You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

So according to the Echo,, Sanchez as part of the deal is not a deal breaker option and the Chilean might move to Arsenal. We are looking for a £75m cash deal.

As per usual, we are TOTAL idiots. We are selling Suarez for the price of 3 Lallanas and we are not even able to secure the services of the only sort of, partly decent replacement.

Welcome to 2010. Back to square one.

Wobble. It's silly season. Suck it up.

And hasn't it been suggested we might have paid about 16m for Lallana? How can you spin that into some negative guff?

So according to the Echo,, Sanchez as part of the deal is not a deal breaker option and the Chilean might move to Arsenal. We are looking for a £75m cash deal.

As per usual, we are TOTAL idiots. We are selling Suarez for the price of 3 Lallanas and we are not even able to secure the services of the only sort of, partly decent replacement.

Welcome to 2010. Back to square one.  

There are two minor differences.

1. Our owners are not about to take us to the brink of oblivion.

2. Roy Hodgson is not our manager.

It wouldn't be a transfer window without the likes of Nighcat, Funnneeeee (yes I bothered to check the spelling) and FEG shitting the bed at every little snippet of 'news' and Twitter bollocks. It's something I've come to expect along with 'Arry's interviews and blatant tapping up from his car window, the humanoids of Stoke and a beaked-up Jim White threatening to blow his load over whichever shapely lass is unfortunate enough to be sat next to him on deadline day.

Read more than a few articles suggesting we could go for Balotelli. Replace one head the ball in Suarez with another.

He doesn't bite people, he will though let fireworks off in his own house! Fucking hell...could we handle having another lunatic wearing the red shirt?

Suarez has a clause anyway, so if they pay it, he goes. This sitting down to negotiate business with Barcelona is simply aimed at two things.

1) If it gets done, hopefully it gets done sooner than later, avoiding another tiresome drawn out saga and the chance of a fresh last minute Carroll-style disaster.

2) We at least try to get Sanchez in return. May be he's keeping options open, may be he's not keen on us and we're trying to save face. Even if he's not keen on us, that may just be his personal choice or preference, rather than how we're viewed by everyone.

But irrespective of all the variables, if Barcelona or anyone else pay his clause, he's outta here, and that won't be poor performance from anyone at LFC, it'll be just the way it goes.

Check how many players they or Real set their sights on who's clubs win the battle to keep them. It may be fucking irritating, but nothing to lose perspective over. If they pay the clause, it'll have been even more simple than that.

• Upvote 3

Read more than a few articles suggesting we could go for Balotelli. Replace one head the ball in Suarez with another.

He doesn't bite people, he will though let fireworks off in his own house! Fucking hell...could we handle having another lunatic wearing the red shirt?

You tolerate Suarez's lunacy because he's one of the best players in the World and delivers on the pitch.  Balotelli offers neither of those things.

You tolerate Suarez's lunacy because he's one of the best players in the World and delivers on the pitch.  Balotelli offers neither of those things.

balotelli strikes me as being really lazy. can't see how that fits in with our high pressing game

I would happily take Pedro if we can't get Sanchez in. Not that much difference in ability between the two imo. But, as someone said above, if they meet the clause, we won't have much of a say in it.

But, my biggest worry with losing Suarez is not really his goals (I think we'll do just fine in that regards) but his absolute hatred of losing. His will to win is unmatched, and with Stevie soon out too, I fear we will be seriously undermined in that department, at least upfront. Coutinho, Sturridge and Sterling are great to watch but hardly great leaders, and I don't think Lallana (yep, Saints captain I know) and Sanchez will truly help in that regards. I don't think you can win league titles without winners in your team. Not saying we don't have any, but losing Luis will definitely leave us short in that regards.

• Upvote 3

They think he's a bit of a headless chicken that runs down blind alleys with the ball and dribbles too much. He's not catalan so he gets judged to a higher standard, they also have to sell to buy so that factors into it.

• Upvote 1

If you read the lines, it's because he's had a massive falling out with the new Barca coach, who he's likely never met.

If you read between the lines, then it's because of falling outs with the alpha males in the Barca squad.

I'm not sure how Sanchez fits into the Arsenal team though. Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain seem to have them wide positions sewn up in a 451 formation. Not sure either would be happy playing second fiddle to Sanchez.

If you read the lines, it's because he's had a massive falling out with the new Barca coach, who he's likely never met.

If you read between the lines, then it's because of falling outs with the alpha males in the Barca squad.

I'm not sure how Sanchez fits into the Arsenal team though. Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain seem to have them wide positions sewn up in a 451 formation. Not sure either would be happy playing second fiddle to Sanchez.

Sanchez is miles better than Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain, so that is silly talk.

Also you should play him as a number 10.  He'd work a treat with Sturridge, able to pull wide when we go 433 too.

I know Suarez is gone, I've expected it. A small part of me wants it as long as we get a fair deal. But why is the consensus that if the "clause" is met, he's gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJ4Rvko2cE

I personally don't mind. I trust Henry and Rodgers. Even if Henry doesn't give a shit about Liverpool I know he gives a shit about success, and while he's our owner he's working to maximize the value of our squad and club.

I know people will say "Suarez is irreplaceable, selling him is detrimental to us gaining success" but it's not. I'm actually an experienced manager. On FIFA I successfully lead Northampton from League 2 to numerous Champions League titles and I can tell you, sentimentality and current best players mean nothing. You always need to plan for the future. Sell players at their peak value. Suarez is at his peak value. Next summer he'll be 28 pushing 29, you're looking at 50m tops. That's a top drawer propsect who you could have for decade, gone for one more season of Suarez. It's time to sell. If he wasn't a loon I may have a different opinion but he's batshit crazy.

So you could go into the next El Clasico with a front 3 each of:

NEYMAR-SUAREZ-MESSI

V

RONALDO-FALCAO-BALE

Holy shamoley. Though who wants to bet this game won't be scheduled until after Suarez's ban is finished? (amazingly, I know!)

So you could go into the next El Clasico with a front 3 each of:

NEYMAR-SUAREZ-MESSI

V

RONALDO-FALCAO-BALE

Holy shamoley. Though who wants to bet this game won't be scheduled until after Suarez's ban is finished? (amazingly, I know!)

I'm getting really fucked off with Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Fair enough if players want to move abroad, I approve of that generally, but every single fucker seems to think the pinnacle of all football is to play for one of these two sets of wankers.

We're Liverpool, 5 times European Champions (more than those shitty Catalan bastards, by the way) 2nd in the English league and our best player wants to swan off to Barca.

Juventus, the biggest team in Italy, 3 x champions in a row, are struggling to hold on to Pogba and Vidal because they've got their eyes on Madrid. 

Even Bayern Munich, the biggest team in Germany, European Champions only a season ago, are losing Kroos next year because he has been tapped up by Real.

I think the world would be a better place if Spain sank under the sea.  And I like Spain and Red Nick.

• Upvote 2

It works both ways, though, doesn't it?

There is now and has always been a "food chain" of clubs, with the bigger preying on the smaller.  The effect might be expanded slightly these days with the globalisation and increased saturation of media meaning it is possible to follow teams from faraway countries now, but it's basically the same concept.

And as one of the largest clubs in the world, we're hardly in a position to complain, are we?  We throw our weight around with clubs like Southampton and cause their players to try to force their way out, just as Southampton does with Burnley and Bristol.  We can't then very well turn around and whinge too loudly when one of the very, very few clubs bigger than us turns around and does it as well.

The real problem is that the players have so much power.  They can and do regularly threaten not to play or to go public with grievances in order to force their way out of a contract they themselves were happy to sign.  However, I can't see any potential solution to this as long as there are multiple leagues in multiple countries for them to join; if it were a situation like the NFL or NBA, where the only alternatives were a massive step down in quality and salary, the league itself might be able to impose some order on it.  As it is, it's a system that benefits Real and Barca most of all, but we're not very far behind that in terms of beneficiaries of a system that allows players to simply up stakes and go wherever they can win trophies and earn a high salary.

• Upvote 2