You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Can't copy as I'm on a phone but there's an interview with Ayre in the Echo today.

Basically seemed to say that if we signed Dempsey we wouldn't have been able to sign Sturridge this window. Says we will only sign players who we see value in, but i worry because it sounds more to me like we're skint and the 'value' issue will be a convenient cop out for not making the signings we need.

If Sneijder wants to come then he should adjust his wage demands, as we are, or have been demanding other players do when we have wanted them to move on! He is far better than any of those players, but, like them his best days are behind him.

If we get Sturridge and Ince that would be mean £16/17m spent in January - I don't think we can ask for more than that in January, although it is fair to argue that we are simply spending what we would have done in September.

Outside City and Chelsea, all clubs have budgets - all clubs have restrictions, United and Arsenal have champions league and bigger stadiums, Tottenham are prepared to sell a player to build a team, something our fans seem dead set against.

When I look at our current team I can't help think that we can go large on a forward, someone like Xisco, Munain or Sanchez and a strong, solid midfielder in the summer - without needing to build on the squad. I'd argue that we haven't been in this position since 2008 when we needed cover for Torres!

As most on here know, the mere mention of Ian Ayre is usually enough to launch me into vitriol overdrive, but................................... in this article I can't complain, measured and balanced. Credit where credit is due.

I don't disagree that we should seek value, but here is the crux of the problem...

Who in the fuck is Ian Ayre to decide what represents value in football? Who in the fuck is John Henry to decide what represents value? We're essentially hanging on Brendan's word. Well...we'll see how that goes.

But in reality, we have an inexperienced footballing manager and this is why we need an experienced footballing CEO, you bunch of nobhead owners. You don't have a fucking clue when it comes to football, nor does this nobhead Ayre, nor did your past appointments, because it was you as a collective who decided £35m for Carroll represented good "value", amongst a host of other criminal signings.

I don't disagree that we should seek value, but here is the crux of the problem...

Who in the fuck is Ian Ayre to decide what represents value in football? Who in the fuck is John Henry to decide what represents value? We're essentially hanging on Brendan's word. Well...we'll see how that goes.

But in reality, we have an inexperienced footballing manager and this is why we need an experienced footballing CEO, you bunch of nobhead owners. You don't have a fucking clue when it comes to football, nor does this nobhead Ayre, nor did your past appointments, because it was you as a collective who decided £35m for Carroll represented good "value", amongst a host of other criminal signings.

Well we had Damian Commoli, and Kenny last year and they didn't recognise value!

And, the same can be said of Rafa, Roy and Ged. Somebody has to say yes or no, somebody has to make the decision. Not sure Barwick, or Dein would end these criticisms. The premiership is littered with football men who have bought shit, and bought poorly.

In hindsight - they were right, Dempsey was not worth £6m.

Well we had Damian Commoli, and Kenny last year and they didn't recognise value!

And, the same can be said of Rafa, Roy and Ged. Somebody has to say yes or no, somebody has to make the decision. Not sure Barwick, or Dein would end these criticisms. The premiership is littered with football men who have bought shit, and bought poorly.

You may be right about Dempsey. However the 'policy' to me goes out the window when they were willing to swap him for a promising English u21 international in Henderson.

Was it about value? Age? Or are they just skint and couldn't afford to pay it? He hasn't answered why Carroll was allowed to leave when the signing of a replacement was now clearly far from certain at the time. With all the millions shifted out the club in wages, why is 12m Daniel Sturridge seemingly the limit of what we can spend at the end of last window and now this month?

People may feel they want to criticise the fact we didn’t have an additional striker. But at what price would you sacrifice spending for something that is not in the long term interests of the club versus what we just did, which was getting a great price on a great player in Daniel Sturridge?

“If we had spent that money in the summer then we wouldn’t have done that trade recently.

Read more: Liverpool Echo Ian Ayre Exclusive: Why Liverpool FC's youth policy is the right way forward - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

Yeah, at what price do you sacrifice 6 months of striking options up front which influence your final league position, for a great trade you've just done and an interview on the ECHO.

But I thought the youth policy was just a myth according to his yesterday's comments. Today the yesterday's myth seems to be "the right way forward".

You are a great trade yourself Ian. A "catch". A standing piece of shit. A piece of shit with two legs. JH looks like a former woman.

Yes, that is the point I was making - their previous appointment (in DC and Kenny) couldn't recognise value. Which is ultimately their fault.

Ged and Rafa couldn't recognise value? Erm okay. Whatever you say.

And you are right, it is littered with football men who have bought poorly - there are also quite a few who have bought smartly. Hopefully Rodgers is the latter. Eitherway, Ayre and FSG certainly aren't qualified to be judging the value in a player and whilst I thank the heavens that we didn't buy Dempsey - who knows who else they've passed upon because of their lack of value?

If you think two baseball fanatics and a commercial director are qualified to decide whether a football player should play for Liverpool then I guess we disagree.

On missing out on Dempsey and leaving us with one striker.

“It may have left us short, but the pieces just did not come together. We’ve come through that period now. I still feel it was the right decision.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

He needs fucking sacking. It wasnt the right decision at the time, and it certainly wasnt the right decision in hindsight, you creepy little cunt. Dont forget, this is a fucking CEO, head of paid services, someone employed to have a vision and guide us through risky decisions and all that. And he comes out with FUCKING SHIT like "We've come through that period now", like "ha, i knew Suarez wouldnt get injured, and I risked £500m on it".

I'm sick of the cunt, that's just cemented what a fucking chancer he is and how it WILL fuck this club up sooner or later.

You may be right about Dempsey. However the 'policy' to me goes out the window when they were willing to swap him for a promising English u21 international in Henderson.

Was it about value? Age? Or are they just skint and couldn't afford to pay it? He hasn't answered why Carroll was allowed to leave when the signing of a replacement was now clearly far from certain at the time. With all the millions shifted out the club in wages, why is 12m Daniel Sturridge seemingly the limit of what we can spend at the end of last window and now this month?

I was under the impression that Caroll leaving and the subsequent lack of striker was down to a number of things not just Dempsey, I understood that Rodgers then refused to sanction a move for Sturridge! Liverpool as a club more or less admitted it was a mistake.

Sturridge, and Ince would take our spending to close to £50m, hot on the heals of last years spending spree and without Champions league football for the past three years.

Yes, that is the point I was making - their previous appointment (in DC and Kenny) couldn't recognise value. Which is ultimately their fault.

Ged and Rafa couldn't recognise value? Erm okay. Whatever you say.

And you are right, it is littered with football men who have bought poorly - there are also quite a few who have bought smartly. Hopefully Rodgers is the latter. Eitherway, Ayre and FSG certainly aren't qualified to be judging the value in a player and whilst I thank the heavens that we didn't buy Dempsey - who knows who else they've passed upon because of their lack of value?

If you think two baseball fanatics and a commercial director are qualified to decide whether a football player should play for Liverpool then I guess we disagree.

The point I was making is that this 'football man' is a ridiculous statement to make, because we had football men in charge last year and they fucked it up, we had football men making the decisions in Roy, Rafa and Ged and they still bought Keane, Aquilani, Cisse, Heskey, Leonhardson and Collymore!

They didn't say he is shit, they said they didn't think he was worth the £6m for a number of reasons, yet Daniel Levy did!

I don't understand this obsession with FSG being baseball owners! They didn't decide not to purchase Dempsey, Ayre did, they didn't decide to purchase Caroll, Downing, Henderson or Adam, Comoli and Kenny did! Being a football man is seen as being an inate skill, it isn't.

Those same men - don't seem to be given credit for signing Suarez! Yet they were as involved in his signing as they were in any other.

Edited by Whelan

Terrible owners brilliant at PR

They need to fuck off,we don't tolerate shite players even though their not rapists.So we shouldn't tolerate shite owners just because their not cancer and aids.

Terry Francona On Red Sox Ownership: ‘I Don’t Think They Love Baseball’ « CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — Much hype has been generated regarding the soon-to-be-released book collaboration between former Red Sox manager Terry Francona and Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy. An early glimpse at the publication shows much of that buildup appears to be warranted.

Sports Illustrated ran an excerpt of the book in this week’s issue, titling the article “Too Big to Succeed.” In it, Francona explains in detail how the ownership group of John Henry, Larry Lucchino and Tom Werner spent more energy focusing on the Red Sox’ public image than it did on building a championship-caliber baseball team.

“Our owners in Boston, they’ve been owners for 10 years,” Francona said in the book excerpt. “They come in with all these ideas about baseball, but I don’t think they love baseball. I think they like baseball. It’s revenue, and I know that’s their right and their interest because they’re owners — and they’re good owners. But they don’t love the game. It’s still more of a toy or a hobby for them. It’s not their blood. They’re going to come in and out of baseball. It’s different for me. Baseball is my life.”

The excerpt details a meeting with then-general manager Theo Epstein, Francona, Lucchino, Werner and a tardy Henry.

“Werner talked about slumping television ratings and whined, ‘We need to start winning in more exciting fashion,’” the excerpt read.

The owners hired a consulting firm, paying $100,000 to find out what the Red Sox can do to regenerate public interest in the team.

“They told us we didn’t have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle. We need some sexy guys,” Epstein said. “Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing from what we set out to be.”

John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

Epstein added, “[That] was evidence to me of the inherent tension between building a baseball operation the way I thought was best and the realities of being in a big market … which had gotten bigger than any of us could handle.”

Slumping television ratings also helped lead to decisions that ultimately didn’t keep the best interest of the baseball team in mind.

“One thing the players were always asking for was getaway day games,” Francona said in the excerpt. “The owners would never go for it. They couldn’t have more day games because the ratings were already suffering, and that would have hurt worse.”

LISTEN: Shaughnessy Joins Gresh & Zo

Shaughnessy also explains the “inattentive ownership” due to the purchasing of Liverpool Football Club.

After Francona and the Red Sox “mutually” decided to part ways, Henry was unable to attend the press conference because he was injured when he fell on his yacht. Henry’s wife posted on Twitter the following morning, “Happy John is home! He slipped down stairs, injuring his neck. Kept at hospital at precaution, but was home for the derby.”

Shaughnessy wrote: “The owner, who’d been unable to attend the press conference announcing the firing of the manager who brought two World Series titles to Boston, made it home in time to watch Liverpool beat Everton 2-0 in the Merseyside derby.”

Francona discussed his meeting with ownership and Epstein after the September collapse of 2011. He said he “knew the owners didn’t want him back [for 2012], but no one was willing to express this uncomfortable truth.”

“I was just trying to take accountability. But I kind of viewed that meeting as a charade,” Francona said in the book. “When people ask me if I left the Red Sox on my own or if I was fired, I don’t even know how to answer that. I tried my ass off to put the team in position to win, and I worked my ass off that last year more than ever.”

“Francona: The Red Sox Years” will be released on Jan. 22. Terry Francona will join the Gresh & Zo Show on 98.5 The Sports Hub on Jan. 23.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Good for you, but I don't, i think he was overpriced and we were held over a barrel etc..

Ah well, I guess it's just a difference of perspective. I think he'll be a superb player for us over the next 10 seasons.

Ah well, I guess it's just a difference of perspective. I think he'll be a superb player for us over the next 10 seasons.

Allen's had two decent months since he's been here. 'Decent' taking into account we were told it wasn't his real position that he was playing in so you forgave him for not putting his foot in or being in the right place at key times.

Since that initial period he's been the weakest link of a flimsy at best midifeld.

No idea what evidence you've seen to class him as being worth £15m.

I'd also like our transfer policy to stretch beyond British players / Players the manager has already worked with at a previous club. Lets see a bit of imagination instead of a scouting team that seemingly conducts most of its business between 10.30 - midnight on a Saturday when MOTD is on.

Out of Sahin, Yesil, Assaidi, Borini, Sturridge and Allen, the latter three are either British or have worked with him before. The former three are foreign and have not worked with him before. So it's clearly not a transfer policy.