You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Director of football. The time is nigh?

Gnasher

Did we miss out on not insisting Rodgers work under a director of football? Should it be insisted on now? We haven't played Chelsea or Man city yet, we''re still to go to old trafford or Southampton, one could conclude our current league position false, our hopes of edging out man city,chelsea,arsenal, mancs to a top four spot slim.

Our transfer policy is baffling, three center half's bought, three goals conceded in the last two games. Midfield that fails to protect the back four or score goals up the other end left untouched.

Hiddink, Capello or Van de Gaal could be the best signing we make in January. All proven winners.

• Downvote 1

Guest San Don

WTF difference will a DoF make when our squad isnt good enough? We missed Sturridge today. I still cant get my head around people writing off Gerrard. Suarez was isolated again when we play one striker.

• Upvote 1

WTF difference will a DoF make when our squad isnt good enough? We missed Sturridge today. I still cant get my head around people writing off Gerrard. Suarez was isolated again when we play one striker.

Maybe a hiddink type man would see through the nonsense of buying three centre half's in the last transfer window. The acadamy is in disarray, Flanagan playing his first start away against league leaders arsenal in a three at the back system he dos'nt play in the under 21s sums it up.

A winner who knows how to win titles.

• Downvote 1

Appointing a DoF in January would make Brendan Rodger's position untenable as he has made it clear he doesn't want to work with one.

Should it be up to rodgers? He'd still coach the first team. The transfer policy and acadamy are scatterbrained. Our style of play seems to change from game to game.

If we continue to perform like we did today the inevitable slide down the table will turn the club into meltdown.

I wish we would just focus on improving the first 11 and that is it. No squad players or youth. Coutinho and Sturridge are Rodgers saving grace other than that he's probably spent about 50 million on players that don't even make his first 11.

We need to be smarter and that doesn't mean trying to find a bargain it means getting a top player or two each window.

Its more than just odd mistakes that Rodgers is referring too there is something fundamentally wrong with our side it struggles a lot.. A lot more than it should and its relying on individual talent more than any kind of tactical nouse or style of play. I fear once again we will look at the squad and lack of depth and address that rather than focusing in the first team and the squad improving itself as a byproduct of putting current automatic starters on to the bench.

Today was really shite.

• Upvote 2

its relying on individual talent more than any kind of tactical nouse or style of play.

Yeah, even last week the goals came from set pieces - one of which, Suarez's, could easily be a candidate for best free kick of the year. What discernible changes did he make at halftime today? I can't recall one second half the whole year where we dominated play.

I think he's in over his head. 50+ million on players who are either on loan or on the bench doesn't help. Kenny was sacked for less.

Guest San Don

Maybe a hiddink type man would see through the nonsense of buying three centre half's in the last transfer window. The acadamy is in disarray, Flanagan playing his first start away against league leaders arsenal in a three at the back system he dos'nt play in the under 21s sums it up.

A winner who knows how to win titles.

Seems to me you're talking about a new manager rather than a DoF there.

Let's be honest we've been shite all season even games when we have won comfortably like West Brow we panicked like fuck when they got it back to 3 1.

As was said there is something fundamentally wrong when teams like Hull are outplaying us, and no matter what crap Roger's says about possession and commitment today, we can see with our own eyes that today was as bad as anything under Hodgson....at least with Woy you expected shite so you weren't disappointed.

Let's be honest we've been shite all season even games when we have won comfortably like West Brow we panicked like fuck when they got it back to 3 1.

As was said there is something fundamentally wrong when teams like Hull are outplaying us, and no matter what crap Roger's says about possession and commitment today, we can see with our own eyes that today was as bad as anything under Hodgson....at least with Woy you expected shite so you weren't disappointed.

With Woy I expected shite but still he managed to disppoint me.

You can't hire a DoF with a manager in situ without undermining the manager, in which case you may as well just fire him and start over, which may be the case if we miss out on Europe again.

I'm sure Rodgers was viewed more as a decent coach, but whoever made the decision to hire the manager first practically ensured there was no way to bring in a DoF.

Seems to me you're talking about a new manager rather than a DoF there.

I'm thinking more of van gal recreating the acadamy on the Ajax model. Van Gal should be free after the World Cup.

Who's the last great player to come from our youth set up? Gerrard, Owen, Fowler,Mcmannam? Years ago. It's not good enough.

Wasn't Cruyff linked with DoF role for us at one point? He'd be ideal at the moment to link up the academy and first team and bring stability to the club with Rodgers learning from him, and being the long term option.

Something needs to be done, I'm a big Rodgers fan but something somewhere needs to change, this isn't a knee jerk reaction to today but all season we haven't really been nowhere near what we we were like 2nd half of the season. What's happened to the free flowing attacking football? I just don't understand what's going on.

Director of football is a total bollocks post, if your manager can't be trusted to buy the right players then he's a shit manager - simple as that. Do you know who a director of football was? Alex Ferguson. Couldn't be arsed with coaching, left that to other people like Kidd and McClaren, but had total control over transfer policy. I don't want a coach and a 'transfer guy' fucking grand poobah, I want a manager who buys good players. Football, a simple game complicated by idiots - Shanks.

• Upvote 3