You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Jackson

Bjornebye

Well, I think it IS hard to know. A lot of songwriting credits will be transferred and subject to NDA's... and the outside world never finds out. The fact that the majority of his work was written by others should be a clue.

Documentaries are hardly likely to reveal the true source of lyrics

That's not so say he never wrote anything himself, I'm sure he did, I just don't subscribe to the belief that everything he said he wrote, he actually did.

So Rod Temperton and Quincy Jones saying that he was an integral part of the writing process means that he wasn't? OK.

he may have written some or all of his most famous songs, but his oeuvre of great songs is a little thin for him to be regarded as a genius.  Talented, undoubtedly, but I don't believe he lived up to his potential.  His was already a career of diminishing returns well before all the scandals began to cloak him.

• Upvote 1

he may have written some or all of his most famous songs, but his oeuvre of great songs is a little thin for him to be regarded as a genius. Talented, undoubtedly, but I don't believe he lived up to his potential. His was already a career of diminishing returns well before all the scandals began to cloak him.

I don't get why so much emphasis is being placed on him writing his own songs? He produced great music from the Jackson 5 to the end of the 80's, whether he wrote them or not, which means he more than lived up to his potential, for me.

Not many acts have the longevity he had. 20 years worth of making good music before he dipped in the 90's.

Sinatra wasn't a genius, but he was a fantastic interpreter of other people's songs.  He was like Jacko in that in order to produce his very best work he needed the right collaborator.  Nelson Riddle and Count Basie could elevate an ok tune to something altogether better. 

Well that article said he took full writing credits for 9 out of the 11 songs in bad including man in the mirror. Well he didn't write that because siedah Garrett wrote that with her songwriting partner. She was the female singer who duetted with Jackson on I just can't stop loving you. She also toured with him as a backing singer on the bad tour. And he certainly didn't write human nature because that was written by Steve porcaro, who was the keyboard player in toto. Jackson was always singing other peoples songs. It was one of Quincy jones roles was to source songs from the many musicians that he worked with in the studio.

Best of Motown was indubitably Marvin & Stevie, both of them had great hits provided by the writing teams at Motown but, they really came into their element after fighting with Gordy and producing the genre defining albums of the 70's. Songs in the key of life, what's going on, innervisions, and let's get it on - this is the kind of music Elvis and Jackson could never reach, they contain far more depth and personality if each artist and the times themselves. Still Elvis & Jackson were great mainstream artists, but I think Gaye and wonder have far greater albums than either.

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...
On 03/01/2014 at 02:14, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Best of Motown was indubitably Marvin & Stevie, both of them had great hits provided by the writing teams at Motown but, they really came into their element after fighting with Gordy and producing the genre defining albums of the 70's. Songs in the key of life, what's going on, innervisions, and let's get it on - this is the kind of music Elvis and Jackson could never reach, they contain far more depth and personality if each artist and the times themselves. Still Elvis & Jackson were great mainstream artists, but I think Gaye and wonder have far greater albums than either.

Haha I read that in the voice of Patrick Bateman when he’s talking about Phil Collins before he sussudios the fuck out of them two brasses 

• Upvote 1

Michael Jackson and Elvis in the same breath? Not a chance Jackson was anywhere near Elvis. 'Nor was he anywhere near those kids either,m'lud.'

Best of Stax over the best of Motown every day of the week for me