You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's getting dodgy... Canada has just closed their embassy, and recalled their diplomats... and expelled Iranian diplomats.

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada has closed its embassy in Iran and will expel all Iranian diplomats in Canada within five days, Foreign Minister John Baird said on Friday, denouncing Tehran as the biggest threat to global security.

"Diplomatic relations between Canada and Iran have been suspended," Baird said.

He cited Iran's nuclear program, its hostility toward Israel and Iranian military assistance to the government of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, which is locked in civil war with rebels. He also said Iran was a state sponsor of terrorism.

Canada's move was swiftly applauded by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has strongly warned of the danger of a growing threat from Iran.

Baird accused Iran of showing blatant disregard for the safety of foreign diplomats. "Canada views the government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today," he said in a statement.

"Under the circumstances, Canada can no longer maintain a diplomatic presence in Iran," he said, declaring that Iran had shown "blatant disregard" for the Vienna Convention's guarantee of protection for diplomats.

Ottawa has long had poor relations with Iran, in part because of its enmity toward close Canadian ally Israel.

"I wish to congratulate (Canadian) Prime Minister Stephen Harper who has made a bold leadership move that sends a clear message to Iran and to the entire world," Netanyahu said in a statement from Jerusalem.

"The determination shown by Canada is of great importance in order for the Iranians to understand that they cannot go on with their race toward nuclear arms. This practical step must set an example of international morality and responsibility to the international community," he said.

The United States has not had a functioning embassy in Tehran since the 1979-81 hostage crisis, when 52 Americans were held for 444 days. Britain's embassy in Tehran has been closed since it was stormed by protesters last November.

During the hostage crisis, the Canadian embassy in Tehran sheltered six U.S. diplomats who had avoided capture, and then helped them leave Iran with Canadian passports in January 1980. The Canadian embassy then closed, reopening only in 1988.

Iran and Israel deserve each other. Horrible states. Let them go at it.

I think the difference between the two is that the leadership of Israel actually does represent the views of the majority of it's hawk-beaked bigoted religiously introverted population, whereas Iran is more of a dictatorship. The people of Israel, and Jews in general, pretty much deserve whatever shit comes their way,.

I think the difference between the two is that the leadership of Israel actually does represent the views of the majority of it's hawk-beaked bigoted religiously introverted population, whereas Iran is more of a dictatorship. The people of Israel, and Jews in general, pretty much deserve whatever shit comes their way,.

Yeah - gotta hate them bigots.

I think Iran is some sort of weird Theocracy-Democracy Hybrid. They have a President but I think it's the Ayatollah that wields the real power there.

The main problem with this whole thing is Russia and China don't like the idea of the US occupying yet another nation too close to them. That's why they appear to be backing Iran. I think both (Russia and the ChiComs) could honestly give a fuck about Israel, which is a policy I wish the US would adopt actually.

I also heard somewhere that Iran is sending troops to Syria to help them with their rebellion. So if Israel and subsequently the US help the Al-Qaeda led rebels (seriously you can't make this shit up) then it could all kick it off in the worst way very quickly.

Fixed that for you

Although to be fair, if they go, we Americans go because for some reason we're Israel's bitch

Without going all tinfoil hat on you look at THIS.

I'm not one for all that hullabaloo and whatnot, but a nation raised on fundamentalist principles may look to the Bible and take heed, maybe without a rational understanding admittedly, and form a truth for a few, that is to be ratified by 'consensus' allowing heresay and happenstance to focus future thinking upon?

Ignorance is strength.

Without going all tinfoil hat on you look at THIS.

I'm not one for all that hullabaloo and whatnot, but a nation raised on fundamentalist principles may look to the Bible and take heed, maybe without a rational understanding admittedly, and form a truth for a few, that is to be ratified by 'consensus' allowing heresay and happenstance to focus future thinking upon?

Ignorance is strength.

You don't have to worry about going "tinfoil hat" on me I don't mind them and actually think a lot of those theories have points that are relevant to discussion even though a good lot of them might be over the top. For example - David Icke's reptoid theory, I'm not buying that lots of elite people are in fact aliens, but then he talks about a lot of metaphysical stuff that I don't see as entirely wrong. Also his idea of the television being used (or that it can be used) as a form of control AND his "problem-reaction-solution" spiel aren't too far off into space to not merit discussion.

In terms of end-times discussion as a Christian (self-studied, I do not belong to a denominated church) I've always believed that the events depicted in Revelations are yet to happen anyway.

In fact while it's not quite end-times as a whole, Zionism is one of the things Iran (most Muslims actually) claim to have against Israel and anyone willing to do the research on Judaism and subsequently Christianity and even Islam can see that the idea of it is quite contrary to what the Torah states God commanded Jewish people to do. In fact there are quite a few Jewish groups who are against the nation-state of Israel and the concept of Zionism as well.

The west sponsored destabilisation of Egypt, Libya and now Syria has no purpose other than to render Israel's 'enemies' impotent, certainly in the short term. The whole exercise, though, will just help to create even more hardline Islamic states in the future. But these new states will be starting from scratch militarily and the Zionist war machine will be even greater and more sophisticated, thus ensuring Israel's pre-eminence in the middle east.

Iran actually offers a certain balance in the region, not a threat. Had Iranian nuclear capability been as advanced or as potent militarily, combined with the supposed volatility, anti-semitism and psychopathy of the Iranian leadership, then I reckon we may have seen some sign of sabre rattling from Ahmedinejad.

Yet most of his public words have been an appeal for equanimity in the region; fair treatment for Palestinians, withdrawal of IDF personnel from Lebanon and a return to the 1967 borders of the middle east. He also makes no secret of the fact that Iran is working on nuclear reactors, a process that is made increasingly difficult by MOSSAD's habit of murdering Iran's top physicists and scientists.

The biggest threat to the Zionists would seem to be the paranoid actions of the likes of Netanyahu. But, with the fucking USA, and it's huge Jewish community (most of whom, by no means all, are supporters of a Zionist state) providing heavyweight support, it's no wonder that the Fascist bastards who hold sway in the Knesset are beginning to flex their muscles.

But I say 'blame Canada'.

The west sponsored destabilisation of Egypt, Libya and now Syria has no purpose other than to render Israel's 'enemies' impotent, certainly in the short term. The whole exercise, though, will just help to create even more hardline Islamic states in the future. But these new states will be starting from scratch militarily and the Zionist war machine will be even greater and more sophisticated, thus ensuring Israel's pre-eminence in the middle east.

Iran actually offers a certain balance in the region, not a threat. Had Iranian nuclear capability been as advanced or as potent militarily, combined with the supposed volatility, anti-semitism and psychopathy of the Iranian leadership, then I reckon we may have seen some sign of sabre rattling from Ahmedinejad.

Yet most of his public words have been an appeal for equanimity in the region; fair treatment for Palestinians, withdrawal of IDF personnel from Lebanon and a return to the 1967 borders of the middle east. He also makes no secret of the fact that Iran is working on nuclear reactors, a process that is made increasingly difficult by MOSSAD's habit of murdering Iran's top physicists and scientists.

The biggest threat to the Zionists would seem to be the paranoid actions of the likes of Netanyahu. But, with the fucking USA, and it's huge Jewish community (most of whom, by no means all, are supporters of a Zionist state) providing heavyweight support, it's no wonder that the Fascist bastards who hold sway in the Knesset are beginning to flex their muscles.

Is right lad .Scapegoating on a massive level .

Edited by cloggypop

I love all this "Iran is the biggest threat to..blah, blah, blah". It's almost as if they've got decades of murdering democratically elected leaders and waging wars all over the globe under their belt.

Oh no, that'll be the US.

Even as we speak they are drone bombing the fuck out of civilians and radicalising whole new waves of enemies. They are also destabilising countries like Pakistan and giving the extreme elements all the ammunition they need to keep power away from the more rational elements of their societies.

Agree with that apart from Egypt. The west only started supporting the Arab spring in Egypt once it realised that the people in Tahrir Sq were going to succeed.

Agree with that apart from Egypt. The west only started supporting the Arab spring in Egypt once it realised that the people in Tahrir Sq were going to succeed.

Mubarak was our man. We only supported the rebels when it became clear that they were going to take power of their country from him; then tried to get anyone we could in there that would keep fucking over Egyptians and run the country in our self-interest and not theirs.

Syria ain't on our team, hence the help.

Bahrain holds the US 5th Fleet, hence why their rebels and protesters are on their own.

Difficult to argue with much of this and in many ways by invading Iraq we completely destabilised the regional balance. Until the invasion and for some time afterwards Iran was moving towards freedom of speech and a more open society particularly through an active student voice. We do seem to have driven it towards a more extremist position, hardly a surprise that it wants to achieve a nuclear status given that it's spent much of the last ten years with the only global superpower sat on it's border. Despite our protestations of not being prepared to accept Iran as a nuclear power we do little to honour our non proliferation agreements. We can hardly complain about another country seeking a nuclear option when we're so hell bent on retaining and upgrading our own nuclear capability.

The concern for me is the attempt to paint Iran as a religious state hell bent on provoking confrontation in order to seek the return of the 12th imman. This seems to be the narrative the American right are using to justify a preemptive strike with Israel acting as their proxy.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all hell break loose post a Republican presidential victory.