You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Reina was absolute dogshit for two years.  No-one wanted to say it, because we all loved him and thought he could still be world class on his day.  His day wasn't happening any more though, and what we were left with was a want-away goalie who couldn't cut the mustard anymore, costing us a huge wedge.

Mignolet may be some steps away from being world class, but Reina's even further away, and he's only going one way.   

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think people need to watch the highlights of the season again and remember just how many times Mignolet pulled our tits out of the toaster.

Totally agree. I watched the 'all saves' video. Some really brilliant saves at really important times of the game.

Nothing wrong with that keeper.

HE certainly has some areas where he can improve, but he's part of a unit that needs to be working better overall.

• 2 months later...

He's fucking shit, said so from day one.

One part of his game, shot stopping he's better at than Reina. The rest, Reina absolutely fucking pastes him.

And that's Reina now, comparing a 26 year old Reina to 26 year old Mignolet is a fucking sick joke.

He breeds absolutely zero confidence in the back four, he is unable to take charge and his distribution consists of knocking it out for a throw in near the halfway line or or sand wedging a ball to Johnson that spins faster than the earth rotates and goes higher than Lindsey Lohan after she's spotted an open bathroom stall and is even harder to control.

He's not that much of an outstanding shopper though if people can name the saves he's made over the course of a season where we've conceded 55 goals.

Reina is gone and in the history books but his style of goalkeeping isn't and that's what is required. What we have now is a complete mismatch and one that needs fucking off either before the window closes or in January.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mig as shot stopper - yes, all keepers let some in.

Mig as start of the attack - no, he doesn't get it yet (will he ever? time will tell). He puts us under pressure with his spaz floatito kick that the opposition can see coming a mile away.

If he is being coached daily on how to kick the ball and he still can't do it, then he must be replaced. If he is not being made to focus on it , then why the fuck not?

I think it is broader than the Goalie / Skrtel / Johnson / Sakho / Lovren being shit.

Brendan has to decide whether he is genuinely interested in doing the necessary to reduce the goals against column by buying a mobile defensive midfielder & offering more support to the full backs , or make it plain that we are just looking to outscore teams and that we should expect to keep conceding 2 goals a game minimum.

I personally would tend to take the 'outscoring' route in home matches with a 4132, but look to tighten up away from home with a 4231.

Yeah, you're right. Not sure if there's an easy solution though.

We could tell our really good playmaking midfielder to come deep for it like he already does. Just pass it to a fullback failing that. He always kicks it to the same place. It sometimes feels like we're resigned to having a shit defence so simply want a keeper who's really good on his line.

We could tell our really good playmaking midfielder to come deep for it like he already does. Just pass it to a fullback failing that. He always kicks it to the same place. It sometimes feels like we're resigned to having a shit defence so simply want a keeper who's really good on his line.

I think other teams would suss that out pretty quickly and it would cause more issues than it solves. 

Yeah they would and I suppose that's the plan isn't it? If we're drawing them on us then that would be a really good time to have a goalie who can kick accurate passes to our advanced players but his always go about 50 yards out towards the sideline. It's frustrating because if he was quick off his line and had better distribution he'd be a great goalie for us. He needs to be a bit more mental as well.

I don't think he's even in the top 10 keepers in the Premier League.

Apart from shot stopping he is average at best in every other facet of his game, even his shot stopping is a little over rated, he does make some brilliant saves but would a top keeper have let those 3 in last night? i don't think so.

You can tell he isn't really sure of himself, he has a nervousness about him at times and doesn't have that air of confidence about him like top goalkeepers do.