You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

No new deal for Glen Johnson but Reds not looking to sell.

Liverpool FC have no plans to offer Glen Johnson a new contract this summer – but they aren’t preparing to sell the defender.

The England right-back is down to the final 12 months of the lucrative deal he penned back in 2011.

Boss Brendan Rodgers said in March that starting negotiations over an extension would be “a priority” during the close season but the ECHO understands that Liverpool are now in no rush to sort out his future.

The Reds are prepared to retain Johnson’s services for next season and run the risk of losing him on a free transfer in 2015. By then he will be nearly 31 and have little sell-on value anyway.

Johnson’s form was erratic for most of the campaign and he didn’t come close to justifying his £110,000 per week salary which makes him one of the club’s highest earners.

Anfield officials believe he has done little to merit the security of a new deal but they don’t intend to off-load him.

Selling Johnson could raise £3million to £4million but Liverpool believe having invested so much in him since his £18million switch from Portsmouth in 2009 they would be better off keeping him for 2014/15 rather than having to splash out on a replacement.

Rodgers will need greater strength in depth to cope with the added demands of Champions League football and knows Johnson’s experience could be important.

486408615.jpg

The Reds’ approach to Johnson is also influenced by the terms of the contract he penned when Damien Comolli was director of football in July 2011. There is a significant reduction in his basic wage during the final year of his deal.

There is a feeling inside Anfield that Johnson is better when he has something to fight for and the hope is that coming back in pre-season without a contract on the table should focus his mind.

Liverpool have been linked with a move for Manchester City right-back Micah Richards but he is not on the club’s summer wish list.

The Reds still hope to agree a deal with Southampton for midfielder Adam Lallana and Sevilla’s Alberto Moreno is their top left-back target.

Also on Rodgers’ shopping list is a commanding centre-back and another goalkeeper.

The manager believes the club’s return to Europe’s elite means they need a third senior shot-stopper to compete with Simon Mignolet and Brad Jones.

The Reds have been alerted to the availability of Swansea City keeper Michel Vorm and Rodgers is considering a move for the 30-year-old Dutchman.

Meanwhile, Lucas Leiva has distanced himself from reports linking him with a move to Inter Milan.

The Brazil midfielder’s future is uncertain as he is no longer a guaranteed starter at Anfield.

“I can say that at the moment I have received no offers,” he said.

“Liverpool have never contacted me regarding this possibility. I can’t say there is a chance of me going to Inter because I am under contract at Liverpool.”

Hunter in the Guardian saying we're after Shaqiri and Bertrand. Also interested Lovren at Southampton and looking at Bony. In addition to Lallana.

not overly enthusiastic Bony (actually I think he is shite but he still somehow gets goals), definite no to Bertrand but Lallana, Lovren and Shaqiri would do nicely

not overly enthusiastic Bony (actually I think he is shite but he still somehow gets goals), definite no to Bertrand but Lallana, Lovren and Shaqiri would do nicely

I've never been that impressed with Bony, but he does score goals. I'd be chuffed with Shaqiri and Lovren.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Xherdan Shaqiri and is confident of a cut-price deal for around £10m. (Mirror)

Would like that one to have legs.  Far better player than Lallana & more than half the price.  

He's a totally different player to Lallana, at least in how they'd fit into the team. Would like them both. Wanted Shaqiri for a long time.

• Upvote 1

I was literally going to post yesterday that I was glad we were not being linked to bony like a lot of teams right now, hes shite and lukaku would not cost a lot more while he is a far better player.

More seriously, Maddock is saying Lovren is the primary target.

Sounds too sensible to be true.

Our best cb who is young and needs to keep playing to progress is left footed, we have seen this season Rodgers will not play two left footers together.

Lovrens only done it for one season and I was hearing a lot of bad things about him when he was at Lyon, I hope we don't get him.

He's a totally different player to Lallana, at least in how they'd fit into the team. Would like them both. Wanted Shaqiri for a long time.

Agreed. Would take him ahead of kono any day.

add lallana and shaqiri to sturridge, suarez, sterling and coutinho. With ibe, suso and borini looking to force their way in... awesome.

Our best cb who is young and needs to keep playing to progress is left footed, we have seen this season Rodgers will not play two left footers together.

Lovrens only done it for one season and I was hearing a lot of bad things about him when he was at Lyon, I hope we don't get him.

Lovrens right footed. Can play on the left or right side of defence.

Lovrens right footed. Can play on the left or right side of defence.

Fair enough then but I still would hope we could do better.

A summer window of lallana, bony, Bertrand and lovren would be very disappointing for me.

Not exactly the stellar names we were waiting for the cl to attract, Manu are linked with top quality while we are being linked with mid table prem players.

Fair enough then but I still would hope we could do better.

A summer window of lallana, bony, Bertrand and lovren would be very disappointing for me.

Not exactly the stellar names we were waiting for the cl to attract, Manu are linked with top quality while we are being linked with mid table prem players.

I understand what you are saying with that list but if we signed Shaqiri, Konoplyanka, Lallana and Bony then we've added another 50 goals there on this seasons totals. Even taking one of those players out and we've given ourselves some serious options in attack

Then add in a left back and a centre half and we look a lot stronger than this season.

Xherdan Shaqiri and is confident of a cut-price deal for around £10m. (Mirror)

Would like that one to have legs.  Far better player than Lallana & more than half the price.  

Excellent player.  Can't see him going that cheap though.

I don't like Croats but Lovren strangely.... is called Dejan. We need a Dejan in our team. Sign him up, release the Ayredzilla to get the job done. Did you see what I did there?

Why the fuck is Godzilla appearing every time I enter this forum? I would pay serious money just to stop this crap; or at least I would make an offer below their valuation in what I think it is fair to pay and stop this and wait to see what happens if they accept then good, if they don't, just need to move on I suppose.