You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Difficult to argue with much of this and in many ways by invading Iraq we completely destabilised the regional balance. Until the invasion and for some time afterwards Iran was moving towards freedom of speech and a more open society particularly through an active student voice. We do seem to have driven it towards a more extremist position, hardly a surprise that it wants to achieve a nuclear status given that it's spent much of the last ten years with the only global superpower sat on it's border. Despite our protestations of not being prepared to accept Iran as a nuclear power we do little to honour our non proliferation agreements. We can hardly complain about another country seeking a nuclear option when we're so hell bent on retaining and upgrading our own nuclear capability.

The concern for me is the attempt to paint Iran as a religious state hell bent on provoking confrontation in order to seek the return of the 12th imman. This seems to be the narrative the American right are using to justify a preemptive strike with Israel acting as their proxy.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all hell break loose post a Republican presidential victory.

I agree with most of that.

Only thing is, Obama doesn't seem to be in a hurry to stop a war over there either, he'll back Israel too if he stays in and there isn't any doubt in my mind about that either.

The only people who actually wanted to stop these wars and not create new ones that were in the candidacy this time round were Ron Paul and Gary Johnson and they both basically got frozen out by the establishment during the debates and some would say at the polls/delegate caucuses (moreso Paul, Johnson bailed on the R's very early) as well.

Torahboy also was spot on.

Weapons makers have obviously got a surplus or are looking to up production.

When the US buys the vast majority of weapons of the whole planet then they are always looking for ways to show off their shiny new unused toys and a war with iran would really expend some weaponry.

Why don't the leaders just sit down and have a big game of Risk and get it out of their systems.

A round robin format including Israel,Russia and China would go down a storm.

Weapons makers have obviously got a surplus or are looking to up production.

When the US buys the vast majority of weapons of the whole planet then they are always looking for ways to show off their shiny new unused toys and a war with iran would really expend some weaponry.

Why don't the leaders just sit down and have a big game of Risk and get it out of their systems.

A round robin format including Israel,Russia and China would go down a storm.

I think they are, except they're using real people and real countries...

Mubarak was our man. We only supported the rebels when it became clear that they were going to take power of their country from him; then tried to get anyone we could in there that would keep fucking over Egyptians and run the country in our self-interest and not theirs.

Syria ain't on our team, hence the help.

Bahrain holds the US 5th Fleet, hence why their rebels and protesters are on their own.

Exactly.

Exactly.

I have to say I'm amazed at the amount of people who actually see the forest through the trees here, especially the American ones. Sad to say I don't meet to many of us who are even willing to discuss how ridiculous these wars are. They're either for or against and it usually comes back to "no matter what we need to support our troops" which always makes me wonder how continuing to allow them to be shipped off to another war of political and perhaps monetary gain is actually "supporting" them.

There's still some people about who think it'd be an easy war. Fucking hell, they'd be in for a massive shock.

Political spectrum has shifted even further to the right in the last decade; if you could get away, virtually, scot free with napalm in Fallujah, then it's not unreasonable to think a Republican President, with a Republican congress, could go even further and show everybody why militarizating space was a great idea.

It would be a pretty easy war if they did that.

Surely supporting them would not be sending them into harms way in the first place?

Yea and failing that bringing them home once it's turned out it's all bullshit, but loads don't see it that way. They see criticizing the war as criticizing the troops. As if they want to be over there getting shot at and killing people that aren't any real threat to us as a nation.

I think the difference between the two is that the leadership of Israel actually does represent the views of the majority of it's hawk-beaked bigoted religiously introverted population, whereas Iran is more of a dictatorship. The people of Israel, and Jews in general, pretty much deserve whatever shit comes their way,.

I agree. Fucking Jewish bigots, all those kikes should go back to the ovens. Starting with Yossi and Avi's ghost. And don't get me started on "Rocket" Ronny Rosenthal, the only rocket he deserves is a V2 on his kibbutz. The bigots.

Edited by Mick Brown Nose

Israel has given out gas masks and is testing air raid siren systems now

its on soon enough

Doesn't necessarily mean anything is on, it's just sensible precautions when you're surrounded on three sides by psychos and on the other by the sea that aforementioned psychos have been trying to drive you into for the last 60-odd years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Doesn't necessarily mean anything is on, it's just sensible precautions when you're surrounded on three sides by psychos and on the other by the sea that aforementioned psychos have been trying to drive you into for the last 60-odd years.

Fucking hell, you sound like a crazed Israeli loon. Israel is the main aggressor in the region. You clearly know this.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Awww, that poor nuclear armed superpower, with billions in military aid, who are violating more International laws than any other nation in the world. Land grabbing, murder, subjugation. It makes it hard for anybody rational to worry about the 'bullying'.