You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bye Skrtel

Clem H Fandango

Skrtel's errors are far too common now to just be coincidence. Sadly he just isn't good enough if we want to properly progress. Having a superior player alongside him may mask the inadequacies or atleast limit the mistakes - but as of now - we simply dont have that player. Agger makes him look clumsy, and Toure puts everyone on tenderhooks. Sakho may be the rock we need, at the price you would hope so anyway - but given how little we've seen of him, its almost impossible to pass judgement at present.

Football is a ruthless business, if you want to reach the top - sacrifices have to be made, and realising you have players on board who may hinder your progression means they have to be moved on. Skrtel is a good player, and his attitude is bang on, but at what point do you draw a line under the issue? After another 5 needless penalties? Another 3 comical own goals?

If an offer comes in for him in the summer, he needs to be moved on. Its as cold hearted as that I'm afraid.  

No, he doesn't need to be moved on. A massive upheaval every year isn't the answer. We're trying to get some stability. Skrtel has proved he can play In a defence that keeps millions of clean sheets.

Notice how we're rarely open at the back against the big teams. It's against the likes of Villa, Hull, Swansea that we struggle because we can out score everyone so it's a case of 'who cares if we concede a few goals'. Skrtel has been outstanding in the big games this season. A partnership with him and Sakho will be excellent.

We need to build stability, not tear it up and start again every year.

• Upvote 1

It's all a matter of confidence and stability. Look at the Fulham game. He gets dragged wide due to space where a fullback should be covering, a nothing ball goes into the box and he might assume Toure would deal with it. Instead, Toure slices into his own net. That plants the seed of doubt.

The next time the ball's going into the box Skrtel decides to go Rambo, leave nothing to chance and deal with it himself, and clatters Flanagan in the process.

It's a domino effect of having a lack of confidence in team mates, and neither Skrtel or Mig are at the core of that. No one in the centre is getting much protection from wide positions or the opposition's midfield, and if you were picking intelligent defenders to fluidly move around Gerrard sitting deeper, Skrtel and Toure wouldn't be first choices.

A DM that Skrtel can take his position from, and a partner he can fully trust makes him look a good CB.

• Upvote 1

I dont see Skrtel or Agger changing who they are at this stage of their careers. If we got a decent offee in id let both go.

Both can either be outstanding or terrible depending in equal measure.

Both have been part of defences for us that concede far fewer goals. Which would suggest that tactics are predominantly to blame.

No, he doesn't need to be moved on. A massive upheaval every year isn't the answer. We're trying to get some stability. Skrtel has proved he can play In a defence that keeps millions of clean sheets.

Notice how we're rarely open at the back against the big teams. It's against the likes of Villa, Hull, Swansea that we struggle because we can out score everyone so it's a case of 'who cares if we concede a few goals'. Skrtel has been outstanding in the big games this season. A partnership with him and Sakho will be excellent.

We need to build stability, not tear it up and start again every year.

A back four of Flanagan/Skrtel/Sakho/Enrique, with a more dominant Mignolet (which should come with experience), and a slight tweak to the team tactically so that we remain a potent attacking force but also defend as a team a little better, would be good enough to win the league.

As you said, just ditching all the defenders and starting again every couple of years is a fucking ludicrous idea.

The argument with defenders is the same as with goalkeepers, I can't remember the last time I saw a great one, they just look like varying degrees of average to shit. Is that because the gene pool hasn't thrown any up for the last 15 years? Or is the game now played at such a pace, and has their role been redefined to such an extetent that it's unfair to judge them compared to a generation ago?

How many central defenders in the league now look like top players? Everyone wants to play like Barcelona and are keeping the ball on the deck (with the exception of the mancs)

In the 90s someone like Adams rightly drew plaudits for being a 'commanding' centre back, this effectively meant he shouted a lot, kept a good line and swewpt up at least seven out of 10 aerial balls into the box.

What would being a good centre back constitute these days? Making Carra in Istanbul style 'last ditch' tackles every five minutes and bringing the ball out like Lilian Thuram. If they don't, then it's time to dump them and buy that player who can do those things brilliantly, that fella, what's his name.

• Upvote 1

I wanna see Sakho and Ilori given a go when the former is back fit and the latter comes back from his loan.  Sakho really is a wonderful centre half, probably top 3 in the country and Ilori looks the real deal. 

It's hard for me to say that though, because Skrtel and Agger are two of my favourite players.

He's been one of our best players this season and I shudder to think what would have happened to us without him.  Mystified by this thread and the criticism of him.  

Seriously? I suppose if you take into account his own goals, numerous fuck ups and almost weekly shirt pulling of opponenets in the box (luckily only ONE penalty given) he's been great!

I think he's a liability and has been for a while. He needs to go asap.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1