You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gin

Champ

Gin is my only drink.

Of the ones mentioned only Hendricks tastes significantly different, though some are smoother than others, I would call Bombay Saphire a smooth gin.

But mix your mixers up a bit, a gin and fresh orange is delicious, as long as the orange is decent quality.

• Upvote 1

Fucking love a G and T. Went to a brilliant wedding/reception last year and had about three pints of the stuff. Thinking back, that may well have been the reason for thinking it was such a good wedding/reception.

As much as I like it, I really don't care what gin it is, what type of tonic, or whether I have lemon or lime.

Fucking love a G and T. Went to a brilliant wedding/reception last year and had about three pints of the stuff. Thinking back, that may well have been the reason for thinking it was such a good wedding/reception.

As much as I like it, I really don't care what gin it is, what type of tonic, or whether I have lemon or lime.

Very true - I'd drink it out of a navvy's boot if someone handed it to me.

That said, given the choice I would got for a Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray.

Good shout sir. If you don't want to spend crazy money on the 'trendy' gins these two are the way to go.

However Champ, there's a reason gin is known as Mothers Ruin

Well, when I said I like a gin and tonic, I meant one. A big drinker I am not. I love the ritual of having a drink, and the taste of it but I have no interest in getting drunk. That does nothing for me at all. What a bore, eh?

Very true - I'd drink it out of a navvy's boot if someone handed it to me.

That said, given the choice I would got for a Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray.

I don't think I've ever drank the latter, not knowingly anyway.

I've never been unhappy drunk on gin. It's so rarely drunk in the sort of situation where you're slumped in the corner of a house belonging to someone that you don't know particularly well, or the depressing last orders at a shit pub in a shit town. It's always at weddings, or barbecues in spring. Surrounded by fanny, quite often, I find.

I don't think I've ever drank the latter, not knowingly anyway.

I've never been unhappy drunk on gin. It's so rarely drunk in the sort of situation where you're slumped in the corner of a house belonging to someone that you don't know particularly well, or the depressing last orders at a shit pub in a shit town. It's always at weddings, or barbecues in spring. Surrounded by fanny, quite often, I find.

Yeah, for me it has that 'summery' feel.

It's also my long-haul air-travel drink of choice.

I have recently become a convert to the delights of Gin and while a G&T is all well and good, my regular gin based tipple is the Negroni. An old fashioned glass, loads of ice, equal parts Gin, Red Vermouth, and Bitters with a slice of Orange or a twist of orange peel if you prefer.

Those italians know what they are doing when it comes to a good aperetivo.

• Upvote 2

Champ from your neck of the woods you should defo try Edinburgh Gin. Lovely

The Botanist from Islay is also excellent but the best of the lot is Caorunn. With ice, Fevertree tonic as mentioned and a slice of red apple.

I miss it and used to drink it in a pint glass.

Gin.jpg

It was on offer in Waitrose and what with my £10 off voucher they practically gave it to me. And with the Fever Tree tonic, lets say I'm hoping for a long hot summer

• Upvote 1

I have recently become a convert to the delights of Gin and while a G&T is all well and good, my regular gin based tipple is the Negroni. An old fashioned glass, loads of ice, equal parts Gin, Red Vermouth, and Bitters with a slice of Orange or a twist of orange peel if you prefer.

Those italians know what they are doing when it comes to a good aperetivo.

The first negroni on record was just Campari and Aperol. Both bitter and sweet aperitifs. Then they found gin.

Gin.

I love gin.  Have 4 bottles of the stuff in ours that will be gone by the end of summer.  I want to give the elderflower Gordon's a go, but they only do it in the big bottles (£15) and if I don't like it I'll always be wondering why I never just bought a big bottle of the normal gin instead.  Haven't seen it served in pubs yet either.

I love gin.  Have 4 bottles of the stuff in ours that will be gone by the end of summer.  I want to give the elderflower Gordon's a go, but they only do it in the big bottles (£15) and if I don't like it I'll always be wondering why I never just bought a big bottle of the normal gin instead.  Haven't seen it served in pubs yet either.

Why don't you just buy elderflower cordial and a decent gin?