You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Oh right. I haven't seen that one so can't really comment. Is that the black superhero film that doesn't seem to have been well received, or a different film altogether?

The "not well received" gazillion dollars grossing one.

BTW, Tim-from-the-Office wouldn't be my first choice for the FBI or CIA either.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The "not well received" gazillion dollars grossing one.

BTW, Tim-from-the-Office wouldn't be my first choice for the FBI or CIA either.

It hasn't been particularly well received on this forum but I don't watch 'superhero' films of any description(cartoon ones aside) so I can't give an opinion either way.

I'd imagine making gazillions of dollars makes it a financial success but it doesn't always equate to a good film. I'd also imagine there was a lot of curiosity value involved.

I was among the people pooh-poohing it on here, but most people seem to like it and however you look at it, it was one of the biggest films of the year and probably decade (most talked about, highest grossing, culturally significant etc.), so I would not describe it as not well received.

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I was among the people pooh-poohing it on here, but most people seem to like it and however you look at it, it was one of the biggest films of the year and probably decade (most talked about, highest grossing, culturally significant etc.), so I would not describe it as not well received.

Fair point.

• Upvote 1

Seven Seconds on Netflix.

Crime/police/family drama revolving around  a New Jersey hit-and-run in which a black teenager is killed by a cop, whose unit subsequently try to cover it up. 

Solid series, full of suspense and great acting. Strong characters with elements of The Shield and The Wire.

8.5/10

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Einsatzgruppen: The Nazi Death Squads. On Netflix at present.

This series is harrowing and I've struggled to get through 3 episodes so far but like The World at War it's one of those series that has to remain in the consciousness to prevent these things happening again. A very difficult watch indeed.

Watched ‘Hitler: A Career’ on there the other day. I’ve watched many, many WW2 documentaries but learned a lot watching this one about political events in Germany in the years prior to Hitler taking power. Lots of stuff in it not covered in other docs, I thought. Get on it, J.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Watched ‘Hitler: A Career’ on there the other day. I’ve watched many, many WW2 documentaries but learned a lot watching this one about political events in Germany in the years prior to Hitler taking power. Lots of stuff in it not covered in other docs, I thought. Get on it, J.  

Yeah,some good ww2 on Netflix to be fair. Well,good is not the right word to use but interesting is probably more apt.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,some good ww2 on Netflix to be fair. Well,good is not the right word to use but interesting is probably more apt.

You got a smartTV or a firestick or anything like that? There’s a free app you can get now called UKTVplay. It’s just a collection of shows from the channels Dave, Really, Yesterday and Drama but there’s a shitload of war stuff on there that you wouldn’t normally stumble upon. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You got a smartTV or a firestick or anything like that? There’s a free app you can get now called UKTVplay. It’s just a collection of shows from the channels Dave, Really, Yesterday and Drama but there’s a shitload of war stuff on there that you wouldn’t normally stumble upon. 

Got a firestick,yes.

12 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

The fifth series of Ray Donovan. Why? Just why?

I binned it after the fourth, enjoyable but it was already showing signs that it would soon be past its best before date. Up to 3 or 4 seasons / series is the shelf life for most of these things.

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I binned it after the fourth, enjoyable but it was already showing signs that it would soon be past its best before date. Up to 3 or 4 seasons / series is the shelf life for most of these things.

The fifth series was 10 hours of Ray dreaming about Abby. I understand there had to be some of it, it was his wife after all, but it was half of every fucking episode. Tedious beyond belief. I actually thought she was a thoroughly boring, and unconvincing, character anyway. Killing her off was a good idea. Making the next series entirely about her, less so.

No idea what the sixth series is like, they've almost finished filming it, I think. Can't say I'm too arsed about it any more.

13 hours ago, Elite said:

8 episodes into Dark and it's better than Stranger things for me. There's no weak episode in the whole series and I've left intrigued and baffled at the end of each one. Really can't wait to see how it ends. The best show I've seen for ages.

I've just finished this, having binged it in a few days. It felt like Stranger Things, but made by the team behind The Killing - right up my street.

I really enjoyed it, very atmospheric, but it strayed a bit too much into needless family drama in a few episodes for my liking. I also wasn't aware it's an ongoing series, so I was expecting a conclusion in episode 10. Loads of ideas to explore in there though, hopefully season 2 doesn't start suffering from Lost-syndrome.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've just finished this, having binged it in a few days. It felt like Stranger Things, but made by the team behind The Killing - right up my street.

I really enjoyed it, very atmospheric, but it strayed a bit too much into needless family drama in a few episodes for my liking. I also wasn't aware it's an ongoing series, so I was expecting a conclusion in episode 10. Loads of ideas to explore in there though, hopefully season 2 doesn't start suffering from Lost-syndrome.

You've nailed it with 'atmospheric'. Some great characters as well, Ulrich is quality and if he can speak good English there should be plenty of opportunity for him in England and the US.

34 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The fifth series was 10 hours of Ray dreaming about Abby. I understand there had to be some of it, it was his wife after all, but it was half of every fucking episode. Tedious beyond belief. I actually thought she was a thoroughly boring, and unconvincing, character anyway. Killing her off was a good idea. Making the next series entirely about her, less so.

No idea what the sixth series is like, they've almost finished filming it, I think. Can't say I'm too arsed about it any more.

The season they’re running on showtime now (the one after Ray dreams about abbey all the time) is a bit better and more like the early seasons. The story line with Micky is shite though and they’re spoiling the best character in it. 

56 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The fifth series was fucking painful viewing ...

I've started watching the sixth season but it's just same as same with Micky acting the cunt Bunchy being a gobshite and Eddie Marsan being Eddie Marsan so I think I may bin it myself, plus I'm starting to get sick of Ray's miserable hangdog expression every episode and constantly saying "whhhaaaattttt" to anyone who asks him something.

4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The fifth series was fucking painful viewing ...

I've started watching the sixth season but it's just same as same with Micky acting the cunt Bunchy being a gobshite and Eddie Marsan being Eddie Marsan so I think I may bin it myself, plus I'm starting to get sick of Ray's miserable hangdog expression every episode and constantly saying "whhhaaaattttt" to anyone who asks him something.

Sure.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

You've nailed it with 'atmospheric'. Some great characters as well, Ulrich is quality and if he can speak good English there should be plenty of opportunity for him in England and the US.

I was thinking exactly the same, he's got a bit of the Rutger Hauer about him. He could easily lead a series / film on his own.