You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What would you like to happen next season (realistically)?

WhiskeyJar

What would you like to happen next season (realistically)?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to happen next season (realistically)?

• Finish 4th
    • Win at least 2 domestic cups (League and FA)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with that is as soon as you are successful again they all start coming out the woodwork again.

It's strange that most were saying two trophies last season but now the early majority want champions league footy.

Part of that was probably the fact we hadn't won a trophy since '06 and there was that whole "never been to the new Wembley" monkey that needed getting off our backs.

For the record I'd prefer fourth but I hope we don't fuck the cups off in the manner that Hodgson did at Northampton, or arguably Rafa in his first FA Cup, there can be a balance.

And going off on a tangent slightly, but the UEFA Cup (I'm not calling it "Europa") I'd actually put second behind the league, ahead of the FA as well as League Cup, especially as there are actually some good ties to be had in that if you make the business end.

Part of that was probably the fact we hadn't won a trophy since '06 and there was that whole "never been to the new Wembley" monkey that needed getting off our backs.

For the record I'd prefer fourth but I hope we don't fuck the cups off in the manner that Hodgson did at Northampton, or arguably Rafa in his first FA Cup, there can be a balance.

And going off on a tangent slightly, but the UEFA Cup (I'm not calling it "Europa") I'd actually put second behind the league, ahead of the FA as well as League Cup, especially as there are actually some good ties to be had in that if you make the business end.

I'm no Rafa apologist and that Burnley loss was white-hot embarrassing in its nature, but ole big ears did provide the not insubstantial counterbalance we all demanded/required. :yes:

The minimum requrement for me is that we are consistent and competitive in the league with at least a top 6 finish. A cup win in addition would be a welcome bonus but our league form is top priority. I would rather a good consistent league performance finishing 6th, than win any or all of the cup competitions we're in.

Honestly, last season I would have been happy with a better league place than the year before, and a run in a cup. I remember this thread from last year and I don't remember people saying we needed to win two cups. We won one, and when we got towards the final of the FA cup people started changing their stories because it became more realistic. Saying we need to win 2 cups to have a successful season? Who do we think we are? Keep your head on the ground. We've had a rough few years, managers coming and going every summer, the problems with the previous owners and therefore people having a go at the current lot. Its all bullshit and its completely unrealistic to think we can win 2 cups this season. Its a little unrealistic to think we can finish 4th.

New manager, new beginning. I want to see the team playing the way Rodgers wants, and I would like the same league position or better as last year. Just because we have a new manager doesn't mean we can start saying we're gonna push Arsenal, Spurs or Newcastle out of the way and take that spot. I dont wan't to slip another place, 8th really is far enough but Im not kidding myself.

4th, simply because we will attract a higher class of player if we are in the champions league. We get a higher class of player we have a better chance of progressing, winning trophies and getting closer to the league title.Unfortunately in order to be in with a chance of competing for the league, we have to be in the champions league.

[quote name='withnail71;3271419

4th' date=' simply because we will attract a higher class of player if we are in the champions league. We get a higher class of player we have a better chance of progressing, winning trophies and getting closer to the league title.Unfortunately [b']in order to be in with a chance of competing for the league, we have to be in the champions league.[/b]

Yeah, funny when you think about it, isn't it?

Nowadays, you use the ECL as a kind of "feeder" competition for an eventual tilt at the league title.

Rafa almost did it.... From 2005 ECL winnners, to 2009 EPL runners-up.

Almost.

Being in the top 4 shows we are back in business, rather than jostling with Everton, etc. for a Europa League place. And it brings Champions League football with the greater prestige, more money and the ability to attract top-class players.

Love to see us winning cups, but want more to see us winning the big trophies (League and EC, with the League easily the priority): getting to the top 4 really is a pre-requisite for that without a sudden and massive injection of cash.

I'm no Rafa apologist and that Burnley loss was white-hot embarrassing in its nature, but ole big ears did provide the not insubstantial counterbalance we all demanded/required. :yes:

And I'm no Rafa hater (didn't want him sacked, first choice when Kenny left), if anything I threw it in there for balance too, so it wasn't all about Woy. If I remember rightly I think he basically came out and freely admitted he'd grossly underestimated the importance of the competition in general in this country, compared to the Copa del Rey, and I think what happened in 05/06 showed he definitely learned that!

As an aside, apologies if my initial post inadvertently Godwinned the thread.

I'd like to see us challenge for the top 4,I don't think we will get in there myself but we at least need to challenge for one of the spots.

A decent couple of cup runs with the youngsters being blooded would be good to see.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Bottom half...

No decent signings...worse strike force than last year (so far) and we were crap last year..Gerrard another year older...Agger linked with a move away...manager who i think will be gone by christmas...

Oh and that home shirt is shite...bought once and worn once (horrible collars and material thats...rough!)

Sorry been supporting Liverpool 35 years and this season i really fear the worse

Bottom half...

No decent signings...worse strike force than last year (so far) and we were crap last year..Gerrard another year older...Agger linked with a move away...manager who i think will be gone by christmas...

Oh and that home shirt is shite...bought once and worn once (horrible collars and material thats...rough!)

Sorry been supporting Liverpool 35 years and this season i really fear the worse

Could be right there mate.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Thanks Dickie (was expecting abuse)...

True though..

Aquilani (£20m "i want to prove myself at Liverpool") "oh no you're not" says Brendon and off loaded at "un-disclosed"!(less than £5m i'd say)

Big 23 year old Andy (important the 23 year old bit!)..."i really wanna get stuck in this year" was finding form last year...."oh no you're not" says Brendon and he gets off loaded to joing Big Sam...in London!

Joe Cole...useless first time round...loan in the French league (not a great league) another 2 years older and he's back...yeah he'll really make a difference!

Henderson/Downing/Adam/Shelby can stay! I don't get it?

Pepe...dis-illusioned(understandably so)..January transfer window?

Even (name escapes am afraid) but our young forward,a real Micheal Owen clone,looks the business...linked with a loan spell...to QPR!

You look at other "big clubs" you see stability (bar maybe Arsenal)...even the 2nd tier clubs like Newcastle,Tottenham you sence a degree of optimism...

Am afraid.....with us...like i say,bottom half...maybe 10th AT BEST!

Really? Are you a glass half empty kinda guy?

BR will focus on the league, the cups aint priority, Henry has even admitted 2 cups wouldn't save the King his job...So why should BR focus on any of the cups.

This season, as long as we play good football and there are signs of hope and progress then Ill be happy. Season number 2 will be the push for CL football.

If we get 4th this season, id be delighted, not celebrating as being a Liverpool fan, I dont celebrate 4th. I celebrate trophies, hopefully they will come. BR has removed Dirk, Maxi and Aquillani and brought in Borini. With AC out of the squad tomorrow I expect he will be gone in the next 7 days. Then buy replacements that want and deserve to be here.