You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Who are the Lallana equivalents that you're thinking of?

I didn't say there was equivalents, I said it wasn't unlike something they'd do. They've taken players from other German teams, sometimes at a premium and sometimes one the cheap (like Lallana and Rickie Lambert), and it has worked well for them. I can give you examples if you'd like? Rode, Gotze, Mandzukic, Dante, Neuer, Luiz Gustavo, Mario Gomez, Klose, Jansen, Altintop, Lucio, Frings, Ze Roberto, Deisler, Ballack, Kovac, Pizarro, Stefan Effenberg, Hasan Salihamidzic, Oliver Kahn, Helmer, Jorginho, Mehmet Scholl, Ziege, and so on.

Big signings don't instantly guarantee anything.

Real and Barca spent €100m a piece on Neymar and Bale last season.

They were beaten to the league by a team who's entire squad cost less than that. In fact the most they spent on a player in that squad was Arda Turan nearly 3 years ago for 11m.

Fuck Chelsea and City's bottomless pot. And Fuck Arsenal and United's huge investment.

It can be done, against all the odds.

This is now my stance, fuck everyone- the team is greater than the sum of its parts.

• Upvote 12

The question is who will be able to play together as a team?

Good point, because for a start Costa is an absolute nutter at times, and he could disrupt things on a level that Balotelli did at City. He can be that mental that he could probably do worse. Will be interesting to see how he does. (mainly because I think he's going to cause chaos for them in a bad way, which could contribute to them dropping a fair few points over the course of the season.)

Plus, buying players like Lallana isn't unlike something Bayern would do - and have done many times - and buying players like Markovic and Can is like Dortmund. I'd like a really top player to replace Suarez, but I think we're marching in the right direction, even if we're paying top dollar to do it.

Doing a Bayern would be us signing Barkley, Hart, Cahill, Shaw, Chamberlain and Wilshire. Barkley would be like the Gotze situation, Hart = Neuer, Cahill = Dante, Lampard = Schweinsteiger, Ashley Cole = Lahm.

It's be like us having Hart, Shaw, Cahill, Skrtel, Johnson, Gerrard, Barkley, Henderson, Chamberlain, Sterling and Sturridge as a first eleven, with A.Cole, Lampard, Wilshire etc on the bench. 

We're much more similar to Dortmund, because everything is an uphill battle, we can't just cherrypick the leagues best english players even from our fiercest rivals.

• Upvote 1

Doing a Bayern would be us signing Barkley, Hart, Cahill, Shaw, Chamberlain and Wilshire. Barkley would be like the Gotze situation, Hart = Neuer, Cahill = Dante, Lampard = Schweinsteiger, Ashley Cole = Lahm.

It's be like us having Hart, Shaw, Cahill, Skrtel, Johnson, Gerrard, Barkley, Henderson, Chamberlain, Sterling and Sturridge as a first eleven, with A.Cole, Lampard, Wilshire etc on the bench. 

We're much more similar to Dortmund, because everything is an uphill battle.

Nothing wrong with being Dortmund, I'll be proud if we manage to build a club to their standards tbh. I really do see many similarities between Rodgers and Klopp, both like attacking football and players respect them despite them not having much top level experience when they first took over.

Go on, son!

Thanks... Err... Dad.

I'm bored of moaning about Ayre, player x choosing club y ahead of us, or not stumping the money for player z. Fuck it all. Reading back some things I've written over the past few days - I've even pissed myself off.

I have 100% faith in the manager, so whatever happens in the next 6 weeks, I trust him to have us firing on all cylinders again. Perhaps I've been wallowing in the thought of losing the best player and assuming everything from this point is going to be shit. It isn't. Even when Suarez had a rare off day last season - others stepped forward and plugged the gap. No reason why we can't take it to another level.

Chelsea might have all the money in the world, they might have a world class player in each position, but they've got a world class cunt in charge who will find a way for it to fall apart. Every club has a chink in its armour - it's up to us to find out where it is and exploit it.

I said a few weeks ago I'm buzzin for the new season, and after a slight wobble I'm back there again. Got tickets for 2 of the first 3 games as well, so I'm putting my money where my faith is too.

What was it Stevie? We go again? Fucking right we do.

• Upvote 3

A team is greater than the sum of it's parts but you still need top quality parts. Southampton had a great little team a solid work ethic and played good football but lack the quality to do anything other than make up the numbers. We need top players. we have some top players but if we have cash to spend it's a no brainer. We need better players in the full back positions no amount of team ethic will change the fact better players there will improve the side. Liverpools biggest problem is identifying and addressing our weakest areas and whatever fucking team does our negotiating or the boundaries they are given. We overpay when we shouldn't and undervalue what we need. Plus we struggle to sell the accumulated shite we bought trying to be smart in the market.

That said we do actually do some good work aswell and so far I'm fairly happy with our business I think we overpaid for lallana but maybe can will turn out a bargain. It's just difficult not dining at the top table considering we are a behemoth of a club yet city and Chelsea get bought by scum of the fucking earth and waltz around like royalty.

Besides the increase in seething bitterness and hatred, is there any reason we're not in for Barkley? We're not going to replace Luis like for like. I would like to see us have a midfield that just played other teams off the park. 

We have a shitload of cash laying around. We need to sort out the defense, but if can secure a 40m+ midfield signing like Reus or Barkley (maybe even less, I'd like to see us try for the reaction if nothing else), we should. 

And RE: Red Banjo

I'm with you. We have what we have, and it's pretty damn good (i.e. Rodgers, our base squad, our kick ass supporters). 

We are underdogs, plain and simple. We love our history, but we need to make a new era. I'm 34 which means it's been 24 years since won the league. In no way shape or form will I claim our previous 18 leagues like "I was there." Which is why people like Nightcat confuse the fuck out of me. I doubt he was even alive when we last won the league.

Support the team, but don't act like we deserve better based on past performance/history not experienced. It's an uphill battle all the way. We go again. 

I like a lot of what we're doing personally, giving Rodgers the perfect platform to utilise his skill for developing raw talent so we produce Liverpool players, putting an emphasis on the team over stars and playing an exciting style of football.

We appear to be looking at and in the main attracting a more qualified set of young player this summer; Can, Markovic and Origi (and Moreno, despite that deal falling through) all having featured on European and World stage respectively to a fair degree of prominence for their ages, whereas the likes of Alberto were significantly less tested.

Liverpool fans had more sheer fun than any others in the league last year that much must be true, and yes of course it's all about silverware, but the context of domestically-speaking City, Chelsea, United and it seems now Arsenal's greater access to cash and therefore ability to lure and fund players in their peak appears to be an unavoidable fact of life for other clubs, in much the same way as any financially pre-eminent entities dominate competition in other industries.

We've obviously got a plan and last season shows it's got a lot of merit, irrespective of Suarez leaving - he was here for two and a half other seasons without us reaching the overall level of last season, and without him for the ten game ban we kept up our results in the main.

I'm just hoping that with the youthful, emerging side he's building Rodgers is going to bring out his own cover of O'Leary's late 90's smash hit "They're just babies" which featured after every game, as everyone loved that.

• Upvote 2

Besides the increase in seething bitterness and hatred, is there any reason we're not in for Barkley? We're not going to replace Luis like for like. I would like to see us have a midfield that just played other teams off the park.

We have a shitload of cash laying around. We need to sort out the defense, but if can secure a 40m+ midfield signing like Reus or Barkley (maybe even less, I'd like to see us try for the reaction if nothing else), we should.

Because Barkley is overhyped and overvalued.

I like a lot of what we're doing personally, giving Rodgers the perfect platform to utilise his skill for developing raw talent so we produce Liverpool players, putting an emphasis on the team over stars and playing an exciting style of football.

We appear to be looking at and in the main attracting a more qualified set of young player this summer; Can, Markovic and Origi (and Moreno, despite that deal falling through) all having featured on European and World stage respectively to a fair degree of prominence for their ages, whereas the likes of Alberto were significantly less tested.

Liverpool fans had more sheer fun than any others in the league last year that much must be true, and yes of course it's all about silverware, but the context of domestically-speaking City, Chelsea, United and it seems now Arsenal's greater access to cash and therefore ability to lure and fund players in their peak appears to be an unavoidable fact of life for other clubs, in much the same way as any financially pre-eminent entities dominate competition in other industries.

We've obviously got a plan and last season shows it's got a lot of merit, irrespective of Suarez leaving - he was here for two and a half other seasons without us reaching the overall level of last season, and without him for the ten game ban we kept up our results in the main.

I'm just hoping that with the youthful, emerging side he's building Rodgers is going to bring out his own cover of O'Leary's late 90's smash hit "They're just babies" which featured after every game, as everyone loved that.

Poetry in Motion at full pelt after going 2 or 3 or 4 up - untouchable. 

Upon the signing of Suarez direct replacement, Markovic, we hear that the Yesman, fake scouser Ayre flew to Spain to finalise Moreno's deal. A day later the deal collapses. Surprise surpise, the useless, sack of shit did it again... He failed again again.Useless prick.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

'City, Chelsea, United and it seems now Arsenal' ... But that's the problem, is it not? In the world of Champ's League, you pretty HAVE to finish top four, or have the clear prospect of doing so next time.

That is precisely the problem. 

It would be fine if a manager could spend 3-4 years with a young team, accepting mid table for a while, but clubs, especially top ones, refuse to wait that long. 

As great as Rodgers has been so far. 18 months of iffy results and he's gone. Sometimes it's much quicker than that.  And if he does bring through lots of young players, fans will applaud him for it - until they start losing. Then they'll turn on him for not buying proven quality.

It's true of every set of fans and every club, and if you're a fan of a top club, not being in CL is deemed to be a failure. 

The PL is very unforgiving and youth progress at top clubs is severely inhibited because of the pressures to be in CL. 

We've got access to plenty of cash as well. We have more than doubled our TV rights, got to the Champions League group stages and sold our most expensive player. Yet the owners are holding us back. The need to sell up and fuck off, I'm sick of them.

We sold our best player in the world and they brought us Lallana, Lambert and two youngsters. They are clueless idiots.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Upon the signing of Suarez direct replacement, Markovic, we hear that the Yesman, fake scouser Ayre flew to Spain to finalise Moreno's deal. A day later the deal collapses. Surprise surpise, the useless, sack of shit did it again... He failed again again.Useless prick.

So in your warped mind the left sided forward we've been after for three transfer windows is suddenly the direct replacement for Suarez?