You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

mancs away 13/1/2012

Bjornebye

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carragher against RVP is not a good thing. We carry on playing our game.

We don't change our game play for them where ever we play. The opposition should be chanhing their yactics for us.

A solid back 4, an up for it midfield and a fucking suarez on a leash, biting at the bit for the whistle is all we need.

Sure, let's go all gung ho into the toughest away ground in the league. As for now we don't have a solid back four. And midfield still has a bit to go before it's working as it should.

Concerning Carra, I thin he always raises his game for these kind of matches and that's why I included him.

I'm usually a bit of an optimist, but I have a bad feeling about this game. Their strengths are our weaknesses, in that they break quickly and focus much of their play out wide. We have seen our fullbacks outnumbered at times this season (at the Pit particularly) and we've been caught out on the break too many times to mention. I expect Slur will have noticed this, now that his concerns about Van Persie's near-death experience have been out to bed.

I suppose the flip side of this is that our numbers at the other end play on the fact that their defence is pretty dire, and that they're not great in the middle. But I'd be surprised if we see the benefit of that on Sunday.

Anyone else strangely looking forward to Slur's presser? He seems to come out with something mental pre or post match every week these days. I'm sure he'll have some sort of "beyond the pale" comment to make about the handball that never was.

He's already brought up Suarez.

Luis, if you're reading this.

NO diving

NO feigning injury

NO handballs

DO NOT engage in any conversation with their players. I don't care if they speak your language and they're calling you a filthy peasant

DO NOT raise to any bait or intimidating tactics

DO NOT argue with the ref

DO NOT get involved insurrounding the ref as you'll be the first to get booked

REMEMBER they only do all these things to you because they are scared shitless of you.

PROOVE these fears are justified and show your class on the pitch.

Reina

Johnson

Agger

Skrtel

Wisdom

Lucas

Gerrard

Henderson

Sterling

Suarez

Sturridge

Play it aggressively as we always do against them. I want us to dominate, or at least try, rather than playing defensively. First of all our strengths at the moment is offensively, and 2nd of all, i can't remember a game recently where we have been good enough to just sit back and rely on our defence.

The question that needs to be asked is why are we vulnerable defensively?

Our back four are all good defenders on paper. Most people rate Lucas as a very good holding player.

So why are we not as solid defensively as we should be? 'The system' or players?

Our back four are all good defenders on paper. Most people rate Lucas as a very good holding player.

So why are we not as solid defensively as we should be? 'The system' or players?

I think Skrtel has been poor more often then not this season. His positioning has been awful and he has been error prone. I think his head was turned in the summer and he’s fallen back to old ways. I’d be very tempted to play Carra with Agger in this game.

That’s a bit unfair though isn’t it? So he could score 3 goals in his next 3 games and you can still say “18 months he's been here now. 51 games in the Premier League. 4 goals. 4. Four.” ?

What’s relevant is how he is playing right now, and he is playing well and deserves his start. I think he’s got his confidence back, is attacking, getting at players, and creating and having chances. I think him and Enrique complement each other extremely well on dropping back when the other gets forward, and so that is a bit of a concern with Enrique out, but I think Downing could feel hard done by were he to be dropped without very good tactical cause.

Well, no i don't think its unfair at all. When we pay that amount for a player - i expect an end result, and regularly. We don't get that with Downing, so i don't see the point in him being in the team. As others have pointed out he was so shite last season - the fact he's less bad this year is clouding some people's judgement. Jose Enrique has played in the attacking mid slot a handful of times and he has as many goals, and more assists than Downing in his entire LFC career to date. Last season it just seemed there was always an excuse. Give him chance to settle down... Let him get used to how we play... Its Andy Carroll's fault for not putting them away... etc, etc. The time for not contributing ran out a long time ago for me, and until it returns - i don't see why we should put up with his half arsed performances. Against Mansfield the other day there was a time when he tried to beat one of their defenders - he tried to knock it past him and then out pace him by the time he caught up with the ball. It was embarrassing how far back he was by the end of the duel. He literally gave up half way through the run, and couldn't be bothered to even try. To come off so 2nd best against a Conference player says it all. This is an International level winger we are talking about.

I honestly do not understand what people see when they look at a Downing performance. He did nothing but he wasn't his usual shite self so lets give him another chance? Is this the way it works? We have a 18 year old on the other wing who has double the amount of goals and assists in his very first season. Chelsea - who are apparently struggling, have 2 wingers with 8 assists a piece and 11 goals between them. They weren't much more expensive than Downing - why are they contributing so much more?

It may seem im being overly critical of him, and that's probably true - because i am sick of seeing average or nothing all the time.

I hope he starts on Sunday, scores the opener, then puts in a delightful cross for Sturridge or Suarez to nod in a last minute winner for us - then people can drag up this post and say... "we told you so". If he is instrumental in us getting a positive result then i will hold my hands up and but after 70 odd games - i won't be holding my breath.

Downing is a shithouse, cowardly cunt who should be nowhere near a red shirt. I don't care if he scores a hat-trick on Sunday I still want him gone from our club as soon as possible.

Showed what he's all about against Mansfield with his feeble attempt at winning the ball and blocking the cross for their goal on Sunday. Fuck the wage thief. Not fit to be at the club and I've felt that way since his 'performance' at old Trafford last season.

Extreme, but i can see why you might hold this view.

NO diving

NO feigning injury

NO handballs

DO NOT engage in any conversation with their players. I don't care if they speak your language and they're calling you a filthy peasant

REMEMBER they only do all these things to you because they are scared shitless of you.

Jesus, lets just leave him out altogether, he's such a risk.

A mixture of the manager not yet fully implementing the way he wants us to set up and play, the players still learning the system and a squad that includes a lot of mentally weak players who fold under pressure.

Both yes, but maybe for a little different reason for me. I think our defensive middle three as we come out of our third (read, CBs spread out wider than usual and a dmid tucking in - sometimes alternating as the ball changes flanks) are all lacking a bit in both pace and strength to be able to do the job asked by the system. It often leaves you in individual battles in dangerous parts of the pitch and alot of 2v2 and 3v3 breaks at best if we lose the ball in that transition.

I think scoring has a lot to do with it. Score a goal or two and the team becomes not only more comfortable defensively, but offensively they relax more and control the game better. Sitting 0-0 after 60 odd minutes the players get tense and the opposition get confident going forward. I think scoring goals will help a lot in terms of defending and keeping clean sheets. They always say the best form of defense is attack. We control games well, but for the first half of the season with little end result.

I think scoring has a lot to do with it. Score a goal or two and the team becomes not only more comfortable defensively, but offensively they relax more and control the game better. Sitting 0-0 after 60 odd minutes the players get tense and the opposition get confident going forward. I think scoring goals will help a lot in terms of defending and keeping clean sheets. They always say the best form of defense is attack. We control games well, but for the first half of the season with little end result.

Indeed, think of the 3-2s and even 4-3s that United win.

Score more goals than the opposition, be 7 points clear after 21 games, and no one gives much of a fuck about whether your defence is shaky or not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Bib theory: Reina' date=' Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Suarez, Downing.[/quote']

Would be poor not to start with Sturridge. What is that, anyway, 4-5-1?

Would be poor not to start with Sturridge. What is that, anyway, 4-5-1?

Not sure, but all those players are wearing the same coloured bib, so I expect that to be the team.

I guess either Henderson or Gerrard will be in the front three.

That team suggests to me the plan is keep it tight until the last 30 minutes when we bring on Sturridge and Sterling to try and win us the game.

I think that is the wrong strategy. Last season when we played United we went with a similar approach, had Suarez isolated upfront on his own and they dominated. It was wasn't until we gave Suarez some support with Carroll, they had more to worry about and we were then the better team - but it was too little too late.

I'd rather see Sturridge start and play 60 minutes, than come off the bench for 30 minutes - the game might be over by then!

NO diving

NO feigning injury

NO handballs

Wait, who has brought up Suarez?