You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

should the poor be taxed more?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. should the poor be taxed more?

• yes they dont pay tax
    • no, it's more typical tory behaviour

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. It was built for low income earners but at the moment there are 3 earners living in it - is that fair? If you split the already low rent between the 3 sets of wage earners you are getting a fucking cheap deal. I'm not sying yourwith your over age kids should move out but they should be paying the council rent, not splitting your low rent.

There are not even 3 earners in my house,the two kids are paying the rent and council tax.

How can they move out if they cant a) afford to and b) there is nowhere to go.

I really dont get your point at all here.There simply isnt anywhere for them to go and as parents its our responsibility to provide what we can for them.

This is also about being morally responsible too. Why is this only effecting people at the bottom of the scale who have no alternatives?

A millionnaire can live alone in a 25 bedroom mansion and not have to worry about any tax for that privilege while a low income person cannot?

If low rent accomodation is such a jaunt how about everybody moves back into them and gives up the homes that they cant afford?

I bet they wouldnt,I know I wouldnt live where I do if I didnt have to.

A millionnaire can live alone in a 25 bedroom mansion and not have to worry about any tax for that privilege while a low income person cannot?

You mean the privilege of being taxed when earning the money needed to buy said house not to mention the stamp duty etc.

People won't leave theses houses so the problem will still exist you'll just end up having more people with less money, struggling that little but more. Government is a fucking disgrace, they'll be happy when every single penny earnt is given back to them we just exist to make life more comfortable for the wealthy. We need a clear out start with the house lords and all those hereditary wankers.

Dang commie.

Because he probably worked his arse off (I say his, obviously it will be a male) to become a millionaire, paid fuck loads of taxes to our government over the years and should be allowed to live a comfortable existence with the life that he built.

What is the point in even existing in this country if you can't do well for yourself? Our taxes pay for those who struggle, and the rest goes to, lets be honest, those who can't be arsed. Why should those who have done well have to pay more than those who survive? This isn't some utopia country we should be glad to be in, it is just a plot of land.

People should be taxed equally. And the people who pay taxes should have more of a say on how the country is run than those who don't.

But that's...just my opinion...

Also, there is no such thing as 'being poor' in this country.

When you are skeletal and your baby is sucking your dry teat and no milk is coming out, babies stomach bloated close to death, you are poor.

If you have £20 left to last you the week after the rent, leccy, gas and that, you are not poor. You are living on a budget. Try Aldi (the super six are ace this week). Failing that, get a fucking job.

Also, there is no such thing as 'being poor' in this country.

When you are skeletal and your baby is sucking your dry teat and no milk is coming out, babies stomach bloated close to death, you are poor.

If you have £20 left to last you the week after the rent, leccy, gas and that, you are not poor. You are living on a budget. Try Aldi (the super six are ace this week). Failing that, get a fucking job.

Wonder why everyone hasn't thought of that

Also' date=' there is no such thing as 'being poor' in this country.

If you have £20 left to last you the week after the rent, leccy, gas and that, you are not poor. You are living on a budget. Try Aldi (the super six are ace this week). Failing that, get a fucking job.[/quote']

A millionnaire actually paying tax? Thats a new one on me.

Also' date=' there is no such thing as 'being poor' in this country.

If you have £20 left to last you the week after the rent, leccy, gas and that, you are not poor. You are living on a budget. Try Aldi (the super six are ace this week). Failing that, get a fucking job.[/quote']

I've made that point previously, don't think it went down well but I'm with you.

There are very few people in genuine poverty that are not there through a decision of their own making. Whether that be an irresponsible approach to their money, or an addiction to gambling, alcohol or drugs, or an unwillingness to work.

Last week I wasted about £50 quid. I'll now have to be careful for the rest of the month. I earn a pretty decent wage but have very little disposable income, so it'll be touch and go this month purely because of a £50 splurge. With that said, I know that if I have to, I can take some funds from somewhere else to see me through, but I don't want to have to. If I didn't have that safety net, and touch and go for the month could mean eviction or whatever, I'd never have spent the cash.

There is a lack of responsibility throughout society. From top to bottom. People like jimmy Carr not paying tax because he can avoid it - but knowing he shouldn't - through to the bottom level spending money they don't have with reckless abandon.

My other half used to work in social housing and part of her job was arrears collection. The same people cropped up time after time and knew the system and how to play it.

One woman was 4 weeks behind with her rent and my misses saw her crossing the street so asked her about the rent she owed. Response was she couldn't pay cause shed just been on holiday. That's the irresponsibility I refer to. Another said similar about needing to buy christmas presents.

There's no consideration of going without. I've gone without loads of stuff I've wanted over the last 5 years, so I wouldn't have to go without things which were more important to me. We've paid off our mortgage heavily to get some equity back into the fucking thing, so we stand a chance of moving to a bigger house now we've had our first child. We paid for our wedding and honeymoon without any debt by going without loads and saving like mad.

In the same time, a family friend has had 3 unplanned kids, moving into a bigger council house for free each time, having to give up work to Keep the kids at home, have declared bankrupt to avoid paying back loans and credit cards and all sorts. I'm not judging them, as I can't as I've not been in that situation, but I know that not one of the reasons they are where they are was put onto them. The debt was for things they could have done without, the kids were accidents, and that's the same story all over the place.

I've forgot what point I was making now.

Rant over.

I've made that point previously, don't think it went down well but I'm with you.

There are very few people in genuine poverty that are not there through a decision of their own making. Whether that be an irresponsible approach to their money, or an addiction to gambling, alcohol or drugs, or an unwillingness to work.

Last week I wasted about £50 quid. I'll now have to be careful for the rest of the month. I earn a pretty decent wage but have very little disposable income, so it'll be touch and go this month purely because of a £50 splurge. With that said, I know that if I have to, I can take some funds from somewhere else to see me through, but I don't want to have to. If I didn't have that safety net, and touch and go for the month could mean eviction or whatever, I'd never have spent the cash.

There is a lack of responsibility throughout society. From top to bottom. People like jimmy Carr not paying tax because he can avoid it - but knowing he shouldn't - through to the bottom level spending money they don't have with reckless abandon.

My other half used to work in social housing and part of her job was arrears collection. The same people cropped up time after time and knew the system and how to play it.

One woman was 4 weeks behind with her rent and my misses saw her crossing the street so asked her about the rent she owed. Response was she couldn't pay cause shed just been on holiday. That's the irresponsibility I refer to. Another said similar about needing to buy christmas presents.

There's no consideration of going without. I've gone without loads of stuff I've wanted over the last 5 years, so I wouldn't have to go without things which were more important to me. We've paid off our mortgage heavily to get some equity back into the fucking thing, so we stand a chance of moving to a bigger house now we've had our first child. We paid for our wedding and honeymoon without any debt by going without loads and saving like mad.

In the same time, a family friend has had 3 unplanned kids, moving into a bigger council house for free each time, having to give up work to Keep the kids at home, have declared bankrupt to avoid paying back loans and credit cards and all sorts. I'm not judging them, as I can't as I've not been in that situation, but I know that not one of the reasons they are where they are was put onto them. The debt was for things they could have done without, the kids were accidents, and that's the same story all over the place.

I've forgot what point I was making now.

Rant over.

Whatever you do don't overspend by £51 next month or you might want the lower classes shot dead you fucking minge bag.

Whatever you do don't overspend by £51 next month or you might want the lower classes shot dead you fucking minge bag.

How the fuck will that help. I can just see the fuckers now, wanting compo and the state to pay for coffins and headstones and a full church burial for some cunt whose only link to the church is that they've broken the 10 commandments.

Dang commie.

Because he probably worked his arse off (I say his, obviously it will be a male) to become a millionaire, paid fuck loads of taxes to our government over the years and should be allowed to live a comfortable existence with the life that he built.

What is the point in even existing in this country if you can't do well for yourself? Our taxes pay for those who struggle, and the rest goes to, lets be honest, those who can't be arsed. Why should those who have done well have to pay more than those who survive? This isn't some utopia country we should be glad to be in, it is just a plot of land.

People should be taxed equally. And the people who pay taxes should have more of a say on how the country is run than those who don't.

But that's...just my opinion...

Fuck you David.

That's a fucking terrible post.

What about opportunity structures, inherited wealth, social eugenics?

Just because you've started your own business doesn;t mean you shit on where you;ve come from lad.

I expect better from you.

So somebody who works two or three jobs on minimum wage and grafts their fingers to the bone just to literally keep their heads above water should be taxed at the same level as someone who gets chauffered fro their home to their place of work, who owns three fucking houses and charges everything to expenses, who gets everything and wants for nothing on the basis of who they are, not waht they are, shouldbe taxed the same?

That is fucking Horseshit and you fucking know it is. Now stop talking fucking shit or I'll be up there to your gaff in Orell Park to land you one.

You are a good lad, way better than this fucking wank.

Fuck you David.

That's a fucking terrible post.

What about opportunity structures, inherited wealth, social eugenics?

Just because you've started your own business doesn;t mean you shit on where you;ve come from lad.

I expect better from you.

So somebody who works two or three jobs on minimum wage and grafts their fingers to the bone just to literally keep their heads above water should be taxed at the same level as someone who gets chauffered fro their home to their place of work, who owns three fucking houses and charges everything to expenses, who gets everything and wants for nothing on the basis of who they are, not waht they are, shouldbe taxed the same?

That is fucking Horseshit and you fucking know it is. Now stop talking fucking shit or I'll be up there to your gaff in Orell Park to land you one.

You are a good lad, way better than this fucking wank.

Just realised, the twat Forbes is on a wind up! You fucking cunt!

I'm back at a keyboard now so can answer some questions (although that'll probably get me in trouble)

Vlad - apologies, I thought you had 4 people working that house so the household income would be pretty high even if the indivduals didn't make loads. I'm pretty sure that the situation does arises thousands of times which I'll summarise as;

- Young family are awarded a house on the basis of need

- Over time their circumstances change and they become wealthier

- They chose not to move out of subsidised council property and are never means tested

- That house remains out of reach for people with genuine need

Melons - the caravan comment wasn't aimed at you, but it does wind me up when I see a council property with an expensive car and caravan outside. The tenants (again benifitting from cheap rent and occupying a house that could be used by those in need) obviously don't need the help if they've got £60k of assets sitting on the drive.

The comments about bankers - I get annoyed when people excuse their own grabbing behaviour by referring to the bankers. People are naturally greedy cunts and if you are the type of person who doesn't pay tax on your earnings as a plumber I bet if you were earning £3m a year as a banker then you'd do everything possible to earn £5 or £6m by taking risks. Probably more likely as you are taking the risk of going to prison as a plumber but just fucking with other people's money as a banker.

My main gripe? I'm in the squeezed middle and I'm paying for the rich ones above me who avoid tax and the cheeky cunts below me who play the system and have no intention of ever getting off their arses. I'm 40 years old and have never claimed a penny in my life, I've worked my way up from answering the phones in a callcentre to a decent job. My tax is taken at source and I pay 40%, I have a car and get fucking hammered on everything to do with it. We've just had a baby and I won't get any family allowance, it's unlikely we'll be able to afford another baby yet I've been asked by friends who've never worked why we aren't planning on a football team like them. My TV is 5 years old and it's unlikely I'll go abroad for a few years til we get back on our feet. I've moved house recently, I've paid over £15k in stamp duty for the privilige so when I see cunts in subsidised housing with fucking Merc and caravan it drives me mental.

The rich moan about the poor scrounging and the poor moan about the rich avoiding tax. BUt you can bet your life if they switched they'd do exactly the same thing. I'd go after both lots, they aren't mutually exclusive.

there, rant over. I might even move it to the Have a Rant Thread.