programme leading up to this f***ed us more than any of Rodgers' decisions tonight imo. Perhaps keeping one of Sturridge and Balotelli on the bench from the start would have been a more salient approach, but I think Rodgers' thought we were going to score with that lineup, I fancied us to do so too. 

Something like that.

Sadly, the words would be more like

Go take one lad, those who should dont have the bollocks, so take it, and if you fuck it up, they will be lambasted for being fucking whimps, and you will be ok, ok ok.

Then I will have to explain why I made such shite team selections such shite restings and such shite subs.

ok ok ok

Do you like my teeth?

Totally hate him but this is what separates the likes of that cunt Mourinho and Rogers when they see its going wrong like in the second half they change is rather than sitting there doing nothing. I like Rogers but I shudder to think how good Paisley would have been with three subs as he he usually only had Davey Fairclough to throw on.....!

Several questions...... W stands for WHY

WTF was Ibe, possibly the best thing to come out of this tenure, playing so far back

• Besides getting no luck out of their LB (who I thought was very good - and lightning quick)? 

WTF was he taken off for a player who has been nothing but shit since we got him????? mankiniquelo.

• Because he had taken a knock and was hobbling?

WTF did Lovren take a penno when Raheem everybody rates him Sterling was on the field????

• Because the management team has seen Sterling shoot (and take a pen) before?

WTF did we lose to a team who were so very obviously there for the taking

• Every favourite wins every football match. You should try betting on it - very lucrative...

WTF did we rest players who could have won that game easily?????

• Because this tournament isn't our biggest priority?
  • Because we've been through a murderous fixture list lately?

WTF wasnt Lallana on from the start instead of billy elliot

• I gather you think of Sturridge with the dancing reference? He's a more likely goal threat than Lallana don't you think?

WTF does everyone think BR is a tactical genius. when he is a total fuckwit?

• Takes one to know one, I guess...

Apart from that

Nothing more to add.

Me neither