You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

The Spanish indecision: Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez in battle for Liverpool job

It's the owner's favoured choice vs the fans' favourite for the Anfield hotseat after Kenny Dalglish's sacking

Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez in power struggle for Liverpool job - Mirror Online

Is it april the 1st? How is there even a decision to make? Why not get owen fucking coyle in?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's looking increasingly like Martinez is the man, the clear front runner ahead of AVB and Benitez.

Gone by Christmas.

Well, according to the Mirror. They've said that we're both talking to Rafa and not talking to Rafa.

Guest ShoePiss
Well, according to the Mirror. They've said that we're both talking to Rafa and not talking to Rafa.

I haven't been keeping track of the mirror but in that last article they said he's the fans' favourite, not that we're talking to him.

Is anyone else really anxious at how this is playing out? There are two things that are bothering me.

Firstly the length of time it appears to be taking to find the right appointments (not just the manager). Now this is probably because they feel they have to get the decisions right, yet when I look at the apparent list of managerial candidates I am frankly shitting myself! The majority are all potentially very risky. Martinez could turn out to be an inspired appointment or he could turn out to be a complete disaster. It is very hard to gauge how good he might be as he has only played and managed at the middle levels. Can we afford to take this risk? He might come across well at interview and say the right things, but I just don't know if he feels like the right choice. I have my doubts, yet the owners obviously like him as he is apparently invited for this second interview (that's if you believe what's in the papers!). This interview isn't until Thursday...so no decision still...more procrastination? Is there a divide amongst our owners? Are they not sure about who is the right choice? This will appear like an over reaction to some, but I truly feel this is such a crucial appointment for us, which they have to get right.

Rafa too would be a risk, but for me he does have the experience and quality and if I'm honest of the three I mention here I am erring towards him because of this. I do feel though that he would need a very good assistant, someone like Pako, to complement his management style. He doesn't seem to be in favour with the owners though, perhaps because (in their opinion) they have already had their fingers burnt with a previous fan's favourite and his somewhat outspoken final season with us. Yet, if this is clouding their judgement, they could be losing the best football appointment.

In AVB, again I am concerned at some of the reports about his man management skills. Again I obviously have no idea if they are true and it is also difficult to gauge just how good (or not so good) he is as a manager, he has a short record to judge him by. Porto went well, yet how much sway does that hold when he was sacked so quickly at Chelsea?

I just cannot see an outstanding candidate (who actually wants to manage us!) who doesn't carry some sort of risk or baggage and that genuinely scares me! If we get this wrong i think it is going to get harder and harder to get back to where I'd like us to be.

It's really important that the owners do make a decision promptly though as the new manager has a lot of work to do.

It's looking increasingly like Martinez is the man, the clear front runner ahead of AVB and Benitez.Gone by Christmas.

I agree that is where the FSG logic is pointing.

I disagree that whoever is appointed will be gone by Christmas. We underperformed horribly in the league last season, improving on joint 8th/9th is certainly not beyond Martinez.

The Spanish indecision: Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez in battle for Liverpool job

It's the owner's favoured choice vs the fans' favourite for the Anfield hotseat after Kenny Dalglish's sacking

Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez in power struggle for Liverpool job - Mirror Online

And the Telegraph say Capello is who we are interested in. Liverpool keen on move for former England manager Fabio Capello as replacement for Kenny Dalglish - Telegraph

I agree that is where the FSG logic is pointing.

I disagree that whoever is appointed will be gone by Christmas. We underperformed horribly in the league last season, improving on joint 8th/9th is certainly not beyond Martinez.

The same was said of Hodgson! We should not underestimate how negativity surrounding the manager affects the results. And also the fact that the players would be mightily unimpressed by a manager who's CV so far consists of League 1 promotion and avoiding relegation from the PL.

There are already murmurings of discontent from our senior players who are dismissing Martinez in favour of Benitez. The last thing we want is to divide the squad and fans again with the appointment of someone with no pedigree like Martinez.

martinez will be sacked by christmas when will be around 9th place and rafa will return that's how i see it playing out

I'm getting desperate to be honest, that desperate I'd take this scenario to get Rafa back! Minimum damage rather than some other 'Young' appointment who gets sacked xmas next season guiding us to 9th and struggling in the Europa!

So as it looks more and more likely he will get the job,Is there any positives,anyone who is for it and why?

We need something more positive here as football is fucking destroying my soul at the minute,he seems like a decent fella,there's a good starting point.

The shit about Bruce having a better points per game record is a load of shit aswell,Bruce is that level he is perfectly suited to Wigan,Martinez was always trying to establish a more expansive and creative team and trying to do that with Wigan is going to take more time and yield less points to begin with if the rights players aren't in place.

Clutching at straws here.

Jesus on a broomstick, whats the 2nd interview about? What more could they possibly want to know.

The way I see it now, they are dead set on Martinez but due to the fan reaction they are trying to create the conditions to ease him in as gently as they can and to be seen to be looking at multiple candidates. Purslow pulled this shit with Hodgson, theyve already made up their minds. They wont win all the fans over but they are gambling on some of the more easy going types will accept it by using the drip, drip method. Every other bugger of any substance has turned us down and they havnt even got the dual dof roles sorted, so how can they jump ahead of themselves when they said they want that structure in place before they appoint a manager under it? For me the announcement they want a young up and coming manager was to immediately rule out the best managers straight away, including Rafa.

The best managers in general are the older ones with the experience. Look at the top 6. The only young manager there is Mancini but he had won serie A and had a blank checkbook when he arrived.

I said if it is Martinez Id get behind him but Im not sure theres many others who feel the same way, I know 90% of us are pissed at the owners here and we are in complete randomn territory as to where Martinez might take us. It also makes me angry that they have this sort of background link to him thats been too rarely mention and played down in the media. Makes me think he may have been their man all along, an insult to peoples intelligencr on some level, given that if he acheived what Kenny did theyd continue to back him. None of that is a reflection on Robertos abilities tho, complete unknown at this level, cud go either way, top or bottom 4.

Strap yourselves in, we are in for a bumpy ride, again!

So as it looks more and more likely he will get the job,Is there any positives,anyone who is for it and why?

We need something more positive here as football is fucking destroying my soul at the minute,he seems like a decent fella,there's a good starting point.

The shit about Bruce having a better points per game record is a load of shit aswell,Bruce is that level he is perfectly suited to Wigan,Martinez was always trying to establish a more expansive and creative team and trying to do that with Wigan is going to take more time and yield less points to begin with if the rights players aren't in place.

- Relatively young.

- Speaks English.

- Not Terry O'Connor.

Can't shake the feeling that appointing Martinez would turn out to be an absolute clusterfuck. We are all still smarting from Kenny getting sacked, and for my part at least, getting rid of him in favour of a manager who's PL experience is limited to fighting relegation, is a slap in the face.

Look on just about any Liverpool forum, and at the very best, Martinez gets a 3-4% support rating when asked who fans want as manager....so assuming he's appointed, there is hardly going to be a wave of enthusiasm to greet him....more likely a lot of disappointment, apprehension and quite likely anger at the owners for ignoring Rafa.

In all honesty, I would not expect much progress in the Europa League this season were he to become manager....sooner or later his lack of experience in European football would cost us dearly.

Given the standard that FSG have now set in demanding CL, I cannot see this ending well.

Edited by JoeyJones65

He plays 3 at the back. That could attract Cavani and Lavezzi.

Quite.

Cant see it myself and I found an alarming article at the bottom of it about how the owners are fannying about which was much more enlighting at the bottom of that article.

He's never rubbed his hands at senior players of this football club.

He seems a really nice bloke, he's no where near the top of my list but he'll get my absolute support, I'm not going to whine like a tart and be happy every time we drop points because it means he's closer to the door. The man I want has just been sacked so fuck it. IF he gets it I'm treating it like a vacation let the little experiment begin and without much hope and see if it surprises us.

He seems a really nice bloke, he's no where near the top of my list but he'll get my absolute support, I'm not going to whine like a tart and be happy every time we drop points because it means he's closer to the door. The man I want has just been sacked so fuck it. IF he gets it I'm treating it like a vacation let the little experiment begin and without much hope and see if it surprises us.

sums up my feelings. and to those saying another hodgson disaster, at least no one can top the absolute bullshit that hodgson came up with or do any worse than the shit football we played under him...trying to be optimistic here.