You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gig review thread

Went to see Flogging Molly supported by Ferocious Dog in Manchester last week and it was awesome. Flogging Molly are comfortably my favourite live band, no doubt at all. Always great energy and lots of fun. The crowd at the O2 Ritz we’re great too. No knobheads.

didn’t get home til 2am which was a bit of a shit, but was belting all the same.

That was my birthday present off my missus. Tomorrow is the Interrupters with The Barstool Preachers in Leeds for her birthday, and should be ace, only I would up in hospital with Gastritis on Saturday and have felt like absolute shit since, so I’m not sure how much well end up enjoying it.

im going to put my bravest face on because she’s having a real shit time of things at the moment, and I’d feel bad that she couldn’t go to this because of me, but I reckon I’ll end up going upstairs into the balcony seats to have a chance of staying through the whole thing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Enjoy the Interrupters tomorrow mate. Fucking love a bit of live ska myself. Still have a bit of a skank upstairs. 

Cheers dude. I’m just going to do my very best not to bump into anyone or anything. Life’s not comfortable currently.

On 11/06/2022 at 22:30, sir roger said:

Fun and games at the Costello gig the other night according to a mate ( Prices getting too high for me after 40+ years of attending almost every local Elvis gig ). 

Half an hour of awful sound, where you couldn't hear Costello singing. The audience getting more and more agitated trying to point this out to the performers. Costello thinks he is getting heckled and takes a diva strop shouting at the crowd. Eventually a stage hand gets the message through but a significant number of the audience walk out. A bit of a tin-eared 'apology / not apology' issued the next day ( Assumed the crowd were drunk !! ).  Interested in any other attendees thoughts.

I gave up on Costello when Bruce Thomas left - actually went to see him once more at Kenwood, and I thought he was like his own shite tribute act.  I'd seen him dozens of times up to to that point, and to this day I've never heard a better combo.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Nothing can lift the spirits better than live music you love. 

All the best mate. 

We’ve bailed on it. She’s having a rough time of things and doesn’t fancy it enough and me being sick gives us the excuse to bin it off.

equal parts gutted and relieved.

36 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

We’ve bailed on it. She’s having a rough time of things and doesn’t fancy it enough and me being sick gives us the excuse to bin it off.

equal parts gutted and relieved.

They'll be back soon enough, seem to come over every six months at the moment. Class band.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pidge said:

They'll be back soon enough, seem to come over every six months at the moment. Class band.

Pretty sure it was you I was talking to about this ages ago with about our mutual love of Sponge?

I was in the Black Hart in Camden a few months back and Sponge were, miraculously still together, and even more miraculously playing in the attic.

In my drunken state I stumbled up the stairs looking for some proper nostalgia.

I got half way up and turned around once I’d heard them, it sounded fucking horrific.

Went home and put the EP on, sounded shite.

Moral of the story?

Fuck nostalgia and the past and fuck Sponge, fuck ‘em ‘ard.

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Pretty sure it was you I was talking to about this ages ago with about our mutual love of Sponge?

I was in the Black Hart in Camden a few months back and Sponge were, miraculously still together, and even more miraculously playing in the attic.

In my drunken state I stumbled up the stairs looking for some proper nostalgia.

I got half way up and turned around once I’d heard them, it sounded fucking horrific.

Went home and put the EP on, sounded shite.

Moral of the story?

Fuck nostalgia and the past and fuck Sponge, fuck ‘em ‘ard.

Ha, they played a festival I went to a while back and it was fun, although I only really checked them out on the way to the beer tent. But yeah, Kicking Pigeons never the most refined tune in the world. Always good for a drunken bounce though.

Lightyear and Capdown are still class live though.

• Upvote 1

Mates of mine have gone to see Idles for the third time in about a month. I went to one of these and it was sound but I saw O Sees the next day who were obviously better as they've been the best live band on the planet for at least 10 years and a fair few bands since who also did it more for me. These lot only ever seem to go and watch them.

There's more to life than Idles.

49 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, was a cracking lineup with Bar Stool Preachers and the Skints and the day after my missus birthday so was a no brainier, but we’ve seen all plenty before and know we’ll see them all again soon enough.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Ha, they played a festival I went to a while back and it was fun, although I only really checked them out on the way to the beer tent. But yeah, Kicking Pigeons never the most refined tune in the world. Always good for a drunken bounce though.

Lightyear and Capdown are still class live though.

Capdown never fail to deliver. Ever.

I never really got into Spunge (even being a brummie) but I had tickets to see them in Leeds last xmas time cause my boys were supporting, but they pulled out so I did too,

Saw Jacob Collier recently at the Brixton Academy.  Yes, he's a genius.  But the pure joy his music he imparts is otherworldly - beyond music or any other mere sensory experience.  I dunno what it is, but no music has ever had such a profound experience on me.  I'm not talking about the recent 'poppy' gigs, but more the body of work across all genres, from writing and arranging for 50-piece orchestra, his ninja-level skills on any instrument, through the amazing complex a cappella stuff he does - video and sound - to him simply sitting there at a piano or guitar, pure unadorned genius.  Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock, Hans Zimmer and loads of other musical giants are in awe of the lad.  Two videos - watch or listen to them all the way through if you can - and it might give you some idea of the visceral connection he can make with his music.

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

Saw Jacob Collier recently at the Brixton Academy.  Yes, he's a genius.  But the pure joy his music he imparts is otherworldly - beyond music or any other mere sensory experience.  I dunno what it is, but no music has ever had such a profound experience on me.  I'm not talking about the recent 'poppy' gigs, but more the body of work across all genres, from writing and arranging for 50-piece orchestra, his ninja-level skills on any instrument, through the amazing complex a cappella stuff he does - video and sound - to him simply sitting there at a piano or guitar, pure unadorned genius.  Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock, Hans Zimmer and loads of other musical giants are in awe of the lad.  Two videos - watch or listen to them all the way through if you can - and it might give you some idea of the visceral connection he can make with his music.

Needs more cowbell.

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

Saw Bad Manners a few weeks ago in a big marquee on the harbourside at Falmouth. They were pretty good and the support act was great (cant remember their name). Everyone dancing and singing, great night.

They played at a Butlins weekend I was at last year and it was the same. I wasn't expecting much, but they performed as if they were at Wembley and looked like they were having as good a time as the crowd. Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

Last gig was Bouncing Souls at the Underworld. Just about the perfect venue (well, just shy of Exeter Cavern for personal bias reasons) for my favourite live band. Never anything but a great night, must have seen them more than a dozen times now.

Before that was Social Distortion at Shepherd Bush Empire, right before the heat hit 40. Second night and tube failure so was only 2/3rds full despite selling out. Left plenty of room for a pretty full on pit (I stayed to the side of it, not often I'd go in these days) and a much more intimate gig than I was expecting. Mike Ness is one of my guitar heroes so was special being able to watch him play up close.

Ring of Fire as an encore, as expected. Great stuff.

Going to two gigs at a small venue in Cologne while over there. Zwakkelman and the Richies. Never heard of either but they seem like fun.

• 9 months later...