You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

'We must never be forced sell Luis Suarez like we did Fernando Torres' says Brendan Rodgers - Mirror Online

Liverpool must never again be in the position where they have to sell big stars like Fernando Torres, according to manager Brendan Rodgers.

The striker will line up against the Reds tomorrow for Chelsea, who spirited him out of Anfield for £50million on deadline day in January 2010.

And with Luis Suarez the new jewel in Liverpool’s crown Rodgers, who took charge of the club in the summer, said: “It’s the task we face. I don’t know what happened with Torres, but times move on and we now have one of the best strikers in the world with Luis. We have to ensure we keep the best players like him.

Of course, it is hard to compete with the money the big clubs have to spend on the big players. But we can’t just give up because we are not in the same financial league as other clubs. It is up to us to find a way of dealing with that.”

It’s a monumental task as the biggest clubs have the big money to buy the big players - they can make it so hard to compete.

“But it’s up to us as a club to add players that can help support Luis and move us on. I believe if you look at our starting 11, if we can add three players or so to the group, we will be very, very strong, we just need to add a few players who can finish off some of our great work.

Maybe we have to approach finding those players in a different way, because we can’t out-compete others financially.If we can’t get an advantage by having all the money to spend to get the top player, we have to ensure we get someone who is hungry to come in and move us forward.†

“It’s about finding other ways through our playing style, bringing young players through and finding players who haven’t worked out elsewhere. To put them into a philosophy and a style and that’s the thing that might give us an advantage. We are trying to build with this way of working.”

Rodgers says Suarez is a world class talent who he can build Liverpool’s future around, because the Uruguayan has made clear his desire to stay for the long haul.

“Luis a world class talent, he’s up there in that one per cent bracket of world class strikers. There is no team in the world who would not want him in it.”

“I wouldn’t swap him for any other right now, no. Not when I look at what he gives consistently. This is a guy whose energy is relentless - he is a defender’s nightmare.

“A lot of the time this season he has played the back four on his own. People are looking at Liverpool and thinking if they can control Suarez we might cut our threat. But they are still unable to do it.

“This is a player we can look to build around and make us a threat in other areas. And at this moment in time, I am safe in the knowledge that Luis had the chance to go in the summer, but chose to stay to give us an opportunity of seeing how it would work.

“There was probably no better time for him to do that, with a new manager coming in. he could have had an excuse to go but having spoken to him at length he committed to staying here.

“For him personally, it’s working out really well. He is in his most productive period, he’s scored ten goals this season. It took him until February last season to get to that many.

“The way of working suits his style and it’s up to us as a club to keep moving forward and when you do that, top players want to be around.”

1. Tom Werner: "We have the money to compete with anybody in the world"

2. We aren't a "big club" anymore then hey?

3. Dont buy anymore Fabio Borini's, please.

4. As the title says, Fuck off FSG.

One thing I dont ever ever want us to do again is sell one of our very best players to a league rival. It fucking belittles us. When I see van Persie at united I just think you utter cunt and of arsenal I think you cowardice bastards take the hit on the player to stop him going to you rivals and damaging you directly. Football is huge psychologically when we sold Torres to Chelsea it was equivalent to giving them a shoe shine, I felt sick.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
One thing I dont ever ever want us to do again is sell one of our very best players to a league rival. It fucking belittles us. When I see van Persie at united I just think you utter cunt and of arsenal I think you cowardice bastards take the hit on the player to stop him going to you rivals and damaging you directly. Football is huge psychologically when we sold Torres to Chelsea it was equivalent to giving them a shoe shine, I felt sick.

I think the real test is after the sale. He we sold Torres for £50m, and then got Suarez and, say, Llorente or similar, assuming he hit the ground running, we'd be laughing at them. We'd just say we sold them a dud for £50m and got two top class players for the money.

As it turns out, we got Carroll. So it's not all that funny.

'We must never be forced sell Luis Suarez like we did Fernando Torres' says Brendan Rodgers - Mirror Online

Think long and hard about it. Is it solely FSG `s fault that we cant compete financially with City, Chelsea, Manu, Arsenal etc.?

Even then with hindsight I wouldn't sell to a league rival. Shankly gave this club an aura I think we cheapen it when we make ourselves vulnerable to other clubs in our league especially clubs like Chelsea and man city who aren't building a club based on a mans vision or a city's identity but on an egomaniac owner with money to burn. I still feel we are akin to royalty in this league, the peasants should be fed our scraps and fuck all else.

I think the real test is after the sale. He we sold Torres for £50m, and then got Suarez and, say, Llorente or similar, assuming he hit the ground running, we'd be laughing at them. We'd just say we sold them a dud for £50m and got two top class players for the money.

As it turns out, we got Carroll. So it's not all that funny.

This is a good point, I have little use for FSG but they did spend the Torres money on replacements, while I don't think anyone was surprised when Arsenal just banked the RVP money.

Think long and hard about it. Is it solely FSG `s fault that we cant compete financially with City, Chelsea, Manu, Arsenal etc.?

No clearly it isn't but it's hardly a recommendation for FSG to say the previous owners were even worse.

The points made especially referring to the deeply misleading statement by Tom Werner are perfectly valid.

It's also a relief to know that we aren't a big club anymore.

I would love to know the input of Kenny and commolli to all those deals we done. I'd like to know the structure of it and how it worked. Who gave the budget and limit for each player or if Kenny had a list of players prioritized and Commoli went all out to get them. Someone tweet Paul dalglish and ask him he might know and would obviously be totally unbiased.

Personally I think it was all down to Commoli. I reckon dalglish wanted all the best players but Commoli was like fuck you your getting whoever the stats paint the nicest picture of.

Agree with Bobby Hundreds and I said it at the time, when we sold Torres to Chelsea we were bitched, regardless of hindsight that for me was when we stopped being one of the big boys. We are a big club now in name only, we're no longer taken seriously and we're not seen as a threat to the big clubs. How we climb back up I really don't know. Those demanding success because of who we are are in for a long, rude awakening. You might not like it, but you can't hide from facts. We're now beginning to be overhauled by Everton. Bleak, bleak times.

I would love to know the input of Kenny and commolli to all those deals we done. I'd like to know the structure of it and how it worked. Who gave the budget and limit for each player or if Kenny had a list of players prioritized and Commoli went all out to get them. Someone tweet Paul dalglish and ask him he might know and would obviously be totally unbiased.

Personally I think it was all down to Commoli. I reckon dalglish wanted all the best players but Commoli was like fuck you your getting whoever the stats paint the nicest picture of.

The January deals for Carroll and Suarez would have had very little to do with Kenny, as he had only just returned then. I know Rafa asked him to scout Suarez the previous season, but even so, both these deals must have been done by Commolli.

As for the summer deals, I think Dalglish would have had more input. Adam, and Downing, I'd say were Kenny's own decisions, whereas Enrique and Henderson strike me more as Commoli deals.

It's worth pointing out that most of these deals were our second choices.

Clichy, Phil Jones and Ashley Young were our top targets, and even Carroll was only signed because Torres wanted out.

Kenny said, with no ambiguity at all, that they were all his choices.

It's just like Kenny to take all the blame. Not like that cunt Commoli.

Seriously though I don't doubt they where his choices I'd just like to know thane nature of his input into the fees and wages. Carrol was a choice given to him he said as much soon after we signed him and given that Torres left and there was a few hours left in the window and Commoli said how about carrol I think most would of said yeh sure, but..... How much input did he have in the fee.

I need to blame Commoli. Sorry Commoli but you will; be my patsy.

From that article:

“Maybe we have to approach finding those players in a different way, because we can’t out-compete others financially.If we can’t get an advantage by having all the money to spend to get the top player, we have to ensure we get someone who is hungry to come in and move us forward.†

That cross at the end must be for "Amen to that", surely!

As for FSG - the sooner they fuck off, the better, I say.

Guest San Don

In that quote from rodgers, WFT is he talking about us and the 'big clubs'? Sorry, I wouldnt have that when hodgson was here and I wont have it from him either.

Stop the small club mentality.

I am grateful that they got H&G out of here. Net spend or not, they did invest last season, but all bar Suarez have been below expectation. We are now experiencing their response to that. They had their fingers burned and are now proceeding on a gently, gently basis. Understandable, but they have to realize that this approach has its short term costs:

1. Falling further down the league.

2. Risk of losing our star performers. How can you expect a footballer to look long term when the best years of their career span 3 to 8 years. (I'm talking improving/peak not total career).

3. Alienation of proportion of fan base.

4. Lessening global appeal.

They have to find a better balance and quick. I fear we are in a non-virtuous cycle at the moment.

Who's fault is it then? They shouldn't try and douse us with this fucking PR bullshit about how rosy things are.

If they can't compete then they should fuck off. We have to compete. Whats the alternative? Becoming unimportant?

Because that's where we're heading.