You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Which is why he had a testimonial to commemorate it last year. 

Let's get this straight. The club decided to go big on this 16 year anniversary. The club decided to make the matchday programme an anniversary one. The club pushed this anniversary all fucking week pre match.

Only the club could sanction this stunt.

I highlighted the fact someone considers playing for the same club for 16 years to be a 'nothing' anniversary. In the context of a footballer playing for one team, in the highest league it is not a 'nothing' anniversary.

Brendan should be picking players on form and to meet tactical requirements, not on "anniversaries".

If Steve wants to go out for a meal with his missus on the night, that's fair enough. but that is the sum of it.

I highlighted the fact someone considers playing for the same club for 16 years to be a 'nothing' anniversary. In the context of a footballer playing for one team, in the highest league it is not a 'nothing' anniversary. Very few players get to 10 years with the same club.

And you decided to jump in by suggesting the issue was to do with taking the manager to task for not selecting him for the game.

Again, totally inaccurate.

He said it was a "nothing number", not a nothing anniversary. It's obvious what he was saying. That people don't make a big issue of a 16th anniversary and not that him being here for that length of time is insignificant. The point is that the media has been drawing some sort of significance from him not being in the starting eleven on Saturday despite it being this anniversary that people don't actually celebrate, I didn't say you had said he should play because of it. You assumed that I meant that because I quoted your post presumably.

He said it was a "nothing number", not a nothing anniversary. It's obvious what he was saying. That people don't make a big issue of a 16th anniversary and not that him being here for that length of time is insignificant. The point is that the media has been drawing some sort of significance from him not being in the starting eleven on Saturday despite it being this anniversary that people don't actually celebrate, I didn't say you had said he should play because of it. You assumed that I meant that because I quoted your post presumably.

Nice try but no cigar. The number is linked to the anniversary. They're one and the same in this context.

I dont see any sensible fan saying the manager should have played him because of the anniversary.

One of the best midfield players I saw play was Glen Hoddle. He never had pace, didnt tackle or track back and wasnt much cop in the air. The things Hoddle could do Gerrard can do just as well.

If we let him go he will go somewhere else where the manager will play him in the correct position as a number 10 and Liverpool FC will look like a bunch of twats. 

Our fans who dont recognise this and want him out are completely blind to how good Gerrard still is.

I didn't say any sensible fan should. Jesus wept, are you deliberately ignoring the point? The previous poster clearly was not diminishing in any way the fact that he's been here for 16 years as you seem intent on misrepresenting.

Jesus fucking wept.

I said no sensible fan is criticising the manager for not selecting him because it was an anniversary. That's me saying it, not saying you said it. Where the fuck did I say you said it?

I dont even know why you jumped in when I was exchanging with someone else. As I said, the club built all this up. The club made the anniversary of his debut 16 years ago to the day as part of the pre match build up.

If you dont like it, blame the fucking club.

The club made the anniversary of his debut 16 years ago to the day as part of the pre match build up.

They don't get much bigger do they?

My missus insisted on a big bash for our 16th, who could forget the sixteenth anniversary of our first Big Ears? Or the Stone Roses sixteenth anniversary tour?

• Upvote 1

any idea what money hes been offered?

I ve seen on here hes on 170k but papers say 120k.

even if he was offered half of what hes on he ll be getting well paid.

did scholes and giggs have to take pay cuts as they got older? scholes prob came back and played for nothing.

any idea what money hes been offered?

I ve seen on here hes on 170k but papers say 120k.

even if he was offered half of what hes on he ll be getting well paid.

did scholes and giggs have to take pay cuts as they got older? scholes prob came back and played for nothing.

I've seen reports that he's on £120k, £140k and £170k a week.

Yes, even on half the lowest suggested rate he'd be well paid but that's not how you should think. Like a lot of people who can dictate to a degree what their pay is, he'll consider what he is worth overall to the club and possibly what he could earn elsewhere.

I very much doubt scholes came out of retirement and played for free.

That said, there's an 'exclusive' in one rag saying gerrard is thinking of hanging his boots up at the end of this season now.

except he wouldn't. In similar to Lampard's role now in City with limited game time - maybe,

I've taken the point that he would not be the main man in those teams, but used properly in the right position he would be an extremely important player.

Gerrard has always had loads more natural ability than Lampard and is a different type of player.