You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

I hear a lot of this "gonna watch Braveheart before i vote" going round on twitter and facebook, the film is complete bullshit, the fit french bird in the film, Isabelle of France never met William Wallace and the affair they had obviously never happened either because she was 2 years old at the time of the rebellion. Robert the Bruce was never at Falkirk and he never betrayed Wallace. The battle of Sterling Bridge in the film was on a flat field without a bridge in sight.

Prince Edward never had a gay lover, nor did Longshank's launch him out of a window. No-one raped Wallace's wife because Primae Noctis was an urban myth, they never wore kilt's to battle they wore knights armour, and the face paint that's not historically correct either, that goes back to the Scottish Pict's. Wallace was Scottish aristocracy not a poor farmer as he was depicted in the film.

Sharon Krossa the historian sums it up best by saying "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate—in short, just about nothing is accurate."

I hear a lot of this "gonna watch Braveheart before i vote" going round on twitter and facebook, the film is complete bullshit, the fit french bird in the film, Isabelle of France never met William Wallace and the affair they had obviously never happened either because she was 2 years old at the time of the rebellion. Robert the Bruce was never at Falkirk and he never betrayed Wallace. The battle of Sterling Bridge in the film was on a flat field without a bridge in sight.

Prince Edward never had a gay lover, nor did Longshank's launch him out of a window. No-one raped Wallace's wife because Primae Noctis was an urban myth, they never wore kilt's to battle they wore knights armour, and the face paint that's not historically correct either, that goes back to the Scottish Pict's. Wallace was Scottish aristocracy not a poor farmer as he was depicted in the film.

Sharon Krossa the historian sums it up best by saying "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate—in short, just about nothing is accurate."

No wonder Salmond likes it so much.

• Upvote 1

Bet Gibson called her Sugar Tits for that.

...Isabelle of France never met William Wallace and the affair they had obviously never happened either because she was 2 years old at the time of the rebellion. 

Didn't you hear the opening narration by his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandson. History is written by the victors. And not at all by family looking to turn a quick buck.

Maybe they're right. Maybe Wallace was the Jimmy Saville of his day.

If you ever get up to Stirling do check out the national Wallace monument with its authentic Mel Gibson William Wallace statue.

1808-mel-gibson.jpg

Didn't you hear the opening narration by his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandson. History is written by the victors. And not at all by family looking to turn a quick buck.

Maybe they're right. Maybe Wallace was the Jimmy Saville of his day.

If you ever get up to Stirling do check out the national Wallace monument with its authentic Mel Gibson William Wallace statue.

1808-mel-gibson.jpg

Looks like Al-Fayed's handy work.

• Upvote 1

Oh sure you go and pitch an accurate version to Hollywood producers and see how much interest there is. Trainspotting, now there's a Scotland that needs no embellishing.

The primary message that I took from Braveheart was, if your enemy looks like he might win, pay his mates to betray him and then slowly torture him to death. I have no idea why the Scottish are so proud to be depicted as a bunch of easily-bought, back-stabbing bastards

What I took from it was that Longshanks was a total badass:

"The problem with Scotland, is that it's full of Scots"