You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I genuinely appreciate all of your posts, advice, words of encouragement and offers of help. This morning, I asked my wife to phone the doctors surgery on my behalf (speaking on the phone isn't an option, because of my anxiety issues) and make me an appointment. The appointment is for two weeks on Monday.

Bump.

How are you doing, Tony?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of three separate cases of men under the age of 35 killing themselves within the last week.

1) some lad who who used to go to my school

2) some footy player was on the BBC website this morning

3) was watching take me out with my bird on sat. One of the lads got a date then it was in the news on Sunday that he had topped himself (no shit jokes please).

People from all walks of life. The footy player seemed to have a perfect life. The lad from my school was a fitness fanatic and seemed fit and happy. The lad from take me out looked like a decent normal lad.

I had a bad relapse in November, Champ on here helped me through it quite a lot via PM (really appreciated Cath, as ever). 

Don't know where it came from, I had a couple of job interviews in the week it kicked off, but I also felt the dark nights had an impact. We also had a gaggle of dickheads in our office right behind me playing music and f*cking around like kids all the time. Things seemed to be annoying me more and more and then one Friday my head just started buzzing and wouldn't stop. 

I went to the doc's and got back on my old anxiety meds, but that night I threw up (don't know to this day if it was legit or anxiety, doctor reckons it was winter vomiting bug and just a coincidence), and my thoughts just started running away from me (what if I can never go out again in case I throw up in public etc etc).

The following weekend was terrible, I couldn't even stand in the Post Office without breaking out into sweats, and being in the shops was terrifying, all for no apparent reason.

Strangely my mate was off with the exact same thing at the exact same time, we sort of helped each other through it, would send each other a 'how are you?' text in the morning and, when we were up to it, would meet up for coffee or something. I was off work for six weeks, first off not going out much but trying to force myself to do  things like go the gym.

The doc sent me to some stress classes (which strangely were communal, about 50 people in each one) but the bloke running them was sound (Talk Liverpool,  you can self refer) and he's set me up with some one to one sessions. He reckons my actual problem is panic rather than anxiety. I think my previous bout of anxiety a couple of years back stayed with me and the panic symptoms sometimes set in (sometimes when I'm out I NEED a shit for example), but then that stress causes anxiety, I feel like half a man. 

I also feel preoccupied with the concept of illness and death, not just of me but the people close to me. I've been reading some of these interviews with Prince Harry actually (never been a royalist by any means but really admire the work he, William and Kate have done on removing the stigma) and I think I've had some oe the issues he's had. He said he 'shut down' emotionally when his mum died, I thihk that happened to me when my granddad died. I've never cried about it because I had to soldier on, at the age of 17 I stayed over with my nan that night to keep her company, didn't grieve but felt I had to 'stand guard', I also took the phone off my mum when we found his body and I had to do all the arrangements with the ambulance etc.

I think since then, I've dealt with stress by ignoring it, I just get on with things, this is how I dealt with my mum effectively disowning me a few months back and them forgetting she'd ever done it, I just carried on but was having nightmares about it. I don't 'worry' as such, but subconsciously I'm constantly afraid.

I also get wracked with guilt when I end up like I did last time, feeling sorry for my Mrs and wondering what kind of wreck she married. 

I'm on the mend now I think, I'd say about 75-80% of 'normal', but underneath I still feel like a big volcano of anxious shite, it's like you're constantly hanging off a cliff and don't want to let go. 

• Upvote 7

Mark this may be a silly question as you've seen a Doctor but have you had your thyroid tested?  My wife started suffering from symptoms  similar to yours last year accompanied by severe weight loss, tremors and panic attacks.  Her thyroid readings were off the scale when tested.  We've both gone through a stressful time the past couple of years with various things and apparently a stress overload can trigger Thyroid problems. Kind of a vicious circle to be honest.  

She's on meds to bring it down and is taking things a bit easier now but it's been a struggle to get her to this point. Just thought it might be relevant to mention it to you.

• Upvote 4

Mark this may be a silly question as you've seen a Doctor but have you had your thyroid tested?  My wife started suffering from symptoms  similar to yours last year accompanied by severe weight loss, tremors and panic attacks.  Her thyroid readings were off the scale when tested.  We've both gone through a stressful time the past couple of years with various things and apparently a stress overload can trigger Thyroid problems. Kind of a vicious circle to be honest.  

She's on meds to bring it down and is taking things a bit easier now but it's been a struggle to get her to this point. Just thought it might be relevant to mention it to you.

Cheers mate yeah it could be worth looking in to, I had full bloods done last year (as my blood pressure is also high, I'm on meds for that) but yeah, that might be something I should see about! 

• Upvote 1

Cheers mate yeah it could be worth looking in to, I had full bloods done last year (as my blood pressure is also high, I'm on meds for that) but yeah, that might be something I should see about! 

Worth a shot anyway. I hope things work out. And please try not to worry about what kind of husband you are being to your wife. My Mrs was thinking the exact same way when her symptoms were at their worst, thinking she was letting me down and was a disaster etc.  I told her in no uncertain terms never to think that way.  She's been there for me more times than I can remember and It's my turn now to look after her. I  know that your Mrs will do the same for you.

• Upvote 3

I had a major panic attack at home a few Saturday's ago, feeling fine around 7.30 next thing , boom, ends up sitting in the garden in only my shorts and it was freezing. Coffee in hand thinking I'm having a Connery when 2 Robins come into the garden and land on a garden rake I had left out, I just sat there watching them and the calmed down, that and 5 drops of Rescue. The scariest thing is it can come on at any time.

• Upvote 1

I had a major panic attack at home a few Saturday's ago, feeling fine around 7.30 next thing , boom, ends up sitting in the garden in only my shorts and it was freezing. Coffee in hand thinking I'm having a Connery when 2 Robins come into the garden and land on a garden rake I had left out, I just sat there watching them and the calmed down, that and 5 drops of Rescue. The scariest thing is it can come on at any time.

Have you tried swerving coffee mate? Cafeine is a major contributor.

Worth a shot anyway. I hope things work out. And please try not to worry about what kind of husband you are being to your wife. My Mrs was thinking the exact same way when her symptoms were at their worst, thinking she was letting me down and was a disaster etc.  I told her in no uncertain terms never to think that way.  She's been there for me more times than I can remember and It's my turn now to look after her. I  know that your Mrs will do the same for you.

Cheers again pal. I'm deffo gonna try and book myself in. One thing that's never made any sense about my panic symptoms is that I'm not especially stressed, a couple of years ago when this all kicked off I was, but not now - my 'anxiety' has always been purely physical, in fact I deliberately put myself in situations where it might get set off to prove to myself I'm not going to be beaten by it, the bloke from Talk Liverpool reckons this indicates I don't have an anxiety disorder. 

Cheers again pal. I'm deffo gonna try and book myself in. One thing that's never made any sense about my panic symptoms is that I'm not especially stressed, a couple of years ago when this all kicked off I was, but not now - my 'anxiety' has always been purely physical, in fact I deliberately put myself in situations where it might get set off to prove to myself I'm not going to be beaten by it, the bloke from Talk Liverpool reckons this indicates I don't have an anxiety disorder. 

Good man, get it done if at least just to rule it out.  Hope things work out

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spiralling here. Think I'm keeping it hidden from everyone around me, but my sleep is patchy, I'm not interested in my job and do as little as possible which will hit the fan as deadlines approach and my daughter is 100% in my thoughts (she's struggling development wise and another brick wall hit today).

I'm on a stag do on Saturday and my first thought is to get smashed out of my mind. I don't do doctors, in fact I don't have one. Mine retired about 6 years back and I never signed up to a new one.

I'll be honest, I'm a shell at the minute. I'm taking every day slowly but I cannot wait until I'm asleep so I've not got a thousand thoughts running through my mind.

My best mate is signed off with depression so don't know if that's on my mind at the minute. He's admitted he's had dark thoughts, I'm not there yet but I'm not sure how far off I am. I'm not the type of person who thinks deeply about things so everything is fleeting at the moment.

I'm determined to keep it together for my wife's sake. She's the dramatic one, I'm the fella who keeps the stiff upper lip. She's in another room now crying on the phone to her mum about our daughter. I'm watching telly like a dickhead.

• Upvote 6

Spiralling here. Think I'm keeping it hidden from everyone around me, but my sleep is patchy, I'm not interested in my job and do as little as possible which will hit the fan as deadlines approach and my daughter is 100% in my thoughts (she's struggling development wise and another brick wall hit today).

I'm on a stag do on Saturday and my first thought is to get smashed out of my mind. I don't do doctors, in fact I don't have one. Mine retired about 6 years back and I never signed up to a new one.

I'll be honest, I'm a shell at the minute. I'm taking every day slowly but I cannot wait until I'm asleep so I've not got a thousand thoughts running through my mind.

My best mate is signed off with depression so don't know if that's on my mind at the minute. He's admitted he's had dark thoughts, I'm not there yet but I'm not sure how far off I am. I'm not the type of person who thinks deeply about things so everything is fleeting at the moment.

I'm determined to keep it together for my wife's sake. She's the dramatic one, I'm the fella who keeps the stiff upper lip. She's in another room now crying on the phone to her mum about our daughter. I'm watching telly like a dickhead.

Fuck the stiff upper lip mate. Does no one any good. Have a chat with someone. Your wife for a start. If you're married and have a daughter together and are going through other challenges, she needs to know how you're doing.

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression? Have you had times like this much in your life? Of is it because of certain things going on at the moment?

There's no shame whatsoever in recognising you might neeed a bit of help or just an ear to bend. Conversely, it takes some real balls (or in 3 Stacks' case, ball), to come onto The Mighty GF and lay it all out infront of a load of cunts.

I can never understand when I hear people say "I don't do doctors". My own GP is a fucking great lad and I always enjoy talking to him, and his advice and his treatments are always welcomed.

You've taken a first step here, with that post, you're already started to ascend that mental mountain, keep going mate cos you'll get there. A little help along the way is a good good thing.

You're amongst friends here. All the best.

• Upvote 1

1. You have taken the first step in getting back control by posting on here.

Edit. What Carvs said

2. Get yourself registered with a doctor (this may not be entirely straightforward, as my son recently discovered) and make an appointment with one of the GPS

3. PM your address x