You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I need to get me a career.

Hey, Zig. I've been in touch with the local volunteer service round here, they're gonna get back to me with a view to doing some work with the homeless. The thing is, I've been offered a job interview on Thursday somewhere else. The pay is better than the minimum I was on previously and there's shift allowances too. All this talk of careers and I think I'm ready to take the first job offered to me. I'm a twat. Will I be able to volunteer at weekends? It's definitely a road I want to go down, key worker, etc. I benefited a lot myself in the past from people doing that kind of thing.

I'm still going to get myself a night course doing something else too, I just can't be sitting around the house all day.

There's nothing wrong with taking a job and doing some volunteering in your spare time while you build up experience, as long as you've got the energy to do both for a bit. In my case I wasn't ready for full time work when I started doing the voluntary work, but it became clear that's what I wanted to do once I started. You don't even really know if it will do it for you yet, so I would say take the job but see it as just a way of keeping some money rolling in while you figure out what you want.

Whether you can volunteer in the evening or at weekends depends on what services there are in your area mate. A fair number of drop-ins in London are open on the weekend, especially those with some affiliation to a local church. If you can do shift work though, you might also be able to volunteer in the daytime sometimes? See what they come back with.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The money is shite though. I have the badges, ran courses for kids and worked with LFC for 12 months running projects and coaching on their behalf on evenings and school holidays. When I was at a crossroad in my career I took a look on the FA website and they were offering Level 2 coaching jobs for £16k. I have a young family so that kind of money isn't going to cover what she spends on shite.

Really?

So what are you doing with yourself now have you jacked the coaching lark in?

16k is quite low if you have a family. I can only imagine it's really enjoyable work though which would make up for some of that?

There's nothing wrong with taking a job and doing some volunteering in your spare time while you build up experience, as long as you've got the energy to do both for a bit. In my case I wasn't ready for full time work when I started doing the voluntary work, but it became clear that's what I wanted to do once I started. You don't even really know if it will do it for you yet, so I would say take the job but see it as just a way of keeping some money rolling in while you figure out what you want.

Whether you can volunteer in the evening or at weekends depends on what services there are in your area mate. A fair number of drop-ins in London are open on the weekend, especially those with some affiliation to a local church. If you can do shift work though, you might also be able to volunteer in the daytime sometimes? See what they come back with.

Good plan, zig.

You're not far from Cambridge, are you, J?

Have you read 'A Life Backwards'? the story of how a man from that area whose life had unravelled and had ultimately become homeless.

I'm pretty sure there'll be a good number of organisations, statutory (local authority) and charity/volunteer organisations operating in the area who may be able to provide volunteering experience. I'm guessing you may need to get Disclosure (or English equivalent) checks done

Really?

So what are you doing with yourself now have you jacked the coaching lark in?

16k is quite low if you have a family. I can only imagine it's really enjoyable work though which would make up for some of that?

Football coaching is not a career for almost anybody except ex footballers.

Academies employ very few full time coaches and community coaches dont earn all the time.

This is useless for people with families who need a living wage.

Football coaching is not a career for almost anybody except ex footballers.

Academies employ very few full time coaches and community coaches dont earn all the time.

This is useless for people with families who need a living wage.

Same with most sports coaching/training, I should imagine. It seems to work on the basis the people's love of their chosen activity will compensate for the lack of income. These arent career choices; they are jobs for those who have no dependents and few outgoings

You're not far from Cambridge, are you, J?

Have you read 'A Life Backwards'? the story of how a man from that area whose life had unravelled and had ultimately become homeless.

Just outside Cambridge, it was the Cambridge and district volunteer office I spoke with. Haven't read the book, no. Is it any good?

Just outside Cambridge' date=' it was the Cambridge and district volunteer office I spoke with. Haven't read the book, no. Is it any good?[/quote']

It was recommended to me when I was doing my mental health training. It was written by someone who came to know the guy. Well written and an interesting read. I probably still have it somewhere

I've got three CRB certs currently for different organisations! Pain in the arse.

Do they do ongoing checks on you or were they just at the time of application checks? Just curious how English system works. Ours now has different level checks

Do they do ongoing checks on you or were they just at the time of application checks? Just curious how English system works. Ours now has different level checks

They just do it at the time of the application, but you have to renew it every year. What pisses me off is that you have to have one for each organisation you work for, but they are apparently changing that in the future.

They just do it at the time of the application' date=' but you have to renew it every year. What pisses me off is that you have to have one for each organisation you work for, but they are apparently changing that in the future.[/quote']

Ah ok. We now have 3 levels, basic and enhanced Disclosures and for employees PVG disclosures (protecting vulnerable groups) children and adults and these do ongoing checks on us

They just do it at the time of the application' date=' but you have to renew it every year. What pisses me off is that you have to have one for each organisation you work for, but they are apparently changing that in the future.[/quote']

That'll be changing within the next couple of months. You will pay initially for your disclosure on the new update system and any subsequent employers will be able to access your check for a nominal fee to make sure everything is ok.

Re Champ, basic disclosures are only issued by Disclosure Scotland. Through the CRB ( or DBS as it is now ) in England you can get standard or enhanced disclosures.

Re Champ' date=' basic disclosures are only issued by Disclosure Scotland. Through the CRB ( or DBS as it is now ) in England you can get standard or enhanced disclosures.[/quote']

DBS?

And will any concerns following registration get flagged up with the enhanced checks?

DBS?

And will any concerns following registration get flagged up with the enhanced checks?

Disclosure and Barring service, we merged with the independent safeguarding authority ( ISA ).

Yes, when an employer checks your new online check it will flag up and ask them to apply for a full check if you have done something between the initial check and the one they are making.

You won't get a career until you hate shit jobs enough. Few years back I was sat in a portacabin doing the wages for Eddie Stobart drivers with four horrific individuals who only talked about rado one and cakes. I spent my dinner hours hatching plans to do a PGCE and first do voluntary school teaching while I'd also set up a Vodafone call centre job of an evening, I was looking at 12 hour days purely so I could get back to uni. I didn't end up doing it in the end as something else came up, but the point is doing that mundane shit with - more importantly - those mundane people, was going to be the spiritual and intellectual death of me if I didn't do something about it. I was well older than you though, I was 27. You haven't hit bottom yet, you need to see that bottom coming up at you.

You won't get a career until you hate shit jobs enough. Few years back I was sat in a portacabin doing the wages for Eddie Stobart drivers with four horrific individuals who only talked about rado one and cakes. I spent my dinner hours hatching plans to do a PGCE and first do voluntary school teaching while I'd also set up a Vodafone call centre job of an evening, I was looking at 12 hour days purely so I could get back to uni. I didn't end up doing it in the end as something else came up, but the point is doing that mundane shit with - more importantly - those mundane people, was going to be the spiritual and intellectual death of me if I didn't do something about it. I was well older than you though, I was 27. You haven't hit bottom yet, you need to see that bottom coming up at you.

And you still reckon The Shield beats The Wire???

If I had my chance again I'd have actually given a fuck at school.

As for a career, it's too late for me now (age/time/money) but I'd train as a Farrier.

Mate of mine did that. He says it's murder on your back. Still loves it though.

It's harsh on your back and you can get booted to shit by horses.

But it's bloody good money, you work on your own, you get to see some great parts of the countryside, you mainly get paid in cash, and horsey women are filth.

They're complete fucking mentalists so not all A1, but filth all the same.