You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you like looking at maps?

Moctezuma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a family theme every year with my wife’s family where we have a theme and everyone gets somebody something on that theme.

This year I got everybody an historical  map/blueprints of somewhere significant for them.

For my father in law I got a 1902 ‘imperialist’ map of Sudan which contains his ancestral home, which was destroyed by a man made damn and lost forever…

C2FD8FB2-B0F1-43F9-A340-1A2296698234.jpeg

I’m winning Christmas this year.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some amazon voucher money so was looking around at some different stuff than games for a change. This looks good, you need some real maps you geeks :

edit - ordered it, mainly because I used to like looking at the maps when reading Lord of the Rings/Silmarillion, here if anyone else is interested : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Tolkiens-Middle-earth-Karen-Fonstad/dp/0008194513/

• 2 months later...

Map revision required!

The remote Pacific island which inspired Herman Melville's Moby-Dick has been in the wrong place for 85 years, the Royal Navy has discovered.

Henderson Island, one of four islands in the remote Pitcairn chain, is one mile south of the position marked on charts used by mariners the world over since 1937.

Patrol ship HMS Spey confirmed the error as part of ongoing efforts to check and update charts of waters around British Overseas Territories, and improve navigation using sonar, airborne laser techniques and satellites to better understand, manage and protect the islands.

Melville based Moby-Dick on the true story of the American whaling ship Essex, which was sunk in mid-ocean by a 40-foot sperm whale, with the survivors managing to sail to Henderson in a lifeboat.

The island is about the size of Oxford, but uninhabited.

Lieutenant Michael Royle, the ship's navigator, used radar imagery gathered by Spey’s sensors and GPS positioning, overlaying the details on the existing charts of the Pitcairn chain.

“In theory, the image returned by the radar should sit exactly over the charted feature – in this case, Henderson Island,” Lt Royle said.

“I found that wasn’t the case – the radar overlay was a mile away from the island, which means that the island was plotted in the incorrect position when the chart was first produced.

“The notes on the chart say that it was produced in 1937 from aerial photography, which implies that the aircraft which took the photos was slightly off in its navigational calculations.”

Royal Navy member carries out a photography survey of Henderson Island as part of ongoing checks of waters around British Overseas Territories
Royal Navy member carries out a photography survey of Henderson Island as part of ongoing checks of waters around British Overseas Territories

Henderson Island was last visited by the Royal Navy in late 2018 when HMS Montrose conducted an environmental survey to study the impact of plastics in the oceans.

Pacific currents dump masses of debris on the shoreline of the British Overseas Territory – an estimated 270 objects every day, with as many as 40 million items of plastic and rubbish scarring Henderson’s beaches, earning it the title "most polluted island in the world".

The crew also took water samples from all of the Pitcairn islands.

“Scientists in the UK have really scant data about the ocean in this region – its salinity, temperature, water pressure and the like,” Lt Royle added. “They are keen to understand climate change in the area.”

Henderson Island
Henderson Island Credit: LPhot Joe Cater

The ship also conducted patrols in the waters around the islands to deter and defend against illegal fishing, in partnership with the UK’s satellite monitoring programme run by the Marine Management Organisation.

Portsmouth-based Spey is on a five-year mission to the Indo-Pacific region with her sister HMS Tamar, a mission which has already seen her help the people of Tonga in the wake of the recent tsunami.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/11/henderson-island-has-wrong-place-85-years-royal-navy-discovers/

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Melville based Moby-Dick on the true story of the American whaling ship Essex, which was sunk in mid-ocean by a 40-foot sperm whale, with the survivors managing to sail to Henderson in a lifeboat.

Can we have some fucking spoiler tags around this please 

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...