You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Modern life is definitely the biggest factor. Was saying to my Mrs this morning as we hurriedly ate cerial how the way breakfast is depicted on telly - everyone sat around a table, dad reading the paper etc was a load of bollocks.

We live in a society where more and more of the 'humanity' Is being extracted in favour of greater productivity, simple things we may have previously taken for granted, such as not being too fucked during the weeknights to actually be able to do something fun, to see friends, spend more time with family, dedicate time to hobbies, know your neighbours, smell the roses and chew the fat.

All in exchange for ever lesser rewards and ever greater financial insecurity.

True that. I find that my week nights and weekends these days are more like recovery from the day. Then back into it on Monday. Everything is so fuckin quick!

Guest Pistonbroke

Modern life is definitely the biggest factor. Was saying to my Mrs this morning as we hurriedly ate cerial how the way breakfast is depicted on telly - everyone sat around a table, dad reading the paper etc was a load of bollocks.

We live in a society where more and more of the 'humanity' Is being extracted in favour of greater productivity, simple things we may have previously taken for granted, such as not being too fucked during the weeknights to actually be able to do something fun, to see friends, spend more time with family, dedicate time to hobbies, know your neighbours, smell the roses and chew the fat.

It shouldn't make me laugh but that is life in a nutshell for many. 

The thing that really gets to me is the way media outlets like the Mail and the Spectator and others get indignant about people not fitting into family models and life akin to 1950's village existences and then advocate for no-holds barred capitalism. You can have one or the other, I have a lot more respect for total libertarians who view everything through the crucible of capitalism/maximised productivity or traditional religious types who want an 'ordered' society with state controlled economic structures. 

My own situation is a great example of this, I and my brother both work hundred/thousands of miles away from home as has been directed by economic opportunity brought about from capitalist systems and yet I still get castigated by some for not being located closer to home in case I need to care for my parents. You can't fucking win.

• Upvote 1

It shouldn't make me laugh but that is life in a nutshell for many. 

Yup, me necking an espresso and snorting some porridge, Lady D putting makeup on with one hand eating a crumpet with the other whilst Babby D had a couple of tube yogurts in front of the telly so we've got time to get ourselves, and her ready for school and nursery

True that. I find that my week nights and weekends these days are more like recovery from the day. Then back into it on Monday. Everything is so fuckin quick!

This too. Tired all the time.  The one night a week Babby D spends with my parents me and Lady D generally sit in monged watching telly.  When we rouse ourselves to go out we have fun but then we're just shattered for another week  

Exactly how I feel mate.

These days I really do try to take the time to appreciate the so called small things which I'm sure we're all guilty of taking for granted. I'm well aware also that once again, soon I'll be knacker deep back in the world of greed and grime, meat for the man. It's more important than ever, vital, that we each maximise our free time and our enjoyment of these simple things.

I'm a secret agent working undercover from within, but hey, I opt out. There's a clear line which devides my working life from my preferred, healthy, real life. It might get smudged sometimes but I'm determeined that those bastards will not cross it.

• Upvote 1

The worst invention ever when it comes to causing stress at work is the smart phone.

You cant hide and information such as emails etc can be accessed 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If work gives you one of these make sure you have a separate personal phone and ignore the other outside working hours.

I remember when we were all given Blackberrys years ago and some of the twats I worked with were over the moon and would wander around waving them about thinking they were godlike. The problem was and still is, that they were just shackles. You had no excuse not to be in the loop over every little fucking that happened in the business.

Dont get me started on how much stress the misuse of emails cause.

• Upvote 1

Exactly how I feel mate.

These days I really do try to take the time to appreciate the so called small things which I'm sure we're all guilty of taking for granted. I'm well aware also that once again, soon I'll be knacker deep back in the world of greed and grime, meat for the man. It's more important than ever, vital, that we each maximise our free time and our enjoyment of these simple things.

I'm a secret agent working undercover from within, but hey, I opt out. There's a clear line which devides my working life from my preferred, healthy, real life. It might get smudged sometimes but I'm determeined that those bastards will not cross it.

My work/life balance isn't too bad but the Mrs's is none existent, so to a large extent so is mine. We're up at six, she's back at six, have our tea then she works until eight, usually both in bed by 10 - it's like that all week. 

I look out the window when I'm getting dressed and pretty much everyone is up and out at that kind of time, I see the couple over the road dump their kids with their nan next door and pick them up again later on, and I just look at it and think 'fucking hell, is this what's in store?' 

I think the yanks work harder than us in terms of shit holiday entitlements etc, but I think they have more to show for it, I think if you're doing the job you're doing now over there,  your car/house will be bigger and so will your disposable income when you factor in things like petrol costs etc. 

Conversely, there's countries in Europe where they work less hours but have less to show for it in terms of financial gain - but - and it's a big but -  they have more time to live life, see family and friends. Virtually every foreigner I've ever met who's spent any length of time in the UK, even from relatively poor countries like Congo, have commented on this divergence of lifestyle. 

The UK, more than most countries, seems to be run like a precision watch in terms of how finely balanced it fucks you. It gives you - always - 'just' enough to get by. The minute your wage goes up a pound, petrol goes up a pound, when petrol goes down a pound, the rent goes up five. No country epitomises 'hamster wheel' like the UK. 

• Upvote 1

The worst invention ever when it comes to causing stress at work is the smart phone.

You cant hide and information such as emails etc can be accessed 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If work gives you one of these make sure you have a separate personal phone and ignore the other outside working hours.

I remember when we were all given Blackberrys years ago and some of the twats I worked with were over the moon and would wander around waving them about thinking they were godlike. The problem was and still is, that they were just shackles. You had no excuse not to be in the loop over every little fucking that happened in the business.

Dont get me started on how much stress the misuse of emails cause.

The worst invention ever second only to daytime TV.

My work/life balance isn't too bad but the Mrs's is none existent, so to a large extent so is mine. We're up at six, she's back at six, have our tea then she works until eight, usually both in bed by 10 - it's like that all week. 

I look out the window when I'm getting dressed and pretty much everyone is up and out at that kind of time, I see the couple over the road dump their kids with their nan next door and pick them up again later on, and I just look at it and think 'fucking hell, is this what's in store?' 

I think the yanks work harder than us in terms of shit holiday entitlements etc, but I think they have more to show for it, I think if you're doing the job you're doing now over there,  your car/house will be bigger and so will your disposable income when you factor in things like petrol costs etc. 

Conversely, there's countries in Europe where they work less hours but have less to show for it in terms of financial gain - but - and it's a big but -  they have more time to live life, see family and friends. Virtually every foreigner I've ever met who's spent any length of time in the UK, even from relatively poor countries like Congo, have commented on this divergence of lifestyle. 

The UK, more than most countries, seems to be run like a precision watch in terms of how finely balanced it fucks you. It gives you - always - 'just' enough to get by. The minute your wage goes up a pound, petrol goes up a pound, when petrol goes down a pound, the rent goes up five. No country epitomises 'hamster wheel' like the UK.

The Congo was just fine until King Leopold got his grubby blood stained mitts on their rubber.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the problems stem from childhood and the curriculum at schools. We learnt fuck all about the housing market, interest rates, debt and how not to get into it, credit ratings etc. All the stuff you need to know as you grow into adulthood. Thats why so many leave school and get hit in the face with the harsh cold reality of life. It pays for the government to have people (as Moctezuma rightly put it) peddling harder and faster, getting in debt with seemingly no way out and generally scraping by. Its a fucking disgrace that i've never once used what I learnt about magnesium burning as I've got older. 

Can't remember where I first read this - so apologies if it was on here and I'm reposting it.

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question.

Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything." It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night.

Remember to put the glass down!

• Upvote 2

Just had a meeting before I left work and we discussed some project that's happening and agreed some 'outputs' to send out to people. It was my job to send them out and the woman I was having the meeting with was like "so can you get them out tonight for everyone to review" I just said no and walked out the room. It was 5pm and she wanted me to send some shite out that adds pretty much zero value to anything. Sorry going off tangent for the title of the thread but you can see why people get over burdened and stressed with modern life. Everything has to grow as fast as possible and as cheap as possible.

A lot of the problems stem from childhood and the curriculum at schools. We learnt fuck all about the housing market, interest rates, debt and how not to get into it, credit ratings etc. All the stuff you need to know as you grow into adulthood. Thats why so many leave school and get hit in the face with the harsh cold reality of life. It pays for the government to have people (as Moctezuma rightly put it) peddling harder and faster, getting in debt with seemingly no way out and generally scraping by. Its a fucking disgrace that i've never once used what I learnt about magnesium burning as I've got older. 

I have never found much use for the anatomy of a turnip in later life either.

I have never found much use for the anatomy of a turnip in later life either.

Not my favourite root vegetable but I do remember doing the onion cell thingy under a microscope wnd injecting some food colouring in it.

It has really helped me in life, I still cry when I slicethe bastards up.

Just had a meeting before I left work and we discussed some project that's happening and agreed some 'outputs' to send out to people. It was my job to send them out and the woman I was having the meeting with was like "so can you get them out tonight for everyone to review" I just said no and walked out the room. It was 5pm and she wanted me to send some shite out that adds pretty much zero value to anything. Sorry going off tangent for the title of the thread but you can see why people get over burdened and stressed with modern life. Everything has to grow as fast as possible and as cheap as possible.

Fuck the Columbo style of management.... oh, just one more thing....

• Upvote 1

There's a thread in there. I was thinking about it this morning when I saw something about dancing at weddings

It's back again, the black dog has returned, sinking in to a pit of despair. Has to end!

I was just thinking that things were probably feeling a bit brighter as you've been around here a bit more recently, which I suppose goes to show that you never really know what's going on for people.

Get yourself back to your doctor, mister

I'm hoping it's just a dip, I only finished counselling a few weeks ago, I've been practicing mindfulness wherever and whenever possible. Then a couple of low days and I've dropped like a stone.

Good man!

Has anything happened over the last few days?

Repped for giving the mindfulness a go. What can you do today to keep your thoughts from racing away from you?

I'm really glad I found this thread today. I work three days a week and yesterday was asked if I could juggle some of my days about as they're short staffed for the next few weeks.

I've been really stressing myself trying to work out what days I could do because I have other things on, appointments I make on my days off etc, elderly parents to worry about.

My days off are Thurs/Fri and lately I seem to do nothing on Thursday I'm just mentally drained. I stayed late one day last week and then got moaned at for something minor. And yet I'm actually thinking how can I help them?

Thanks to this thread I'm going to say I can't do it. One of the days is a Thursday when Mr Suzy has the day off, I thought it's only the one day but it isn't, when he has the Thursday off it means he's working all weekend, when I'm off!

(I've also cried reading some of your stories, I had a really bad post natal depression that had me hospitalised but I won't go into that now)

• Upvote 5

Good man!

Has anything happened over the last few days?

Repped for giving the mindfulness a go. What can you do today to keep your thoughts from racing away from you?

Just odds and sods, main one: I have very little to do in work at present so as next contract not due to start until mid June I'll take half term week off, go away with family.

Gets kids all excited, next day check rotas in work and what's the one week I'm covering on another contract? Yep half term week. I think they could have got somebody else to cover, but no not for me.

So its my family that end up disappointed again.

First world problems I know, but it always fucking seems to happen!