You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NBA 2014 Thread

Lee909

• 4 weeks later...

This season really has been a let down in many respects, but watching that draft class (with the top five guys changing regularly - bar #1, obv) you can see why. Pretty much every lottery pick has the potential to be a winner. Randle and Embid are two big men to keep an eye out for. Smart is a killer point guard (best handles since Kyrie came through? got a bit of a SG physique too - Lowryesque) and then there's Exum... a total wildcard in many respects but an electric end-to-end athlete with some nice post-play for a guard. Jabari Parker could be a beast and then there's Wiggins... incredible potential. Can't help but feel Muhammed's struggles might put a few GM's in two minds though. Wiggins will go first though, I'm sure Boston would love him and Rondo running the floor.

Anyway, watching Lakers and Heat now, I love Xavier Henry, real talent. If we can extend him and Hill I'd be delighted. Meeks too to be fair, he's been much better off the drive this year. Can't see him extending though, don't think we can spare too much cash in the back court right now (other than a PG if Nash retires).

Basically I'm really hoping for a Blazers/Pacers Finals at the end of the year. Golden state shooting lights out would be exciting too. But think the Heat will start to bring out Oden and Beasley more in the run-in and will really take off in the playoffs and the Thunder might go all they way this year.

Looks like the injuries have taken their toll and we're finally going to full on tank mode, a Bynum/Gasol trade where we then immediately waive Bynum for the tax saving will surely confirm it.

We just got smashed by the Bucks at home and the Bucks are shite. The Greek kid is going to be a star though, loads of talent. Him and Sanders is a good base to develop from.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life
_74478010_022052169.jpgDonald Sterling bought the Los Angeles Clippers in 1981

The owner of the Los Angeles Clippers professional basketball team has been banned from the National Basketball Association for life after a recording emerged of him making racist remarks.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Donald Sterling would be forced to sell his interest in the team.

And the league will fine him $2.5m (£1.5m), the maximum allowed.

Mr Sterling was recorded asking a woman not to associate in public with black people nor bring them to games.

He later said the recording "does not reflect his views".

In a news conference on Tuesday, Mr Silver told reporters that Mr Sterling's "hateful opinions... simply have no place in the NBA".

"That they came from an NBA owner only heightens the damage," he said. "I am personally distraught that the views expressed by Mr Sterling came from within an institution that has historically taken a leadership role in matters of race relations."

Mr Silver said Mr Sterling would be banned from participating in all team business, as well as attending any NBA practices or games.

The fine will be donated to organisations focused on combating racism, he said.

And Mr Silver said he would urge the NBA's board of governors to force Mr Sterling to sell his stake in the team, which he purchased in 1981.

"Commissioner Silver showed great leadership in banning" Sterling, basketball great Earvin Magic Johnson tweeted following the announcement.

Immediate uproar

The row erupted on Friday when celebrity news website TMZ published a10-minute audio recording in which a man can be heard criticising a woman, believed to be Mr Sterling's girlfriend V Stiviano, for posting online photographs of herself with black friends at Clippers games.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you are associating with black people. Do you have to?" the man says.

"The little I ask is not to promote it on that... and not to bring them to my games."

On Tuesday, Mr Silver said Mr Sterling had acknowledged it was his voice on the recording. It was not clear how or when the conversation was recorded.

The remarks caused an immediate uproar in Los Angeles and among basketball fans across the country.

The Clippers are competing in the first round of the NBA playoffs, drawing extra scrutiny to Mr Sterling's remarks.

On Sunday before a game against the Golden State Warriors, the players staged a silent protest, going through a pre-match warm-up with shirts on inside-out to hide the team's logo.

The players also wore black wristbands or armbands and all wore black socks with their normal jerseys.

Mr Sterling did not attend the game.

More on This Story

This has been a great playoffs so far. Check out the blazers rockets series! ...and the hawks standing up to the pacers, watching game 7 later.

Shame it's only going to get duller as the heat look much fresher than the few realistic contenders.

blazers heat would be a fun finals, with lillard being a total mismatch at heat's weakest position and lebron probably playing PF to match aldridge. Fully expect thunder/heat though.

This has been a great playoffs so far. Check out the blazers rockets series! ...and the hawks standing up to the pacers, watching game 7 later.

Shame it's only going to get duller as the heat look much fresher than the few realistic contenders.

blazers heat would be a fun finals, with lillard being a total mismatch at heat's weakest position and lebron probably playing PF to match aldridge. Fully expect thunder/heat though.

Spurs are going all the way baby.

Theyll give me a nervous breakdown on the way.

On it again tonight. Crashed badly during the pacers game yesterday but things went the way I wanted (that said, beal and wall are a lot of fun and I still love ariza). Totally expect the opposite tonight.

edit: fucking hell, just caught myself rooting for paul pierce... the crying, wheelchair riding douche. The John terry of basketball.

Lebron warming up early. Going to pour them in tonight.

• Downvote 1

Nah, fuck that. These playoffs have been GREAT so far.

Lakers not being there has made it a bit like Euro 2008 for me, just enjoying all that quality fighting it out.

Besides, Lakers are going to pick at #1 in the one of the best drafts in the last decade, so it will be all right in the end. Wiggins (probably the strongest scoring talent since Durant) to LA. Even if that doesn't come off, it'll be Parker, Exum, Embid, Smart or Randle. All of which have all-star potential (bar Smart maybe, but he has the beneift of a real winning mentality. He's an intense character who could dovetail with Kobe perfectly)

My worry is that the Lakers front office overspend on players this summer to keep Kobe(his contract is ridiculous decision) happy. The money needs kept for next years FA which are a much better grade