You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Lampard is getting a reputed £170k a week courtesy from New York City \ Man City. He wouldnt be doing this bit part role for city though at 60k a week, would he?

Probably not, but I suspect he would have done it for that sum if he'd been kept on by Chelsea. I think he would have been content to stay at that club and see out his career. 

As for Gerrard, I'm sure money doesn't come into it at all. I just hope he listens to people other than his agent. A short spell in the US might suit his shopoholic wife, but would it really satisfy him as a hugely competitive and proud player? I doubt it. A year or two in Italy or Spain might prove worthwhile, but he'll probably not understand the language before it's time for him to leave there (nor justify, as a family man, the disruption it'll cause his kids). His best chance to evolve from player to coach, or higher, at LFC rests in staying inside. I can't see him 'earning' the right to return in some other capacity, other than something ambassadorial, by managing at some lower league side. It depends what he wants to do, but it seems to me a bit late for him to take on a new challenge elsewhere. Better to stay like Bryan Robson did at the mancs, getting a late bit of glory in a lesser role. 

• Upvote 2

I couldn't see any of the top six or seven being interested, and the rest would struggle to pay his wages. I'd imagine he's on more than the entire squads of about three or four of the sides in La Liga.

An MLS side and possibly loaned back to someone in the Premier League for a few months of season (Like Lampard) seems most likely if he leaves.

That's a load of rubbish and you know it about none of the top 6-7 teams would want him. The top three in Spain would definitely have him. Has to be a deep sea fishing trip there mate, seriously?

Put any personal feelings you have of him aside, and I don't know what they are, but every single one of those teams would certainly have a crack at him because he is arguably one of the greatest football players of his generation.

The issues as I see at the moment with Gerrard is game time, acceptance of role in the squad and position.

He should be used in bigger games for shorter bursts in an attacking position.

Mentally for one of the greatest football players of his generation that is a tough transition to make from being captain, playing every minute of every game and trying to put longevity in his game time playing minutes by playing out of position.

Being the captain I think has also complicated this a lot more than people realise. 16 seasons yesterday in the Premier League, you know all the goals. For Brendan Rodgers it must be one hell of a shit position to be in.

Kenny did it to himself. Steven won't have that luxury.

So does selling him or letting him go become the better option for club, player and supporters? Italy and Spain offer some great options and would give him some additional longevity in his career.

Such a shame that we have got so close to let him win it here, wouldn't begrudge him going to City to do it.

• Upvote 1

That's a load of rubbish and you know it about none of the top 6-7 teams would want him. The top three in Spain would definitely have him. Has to be a deep sea fishing trip there mate, seriously?

Put any personal feelings you have of him aside, and I don't know what they are, but every single one of those teams would certainly have a crack at him because he is arguably one of the greatest football players of his generation.

Yeah, I can see Real Madrid and Barcelona getting involved in a huge bidding war. You're right he was one of the greatest football players of his generation. Now, he isn't. 

He wouldn't get in to the Sevilla side, that has nothing to do with "personal feelings" and everything to do with watching La Liga.

• Upvote 2

Going against the grain but a move could be good for him, reinvigorate him. He must look at Lampard at City and fancy a bit of a change. You could see City offering him a contract or one of the Spanish sides.

lampard is different. hes won everything at chelsea and then moved.

Probably not, but I suspect he would have done it for that sum if he'd been kept on by Chelsea. I think he would have been content to stay at that club and see out his career. 

As for Gerrard, I'm sure money doesn't come into it at all. I just hope he listens to people other than his agent. A short spell in the US might suit his shopoholic wife, but would it really satisfy him as a hugely competitive and proud player? I doubt it. A year or two in Italy or Spain might prove worthwhile, but he'll probably not understand the language before it's time for him to leave there (nor justify, as a family man, the disruption it'll cause his kids). His best chance to evolve from player to coach, or higher, at LFC rests in staying inside. I can't see him 'earning' the right to return in some other capacity, other than something ambassadorial, by managing at some lower league side. It depends what he wants to do, but it seems to me a bit late for him to take on a new challenge elsewhere. Better to stay like Bryan Robson did at the mancs, getting a late bit of glory in a lesser role. 

Fully agree .  I would be amazed if he uprooted his family and moved abroad at his age.

Yeah, I can see Real Madrid and Barcelona getting involved in a huge bidding war. You're right he was one of the greatest football players of his generation. Now, he isn't.

He wouldn't get in to the Sevilla side, that has nothing to do with "personal feelings" and everything to do with watching La Liga.

A huge bidding war over a free agent would certainly be a sight to see I agree and therefore highly improbable.

He would be brilliant in the Valencia side though and that too is based on watching La Liga. Bilbao would be even better except for the rules they have.

(Edit - Took out one word "probably")

A huge bidding war over a free agent would certainly be a sight to see I agree and therefore highly improbable.

He would be brilliant in the Valencia side though and that too is based on watching La Liga. Bilbao would be even better except for the rules they have.

(Edit - Took out one word "probably")

He wouldn't get in the Valencia side. Bilbao aren't a top six or seven side. Where would you be playing him in these sides? Or in Barcelona's?

• Upvote 1

Steven Gerrard has been offered new Liverpool deal, reveals Brendan Rodgers

• Brendan Rodgers confirms Steven Gerrard has been offered a new deal
  • Gerrard's future has appeared uncertain amid Liverpool's poor form
  • Midfielder was only a substitute in Saturday's 1-0 win against Stoke
  • Liverpool travel to Leicester City in the Premier League on Tuesday

By Dominic King for MailOnline

Published: 10:33, 1 December 2014 | Updated: 12:04, 1 December 2014

Liverpool have offered captain Steven Gerrard a new contract, His current deal expires next summer and the 34-year-old is contemplating what his future holds.

Manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed the news on Monday and, like his captain, rubbished reports on Sunday that a rift had developed between the two men.

The Northern Irishman, who is under pressure following Liverpool's tough starts to the season, has made no secret of his desire to keep Gerrard at Anfield but he maintains there will be no pressure on the midfielder, who will be given maximum respect as his glittering career comes to a close.

Speaking about Gerrard ahead of Liverpool's Premier League trip to Leicester City on Tuesday, Rodgers said: 'He has been offered a contract here and that is where it is at.'He deserves the utmost respect and deserves time to consider that. It is a big moment in his life to consider what he is going to do at this stage in his life.'

Liverpool currently pay Gerrard £120,00-per-week but finance will have nothing to do with whatever decision he will reach, according to Rodgers. The former England captain could start talking to foreign clubs in 31 days about joining them on a Bosman at the end of the season.

'There are many things he has to think about but it certainly won't be money,' said Rodgers. 'He deserves to think about where he is at in this moment.' 

2398B6B000000578-2855769-Gerrard_left_he

Gerrard was brought on as a late substitute in Liverpool's victory against Stoke on Saturday

2398B3C600000578-2855769-Gerrard_left_he

Gerrard (left) helped the Reds grab a vital victory, which was secured by Glen Johnson's late goal

Gerrard was used only as a 75th-minute substitute for Lucas in the 1-0 victory against Stoke at Anfield on Saturday, despite it being the 16th anniversary of his debut for the club. 

It is not the first time this season Rodgers has controversially benched his captain, who was not selected in the starting line-up for the Champions League clash at Real Madrid. When asked if he and Gerrard had a problem, Rodgers said: '150 per cent no. There is no problem. We have a fantastic relationship.' 

He added: 'Listen, I love working with him. He is arguably the best player in the history of the Premier League. I saw some things yesterday that were unfortunate in terms of a rift between us. But one thing we have together is honesty and respect.

'It is not about the amount of games he will play now. It is the level of games he plays. No matter how good a player he has been, in the final few years you have to taper that.

'Everyone knows Steven's history here, what a player he has been. I need to focus that talent and utilise it in the games that he plays. He is a world-class talent.

'Steven, in terms of what he has done here, he deserves to concentrate on the team. It is just managing the period of his life that he is in. It reaches every player. It is not a problem. It is not an issue. 'All I can ever be is honest. That is how it will always be. He will be a key player here. I hope he will sign a contract.'

While there looks to have been positive steps made towards securing Gerrard's future, Glen Johnson looks destined to leave Anfield next summer.The right back scored the winning goal against Stoke but admitted he was not happy because the club has not yet offered him a new deal. 

Like Gerrard his current contract expires in the summer so Johnson is free to discuss terms with foreign clubs in January. 

'I'm not so sure where it is with Glen,' admitted Rodgers. 'I had a conversation with him a few weeks back and I told him that, whatever is going on, it is in his best interest to keep focused and concentrate on his game. His goal at the weekend typified that, the commitment.'

23A1F56C00000578-2855769-image-37_141743

Gerrard posted this picture on his Instagram page to dismiss reports of a rift between him and his boss

After three straight Premier League defeats the result against Stoke was a much-needed boost for Rodgers. But the 41-year-old boss said his team's achievement had been overshadowed by talk of a bust-up between him and Gerrard.

Asked whether the victory could be a turning-point in their season Rodgers said: 'Stoke had come to Anfield looking to get a result. We didn't get back home until 4.30am on Thursday (after the Champions League draw at Ludogorets). I have a huge amount of respect for the way that we kept the clean sheet. 

'We have not had a great start to the season. But to get a win and see things written the day after of talk about a rift between the manager and the captain, it is very disappointing.'

Well, if the issue is not money, then what the hell else can it be? Playing time, having a say in transfers, having a section of Anfield named after him? In any case, if the club and manager offer him less than what he wants and he decides to leave, for whatever reason, he should us a favor and do so in January - maybe the club can get something for him and re-invest in another player.

He's been a great player, yes; he has been paid a fortune for his troubles, yes. We've won one trophy in pushin on ten years. I's time to move on... for everybody.

He wouldn't get in the Valencia side. Bilbao aren't a top six or seven side. Where would you be playing him in these sides? Or in Barcelona's?

He wouldn't get in Juve's, Roma's or Napoli's midfield either. About the only top European club he might get a game is at Dortmund. 

He wouldn't get in Juve's, Roma's or Napoli's midfield either. About the only top European club he might get a game is at Dortmund.

He'd only be on the bench at any top club he joined and I dont think he'd fancy joining a lower league one to do less than here.

I think he'd do ok at Bayern going for another CL but their bench is huge and he wouldnt win a PL medal abroad.

To be fair, not many players would get in Juventus'. Pirlo/Pogba/Vidal is probably the best around.

I do wonder where people think he would play in these top sides. It certainly wouldn't be as the deepest midfielder in a three because he isn't disciplined enough defensively, and he doesn't have the legs to play as the middle of the three. He could, play as the number 10 for sides that are about our equivalent in Italy, Spain, and Germany (or for us obviously). Playing the first hour, or last half hour, of matches.

Personally, I'm happy for him to stay here on a much reduced contract that befits his role in the squad, and use him intelligently instead of pretending he's still one of the best players in the world and has to play every minute of every game. It isn't fair on him or the club. If he feels that he'd rather play every week for someone else then good luck to him. Go and win some trophies and/or pick somewhere with some great beaches. In fact, if he could stomach working for David Moyes, then get your agent to try and sort out a year in San Sebastian. Or Sardinia.

For Valencia, I would be playing Gerrard just behind Negredo being supported in the midfield with Parejo and Gomes either side of him in the middle.

I think Bilbao are a good, underated team. Matter of opinion. I like their style of football.

Ok so have you conceded with your question about Barcelona that Real Madrid would in fact sign him?

I'm not saying he would be playing every game at these clubs if that is what you are inferring.

It's about winning trophies. If he came on the market clubs would ask the question.

The only real place for him would be in Xavi's position. A season or two in that spot might suit both parties.