You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Being between FSG on the one hand and SG on the other is quite an unenviable place to be when you think about it.

I doubt Rodgers could tell Gerrard to "please have the lounge painted before I move in", let alone tell him to move against his will to one of the most sterile positions on a football pitch. I think it's more a case of SG calls the shots and Rodgers just prays that he doesn't put a foot wrong and piss him off too much. The recent posturing by SG's agent is all about FSG and SG, I don't think Rodgers comes into it.

Perhaps he was told not to make too much of a big deal about the 16 year anniversary in case it made SG's negotiation position too strong. Who really knows what goes on behind the scenes? If you do, then make a TLW account and spill the beans, because any way you look at it, the club legend's agent going to the press to get a new contract is not good news is it? The owners not making him an offer before now isn't a good thing either is it? Fuckry all round. 

Ok so we've offered Gerrard a new deal and Brendan has brought out the fluff & bluster again. Can't wait to hear "he's like a new signing" stuff. Enjoyed the fluff & bluster towards Lucas too. "He can attack" and all that jazz. Rodgers just loves chatting some horseshit.

in fairness all managers talk shite. Most interviews with players and managers are bland and devoid of anything really interesting.

I don't pay too much attention to what he says but I'd prefer listening to him everyday of the week than have to listen to the utter garbage that someone like Mourinho spouts.

To want him out is harsh. To want his role greatly reduced, and to want his position changed is logical because he's being overplayed and underutilized. If there is some filet mignon beef that's cooking under the surface, that's another matter entirely and then I would argue he should go to pastures new for his sake and ours. Nothing will change the fact that he has been an awesome force for us and he is a living legend of our fabled history. 

Ok so we've offered Gerrard a new deal and Brendan has brought out the fluff & bluster again. Can't wait to hear "he's like a new signing" stuff. Enjoyed the fluff & bluster towards Lucas too. "He can attack" and all that jazz. Rodgers just loves chatting some horseshit.

He couldn't even make the bench until the other week.

Rodgers getting slaughtered for not starting someone on the anniversary of their debut (a nothing number as well) is one of the most ludicrous things i've ever heard. 

Rodgers (finally) has seen sense and admitted Gerrad can't be starting three games in a week. We had three games in six days. What was Rodgers supposed to do; leave him out against Ludogorets (causing another shitstorm) so he could play on his anniversary, even though it'd mean he'd have to sit out Leicester or Sunderland due to another three games in a week. 

I've always scoffed at Rodgers for being a bit of a shithouse with Gerrard and lacking balls but when you read and hear some of the nonsense that spews off from just resting him for a game, you can at least see why he's like that.

Rodgers getting slaughtered for not starting someone on the anniversary of their debut (a nothing number as well) is one of the most ludicrous things i've ever heard. 

Rodgers (finally) has seen sense and admitted Gerrad can't be starting three games in a week. We had three games in six days. What was Rodgers supposed to do; leave him out against Ludogorets (causing another shitstorm) so he could play on his anniversary, even though it'd mean he'd have to sit out Leicester or Sunderland due to another three games in a week. 

I've always scoffed at Rodgers for being a bit of a shithouse with Gerrard and lacking balls but when you read and hear some of the nonsense that spews off from just resting him for a game, you can at least see why he's like that.

16 years with the same club a 'nothing' anniversary?

Winning the game was a lot more important than Gerrard's anniversary.

Of course it was. And Im not suggesting he should have been selected because of the anniversary either.

But for people to suggest 16 years at the same club is a 'nothing' anniversary is ludicrous.

16 years with the same club a 'nothing' anniversary?

It's just a date, it doesn't make any difference. If next week was '16 years since his first goal' and then the week after that was '16 years since his first start in the Premier League at Anfield' or whatever, would that mean he has to play. Does Rodgers have to tailor his team selection to account for his birthday as well or 7 year anniversary since he scored his 100th goal? Where does it end? Every other week is going to be an anniversary of some sort. 

Okay it does mean something but that's why LFCtv will make a program about it and the match day programme will commemorate it. What difference it should make to Rodgers' team sheet is beyond me. 

Of course it was. And Im not suggesting he should have been selected because of the anniversary either.

But for people to suggest 16 years at the same club is a 'nothing' anniversary is ludicrous.

It's a long time and he deserves respect for being a great servant to the club but I can't remember any other players celebrating their 16th anniversary if I'm honest. I can't even remember Gerrard's other anniversaries.

• Upvote 1

It's just a date, it doesn't make any difference. If next week was '16 years since his first goal' and then the week after that was '16 years since his first start in the Premier League at Anfield' or whatever, would that mean he has to play. Does Rodgers have to tailor his team selection to account for his birthday as well or 7 year anniversary since he scored his 100th goal? Where does it end? Every other week is going to be an anniversary of some sort. 

Okay it does mean something but that's why LFCtv will make a program about it and the match day programme will commemorate it. What difference it should make to Rodgers' team sheet is beyond me. 

Dont talk shit. Most players dont play for the same club for 10 years never mind 16 years.

Put it another way, he's been in the team longer than Shankly was manager.

It's a long time and he deserves respect for being a great servant to the club but I can't remember any other players celebrating their 16th anniversary if I'm honest. I can't even remember Gerrard's other anniversaries.

Maybe you're having difficulty remembering others players  celebrating 16 years because so few of them get to that time?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe you're having difficulty remembering others players celebrating 16 years because so few of them get to that time?

Look, it's great that he's been here for that length of time, brilliant, he's a Liverpool legend, but the idea that his 16th anniversary should in some way impact the manager's approach to a game is a lot of nonsense. Two totally separate issues.

Look, it's great that he's been here for that length of time, brilliant, he's a Liverpool legend, but the idea that his 16th anniversary should in some way impact the manager's approach to a game is a lot of nonsense. Two totally separate issues.

Ive never said the anniversary should impact the manager's team selection. I dont know why you're trying to make it out to be so.

Ive never said the anniversary should impact the manager's team selection. I dont know why you're trying to make it out to be so.

I didn't say you were either. It was clear what the previous poster was saying though and you chose to highlight the fact he said it was a "nothing number", which it is in the context of anniversaries. Everybody is saying the same thing. Nothing to see here, move along.

I didn't say you were either. It was clear what the previous poster was saying though and you chose to highlight the fact he said it was a "nothing number", which it is in the context of anniversaries. Everybody is saying the same thing. Nothing to see here, move along.

I highlighted the fact someone considers playing for the same club for 16 years to be a 'nothing' anniversary. In the context of a footballer playing for one team, in the highest league it is not a 'nothing' anniversary. Very few players get to 10 years with the same club.

And you decided to jump in by suggesting the issue was to do with taking the manager to task for not selecting him for the game.

Again, totally inaccurate.

Maybe you're having difficulty remembering others players celebrating 16 years because so few of them get to that time?

Did Giggs and Scholes not in the last few years?

I genuinely don't know and certainly can't remember.