You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland (h) Match Thread

Anubis

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Lucas is still recovering from his injuries but Taraabt made him look like a cripple - he could easily have gotten another yellow. People have been running right past him and at the moment he looks a liability.

So' date=' we lost to Villa at home, a team that has gone on to lose their last 3 by a combined score of 15-0. Stoke beat us away. We beat a truly shite, gutless side away.

Conclusion: We should clobber Sunderland.[/quote']

Lucas will take a while to get properly fit. But he is always going to be susceptible to people running at or past him with the ball. We should beat Sunderland anyway.

I'd love us to have a go at them early on. I don't think Sunderland's CBs are particularly quick (Bramble and Cuellar) and attacking early worked relatively well against Stoke and QPR. Suarez does what he does and we'll hopefully get a brace from him at home, however Mignolet (like most opposition keepers at Anfield) will have a MOTM performance. The only reason I'd have Downing in midfield is that he can match Johnson for pace on the wing, slow him down before he gets to our defenders, and still able to offer something going forward. He'll get some help from Henderson too if he's well enough to start. I really want them to do well for the second half of the season, that is, if they are both still here.

Don't mind Downing on the left for this one because Johnson can cut inside.

Usually I'd want Lucas back in the side as well, but all of Sunderland's midfield are shite so it gives us a chance to ease him back into the side gradually.

Reina

Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson

Henderson Allen

Suso Gerrard Downing

Suarez

As well as Gerrard played against QPR, I'd still swap him with Henderson. Also, the latter's younger legs will help cover the inexperienced right hand side of the team. Let Stevie concentrate on creating and putting away chances.

I could live with that.

I like your fantasy better than mine in fact. And I'm prepared to dress up.

Lucas will take a while to get properly fit. But he is always going to be susceptible to people running at or past him with the ball. We should beat Sunderland anyway.

Lucas was never the fastest. He relies on positioning. Henderson is more physical, well, that is if he wants to be or if he has the guts to be so.

Then there's the real question, why bring in Allen. He is the slowest of these three, and the least physically able, and the weakest when we do not have the ball. And, when in in possession, he may have the ability to produce pretty much the same as the other two, but in most of the matches he has just not done that.

And where is Sahin, anyway, he is Allen with twice the ability, but half the desire. Rotation there, possibilities and options...

Lucas was never the fastest. He relies on positioning. Henderson is more physical, well, that is if he wants to be or if he has the guts to be so.

Then there's the real question, why bring in Allen. He is the slowest of these three, and the least physically able, and the weakest when we do not have the ball. And, when in in possession, he may have the ability to produce pretty much the same as the other two, but in most of the matches he has just not done that.

And where is Sahin, anyway, he is Allen with twice the ability, but half the desire. Rotation there, possibilities and options...

I think Allen has won the ball more often than any other player in the prem this season so far, and I suspect over the course of a season he would give fewer fouls away than Lucas, as he is a cleaner tackler. So, I will disagree with you on who is the better player without the ball. He seems to me to be much more mobile than Lucas, and his overall distribution is probably better.

Let's see where we are when Lucas is fit. Henderson is growing in confidence and stature, and will be an excellent player in a year or two, as will Allen.

I'm really disappointed that Sahin hasn't worked out so far - he may never. I was looking forward to him making a real contribution, instead it's solely resulted in us making a contribution to Real.

Lucas is better at what he does than Allen. Stats say it. Eyes say it. It doesn't make Allen a bad player. It's just Lucas is better. Sorry if that doesn't feed your prejudice Stringy. Lucas wishes you a Happy New Year, you little Grinch, you..

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd have Allen over Lucas, just as long as we can have a big, hardman next to him. Interesting stats, but strange you only picked out the passes forward one, rather than chances created, goals score, chance conversion, etc.

I like Lucas, but he tends to be overrated by a section of our support and underrated by a different section. He's clearly a good player, he isn't, in my opinion, a top quality one. I think Allen could be, playing in the right team. Still, I think we'll see that when he gets to be as old as Lucas.

I'd have Allen over Lucas, just as long as we can have a big, hardman next to him. Interesting stats, but strange you only picked out the passes forward one, rather than chances created, goals score, chance conversion, etc.

I like Lucas, but he tends to be overrated by a section of our support and underrated by a different section. He's clearly a good player, he isn't, in my opinion, a top quality one. I think Allen could be, playing in the right team. Still, I think we'll see that when he gets to be as old as Lucas.

There's no doubt that Lucas is not the same player, since the injury. He could tackle, pass long or short, at tempo, and could read the game very well. You don't make the Brazilian national team if you aren't quality. Lucas was quality.

Unfortunately, and I think it's match fitness, he's not the same player currently. That type of injury can be a career destroying one. Particularly affected, is the ability to turn quickly and tightly. The longer Lucas is unable to return to his best, the more his confidence will complicate the issue. If improvement isn't visible in the short term, we may have to let him go, which for me, is very disappointing.

Allen, for me, is showing no signs of being anything but ordinary. He's hassled off the ball easily, ponderous and generally plays it safe, usually meaning he isn't inventive.

Swansea, and teams like Swansea, are really for players like Allen.

He should have stayed there; but then, so should Rodgers.

Yes, and it's because of the injury, which is a little worrying. However, full match fitness may show him back to his best.

I'd have Henderson over Allen let alone Lucas. I'm yet to see what Allen even offers.

Lucas is better at what he does than Allen. Stats say it. Eyes say it. It doesn't make Allen a bad player. It's just Lucas is better. Sorry if that doesn't feed your prejudice Stringy. Lucas wishes you a Happy New Year, you little Grinch, you..

I'm not prejudiced against Lucas, I just have a different opinion of his abilities than you. He would have played more forward passes last year than Allen, because he plays further back. Allen was all over the pitch last year, but generally played further forward than Lucas, meaning there was less 'forward' space for him to play the ball into.

And very best wishes for the New Year to Lucas too. If he becomes half the player you think he is, we'll do very well. :)

Allen has struggled everytime a strong midfielder presses him and plays physical. He's neither quick enough nor strong enough to be consistently successful. When given space and time he looks nice but who doesen't. This is why he is average not class. I fail to see how having someone strong in partnership will help him retain the ball when he is pressed by a strong oppossing player.

In this league size does matter.

if anyone is looking a ticket for this, I'm not taking my seat tomorrow and it's back with the ticket office. They haven't contacted me to say it's been bought yet so if anyone wants it, middle of centenary upper tier, CE 4, directly across from the players tunnel so more or less middle of the pitch.

obviously I'll get a percentage back if it's sold.

looks like theres no chance of Sturridge being involved (I reckon he signed this morning but we'll announce it close to kick off) which is a shame but not surprise either

--------------Pepe--------------

Johnson--Skrtel---Agger--Robinson

---Henderson--Lucas--Allen-------

Stevie---------Suarez-------Sterling

Think Wisdom will probably play and I wouldn't mind if he did but I do think Johnson is far more effective at right back than on the left so I'd play Robinson at left back, Henderson deserves to start after QPR but I'd still prefer him deep and Stevie further up and Allen had his best game for a while despite still not hitting his earlier season form so I'd start him ahead of Sahin who I've wanted to get a go lately but seems to be a lot of rumours going round about him at the minute

Wonder which liverpool will turn up for this, the really shit one or the average one. I expect a win regardless as Suarez will just turn them inside out.

Hopefully Bramble will give an average Bramble performance which could lead to happy days for Luis !