You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Would you take Mascherano back?

tlw content

I think he's now too old to play the Rodgers way.

Lucas is proving that.

No need for him to come back.

We need someone with the qualities that he has/had, but they need to be 6/7 years younger.

Rodgers wants high tempo pressing.

You can see what that style has done to an, albeit small, squad this season.

Even without CL football, they were fucked by the end.

A bigger squad would help with that, but i would pass on this one.

I suppose if Rodgers was looking at a bench player to stabilise things when 2/3 up, then maybe it could work, but he wouldn't be a starter for me now.

Not with Brendans style.

Agree with most of this. I don't think he IS too old, but rather that he WILL be in the not to distant future. This combined with the type of player he is makes it a non starter for us I think. At Barca he was also an option at CB, which he wouldn't be in the premiership. Wouldn't fancy him at CB against fat Sam kinda football.

Agree with most of this. I don't think he IS too old, but rather that he WILL be in the not to distant future. This combined with the type of player he is makes it a non starter for us I think. At Barca he was also an option at CB, which he wouldn't be in the premiership. Wouldn't fancy him at CB against fat Sam kinda football.

RedsHADOW?

chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg

The Liverpool Way approves of this transfer, commence operation "bring Masch home" at 16 hundred hours, 17th May 2014. Mobilise Ian over the Iberian peninsula, and inform Rodgers that the babelcopter is armed and ready for dispatch at his discretion, godspeed John Glenn. 

I think we need to sure things up defensively and that must be priority. We're playing more games and maybe going further in the cups so we need that extra dependability in the midfield. Masch or another player like him but who else without paying a big portion of the transfer budget.

he was pretty good today - and that's in a Barcelona team where for long periods, he was the only defender.

He made some superb tackles, especially in the second half. Would have him back, no bother. 

Clearly he is a good player, as we all know, but where do those people in favour of his return see him playing in a BR team?  I personally do not rate him as a centre back so don't see any great improvement on what we already have. He now lacks the pace to be a full back in our team. If we look to play him alongside Gerrard then we lose an attacking midfielder thereby reducing our offensive threat. 

I just can't see it happening anyway. If his wife was too thick to learn English in the five years she spent in the UK I am pretty sure she won't have bothered while she was living in Barcelona.

Clearly he is a good player, as we all know, but where do those people in favour of his return see him playing in a BR team? I personally do not rate him as a centre back so don't see any great improvement on what we already have. He now lacks the pace to be a full back in our team. If we look to play him alongside Gerrard then we lose an attacking midfielder thereby reducing our offensive threat.

I just can't see it happening anyway. If his wife was too thick to learn English in the five years she spent in the UK I am pretty sure she won't have bothered while she was living in Barcelona.

Gerrard won't play every game next year, not by a long shot. We've got the CL and he's getting older. You can never have too many options and a midfield enforcer with a good footy brain who doesn't give a flying fuck is someone we've been crying out for for since Masch left.

I think Gerrard is our greatest ever player but he's going to become a luxury player, someone you want in big games or against sides where he can dictate the pace, like an Evans era Barnes on steds.

The tragedy of Barnes is he was given the job of dictating the play AND winning the ball back, and the older he got the more it became glaringly obvious he couldn't do it. We got Ince to replace him but I thought we should have got him to complement him instead.

I don't want to see Gerrard be forced down the road of being expected to keep on being all things to all men until he's shown up publicly again and again as being past it and then is just unceremoniously dropped. He needs to be treated like the king on the chess board, he doesn't need the moves because the other pieces have got his back. Steven Gerrard moved slow, but that's because Steven Gerrard didn't have to move for nobody.

• Upvote 1