You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I want to see him with some proper cover in front of him for at least 6 games before we throw him away. Confidence is a huge factor in footy and our whole team is over thinking it at times. Skrtel was shocking against Madrid on a few occasions but we know he can be decent when he gets some form. And I'm not really a Lovren fan but I do see some moments where he looks like he could be ok. (usually when he takes off the shirt and drives away from the ground but I'm keeping an open mind)

Its the system thats not helping Lovren although he is'nt helping himself either diving into every tackle.And his failure to track runners.

As an aside Graham Hunter described Martin Skrtel as "magnificent" when Slovakia beat Spain a few weeks ago.

whens king Sakho back…time to give dj Lovren a 'rest' .

Wow this really does sum up our defensive problems doesn't it?

Kolo until the window opens again for me.

At Christmas we need a CB and a Striker if we are going to have a realistic chance of playing Champions League football next season.

I'm not even sure if that's the answer. Wasn't Skrtel player of the year not so long ago? I wouldn't defend Lovren. He's fucking clueless. But Skrtel, for the most part, under various managers, has been solid and reliable for us. There is so much wrong at the moment I wouldn't know we're to begin.

From having two defensive midfielders to shield him at Soton, he now has none. Is it a coincidence that our best CB performances this season have come in the two games we actually had a competent DM in front of them? 

He has been wank though, and it's hard to be a leader when you're having complete mares personally game after game. I'd stick him on the bench for Toure, and when Sakho is back, I'd probably go with Skrtel and him. Skrtel is miles away the best CB we have, hopefully Sakho can recover from the physical and mental scars to make a competent partnership.

Strange that though as despite spending 25 million on him when no one else wanted to, rodgers doesn't seem to think so now.

Absolutely marvellous that Rodgers has decided not to play him any more.

Can't argue with that like.  Brendan's entire approach to this season becomes increasingly bizarre.  Feels like it's all been seen before and it doesn't end well the longer it goes on.

Difference being Enrique's a good player Lambert and Lovren aren't.

Lambert, though limited given what we need now (as opposed to when we signed him), currently looks a lot worse than he is I think.  Though he's been far from worth his place on the odd occasion he does get the nod, he also seems to be another of these players Brendan buys and immediately decides he doesn't really fancy.  Doesn't help, but again, he's looked well short and there's no denying it.

Lovren, what can you say?  I'm not Comical Ali so I'm not going to try and mitigate what he's serving up.  Protection or no protection, none of the other defenders look like a granny on ice constantly. 

We gave Agger away more or less for free and spent £20m on a replacement who probably isn't in the top 30 in his position in the league.

Terrible defender who makes mistakes so basic that it's impossible to have any faith that he'll improve.

He should be sold in January.

I'm far from convinced by Sakho but can't wait for him to return to partner Skrtel. Criminal that Toure didn't get picked today.

• Upvote 2