You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Sorry but they were not the top bidder, they were the highest bidder the difference is quite significant. Brian Reade nailed it, the only way that H & G could get the club was by lying and hoping that saying the right thing worked, and it did. It did because Moores did not look after the long term health of the club, he looked to the highest bidder.

They were two men with a background in Private Equity, an Apprentice contestant would have been able to tell you what they will do. The problem was never about their plans per se, it was always about the possibility that their way of working would always carry the risk that they can walk away from a ruined business with little or no financial risk. Which is what kept them waiting for the big buyer, if it was their money they would have sold up long before, but it wasn't.

A cursory look at their Business practices would have told him that, and it most certainly would have alerted someone of Rick Parry's experience. They must have ignored it. There is no realistic alternative view, they had full knowledge and still chose to sell it. It wasn't a man out of his depth, it was a man led by greed.

You are mistaken in your distinction between highest and top.

As far as the Granada shareholders were concerned there was nothing “top” about DIC’s offer.

I suspect that you are using top as a synonym for best. That is unproven. DIC were a foreign company with no previous football experience who subsequently went out of business.

Moores was under a shareholder obligation to sell to the highest bidder. The largest minority shareholder was Granada. They wanted out and had one priority- the highest price. Moores could have declined to sell to G&H on the grounds of the best interests of the club – but he could not have forced through a sale to DIC. That would have saved us the pain of the G&H years, but done nothing to arrest the decline of the previous 15 years. Refusing a sale to the highest offer on the basis that although they have the cash they might do something that is injurious to the club in the future is high risk. They might. They might not.

I agree with your final two paragraphs. Corporate sales are driven by cash. Football driven by greed – who would have thought it?

The sad epitaph is that in the end it wouldn’t have mattered whether DIC or G&H had bought us, the result would have been the same.

Right. Trouble is, we are shit at scouting and contracting.

You are absolutely correct. It is I think the most important area that we need to improve. It isn't sexy and it won't excite the fans in the short term, but it is so important for the long term success.

As far as the Granada shareholders were concerned there was nothing “top” about DIC’s offer.

I suspect that you are using top as a synonym for best. That is unproven. DIC were a foreign company with no previous football experience who subsequently went out of business.

I never even mentioned DIC! As far as I am concerend they were both wrong for the club, so they should never have been considered. This wasn't a competition, there was no necessity to award the winner!

They went with the Highest bidder, not the top, or most suitable or whatever other euphemism you would like to use for what was essentially a sale to the highest bidder.

Sorry Xerxes but I don't think their is any credibility in arguing for any other conclusion other than they sold to the highest bidder.

6 years ago we were calling Chelsea all things under the sun for not being a proper club, we even made a song about it, 3 years ago we very, very nearly went out of business. Yet here we are again, looking for that big billionaire to take us over and make the world right again.

The fact that we won't get that type of owner because we would cost too much in the first place, seems to be lost on people. We can compete, but we need to stop making the same stupid decisions year after year. Any club that spends £35m on Caroll (with a sell on clause), £20m on Downing, £20m on Aquilani, £15m on Henderson (as a right mid) cannot claim to have been held back by lack of finance. We have been held back because we have bought shit players to replace very good ones, because our club administration has been run like a Church Hall fund raising group.

We are were we are because of decisions that we as a club have made, not because we have not had any money.

Excellent post which puts the argument perfectly.

6 years ago we were calling Chelsea all things under the sun for not being a proper club, we even made a song about it, 3 years ago we very, very nearly went out of business. Yet here we are again, looking for that big billionaire to take us over and make the world right again.

The fact that we won't get that type of owner because we would cost too much in the first place, seems to be lost on people. We can compete, but we need to stop making the same stupid decisions year after year. Any club that spends £35m on Caroll (with a sell on clause), £20m on Downing, £20m on Aquilani, £15m on Henderson (as a right mid) cannot claim to have been held back by lack of finance. We have been held back because we have bought shit players to replace very good ones, because our club administration has been run like a Church Hall fund raising group.

We are were we are because of decisions that we as a club have made, not because we have not had any money.

A very good summary.

My concern is that I see little evidence that we have the people in place to learn from the mistakes of the past.

I dont think weve learned at all i think there are issues at the club and that people will be sacked in the near future maybe werner could get the sack because fsg are lethal and im gordon gecko but on a smaller scale and i know a lot A LOT about finance and investment and especially american business models especially ones relating to sports franchises and ive seen pictures of john henrys face and i didnt like his body language it was all like fuck me this is going wrong and im losing face here maybe linda runs the show and henry is just a front a stooge but it isnt clear at this stage fsg are shit and mansour is class and even the glazers are class despite owing 400 million pounds and raking in a billion pounds a year its obvious what the problem is there is no dof and there is no ceo and we never got that flabby faced dutch bloke to advise us that downing and henderson are shite and so how is kenny or clarke supposed to know unless advised by bergurixxstansys its a nonsense there isnt enough hours in the day for them to stay on top of everything and also get in 18 holes and have dinner with gerrard but thats all by the by now because ive got me box.

Nice one for the defence there ShoePiss

We were unlucky, slag me off all you want but the amount of times we hit the woodwork wont be repeated ever again, we missed 5 pens, we seen keepers playing out of their skin at anfield

wont happen again, by default we'll be better this season cos we'll win a shit load more home games

Nice one for the defence there ShoePiss

We were unlucky, slag me off all you want but the amount of times we hit the woodwork wont be repeated ever again, we missed 5 pens, we seen keepers playing out of their skin at anfield

wont happen again, by default we'll be better this season cos we'll win a shit load more home games

I know what your getting at but bad luck shouldn't stretch on for that long.

A couple of matches I can understand but it seemed to be the excuse after every match

It was something else that the management and players didn't take ownership for,I'm not sure what maybe more work on the training ground or using different players in different positions like with Maxi maybe playing more,I have no idea but it I don't think it's bad luck when it happens nearly every week.

Any club that spends £35m on Carroll (with a sell on clause), £20m on Downing, £20m on Aquilani, £15m on Henderson (as a right mid) cannot claim to have been held back by lack of finance. We have been held back because we have bought shit players to replace very good ones, because our club administration has been run like a Church Hall fund raising group.

This of course will never ever happen, will it, and is a million-to-one shot, but let's just say these three players really improve on their first season here (or in Carroll's case, season and a bit) this coming term?

Who gets the credit for these shit decisions then? Dalglish? Comolli? Rodgers? FSG? Or might it be perhaps a little awkward and embarrassing for quite a lot of people, including the owners, some supporters and these players themselves?

Still, it won't happen, so we don't have to worry. And we can keep on slagging who and what happened in 2011/12. Which of course, includes FSG.

What a flimsy response.

It's not flimsy at all. People keep saying that they hung him out to dry and other bollocks yet if they had done that he wouldnt have signed a new contract and he would be more than likely a Juventus player by now.

What they done was right. We needed to move on.

Guest ShoePiss
It's not flimsy at all. People keep saying that they hung him out to dry and other bollocks yet if they had done that he wouldnt have signed a new contract and he would be more than likely a Juventus player by now.

What they done was right. We needed to move on.

They did hang him out to dry. They didn't do what was right at all.

They did hang him out to dry. They didn't do what was right at all.

They had to end it one way or another. It had gotten way out of hand. We were fighting a losing battle.

It was either that or continue trying to take on Ferguson and the FA. It was only going to get worse.

They probably could have done it differently though.

Moores was under a shareholder obligation to sell to the highest bidder. The largest minority shareholder was Granada. They wanted out and had one priority- the highest price. Moores could have declined to sell to G&H on the grounds of the best interests of the club – but he could not have forced through a sale to DIC. That would have saved us the pain of the G&H years, but done nothing to arrest the decline of the previous 15 years. Refusing a sale to the highest offer on the basis that although they have the cash they might do something that is injurious to the club in the future is high risk. They might. They might not.

I agree with your final two paragraphs. Corporate sales are driven by cash. Football driven by greed – who would have thought it?

The sad epitaph is that in the end it wouldn’t have mattered whether DIC or G&H had bought us, the result would have been the same.

Load of bollocks totally and utterly bollocks.

DIC had there bid accepted by Moores and the board and were expecting the deal to be completed.

At the final moment cancer and aids issued a joint bid with a higher share price.

They accepted that bid instead and the now infamous coco the clown quote of the fans have no need to worry about the new owners bullshit.

Were selling the club to people who can take the club further and leaving it in capable hands.

They (Moores and Parry) sold out to the highest bid with no regard to who the owners were.

The DIC bid had been accepted and when they found out that Moores was going back on his word they pulled out.

I never even mentioned DIC! As far as I am concerend they were both wrong for the club, so they should never have been considered. This wasn't a competition, there was no necessity to award the winner!

They went with the Highest bidder, not the top, or most suitable or whatever other euphemism you would like to use for what was essentially a sale to the highest bidder.

Sorry Xerxes but I don't think their is any credibility in arguing for any other conclusion other than they sold to the highest bidder.

We agree that they sold to the highest bidder!

The view that neither was suitable is a valid one. But a sale IS a competition in which one person wins if the bid is acceptable.

However if Moores had withdrawn at that point, Granada still wanted to sell. That could have prompted further uncertainty through Granada accepting G&H's (or DIC's) offer and either prompting a hostile take-over bid or a split camp. Moores did not have the stomach for that.

Load of bollocks totally and utterly bollocks.DIC had there bid accepted by Moores and the board and were expecting the deal to be completed.At the final moment cancer and aids issued a joint bid with a higher share price.They accepted that bid instead and the now infamous coco the clown quote of the fans have no need to worry about the new owners bullshit.Were selling the club to people who can take the club further and leaving it in capable hands.They (Moores and Parry) sold out to the highest bid with no regard to who the owners were.The DIC bid had been accepted and when they found out that Moores was going back on his word they pulled out.

An odd rant.

None of which is in conflict with anything that I have said.

Moores and Parry in sale to the highest bidder shock?

This of course will never ever happen, will it, and is a million-to-one shot, but let's just say these three players really improve on their first season here (or in Carroll's case, season and a bit) this coming term?

Who gets the credit for these shit decisions then? Dalglish? Comolli? Rodgers? FSG? Or might it be perhaps a little awkward and embarrassing for quite a lot of people, including the owners, some supporters and these players themselves?

Still, it won't happen, so we don't have to worry. And we can keep on slagging who and what happened in 2011/12. Which of course, includes FSG.

You could be right, I think you will be regarding Henderson but the point was that we spent a lot of money, so complaining about lack of cash is a bit of a thin excuse. And the art of management is getting the best out of those players, so if they did come good, then FSG's decision to remove Kenny would have been vindicated!

But, as you say that won't happen.

We agree that they sold to the highest bidder!

The view that neither was suitable is a valid one. But a sale IS a competition in which one person wins if the bid is acceptable.

However if Moores had withdrawn at that point, Granada still wanted to sell. That could have prompted further uncertainty through Granada accepting G&H's (or DIC's) offer and either prompting a hostile take-over bid or a split camp. Moores did not have the stomach for that.

Xerxes, a sale is not a competition, it is never a competition and in that instance it was never a competition. You only sell the family jewells once was Parry's quote prior to the sale, if you have two unsuitable buyers then you don't sell if your criteria is not met, and the fact remains that a background check of any kind would have revealed they were not suitable.

Yet he still sold the club to two men who offered more money.

They had to end it one way or another. It had gotten way out of hand. We were fighting a losing battle.

It was either that or continue trying to take on Ferguson and the FA. It was only going to get worse.

They probably could have done it differently though.

It gets you thinking. What have FSG said to Suarez to get him to sign that contract extension? As most will agree, they left him and Kenny to twist in the breeze. He'd have been well within his rights to fuck us off and the PL and go abroad. So why hang around here with a team that is being stripped to the bare bones to be rebuilt (hopefully) but will take the best part of 2-3 seasons to accomplish if done right?