You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a whisky....

RedBrian84

Re Laphroaig.....

I don't like whisky, never have done and I much prefer brandy/cognac.

However, I do quite like Laphroaig.

Obviously, because I don't drink scotch for the most part, I'm no expert. But it seems to me that Laphroaig doesn't taste like other whiskies, which is possibly why I like it.

Seen it described as an acquired taste even among those who are fond of a drop of Scotch.

Re Laphroaig.....

I don't like whisky, never have done and I much prefer brandy/cognac.

However, I do quite like Laphroaig.

Obviously, because I don't drink scotch for the most part, I'm no expert. But it seems to me that Laphroaig doesn't taste like other whiskies, which is possibly why I like it.

Seen it described as an acquired taste even among those who are fond of a drop of Scotch.

Yeah, it has a cracking peaty fire to it that some find - myself included, although it is a lovely drink - a bit too much sometimes.

I definitely prefer, at the minute, the softer expressions (my original post, the GlenDronach, is done in sherried casks); much smoother and more subtle. Just about to purchase a Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old on Master of Malt for just that reason.

If you like the Laphroaig then you'll probably be a big fan of Lagavulin and Ardbeg; they are both from the same Islay region as the Laphroaig and carry the same kind of character, should you fancy trying something new.

I recommend this one:

lagavulin-16-year-old-malt-358-p.jpg

Lagavulin 16 year old. It's a little pricey but having had it once I would say it was worth the money. They have also had it in The Lion in town (near Moorfields) once or twice.

I went to the Whiskylounge Fest at Royal Horticultural Halls yesterday, and needless to say, there was some excellent fare to sample. The 2 standouts for me were Compass Box Whisky Co's Hedonism, which is fantastic for a blended whisky; and Aberlour A'bunadh, a brilliant single malt.

I'm definitely an island/islay man in terms of taste, though there are some outstanding Highland and Speyside Malts (Glenmorangie being one, Balvenie Doublewood another). I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the following:

Laphroaig (any expression, though as I say I love the Quarter Cask)

Talisker

Bowmore

Highland Park (the whisky currently in the BBI drinks cabinet - the normal 12 year old and a 1998 special edition that I got given yesterday)

I'm definitely an island/islay man in terms of taste, though there are some outstanding Highland and Speyside Malts (Glenmorangie being one, Balvenie Doublewood another). I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the following:

Laphroaig (any expression, though as I say I love the Quarter Cask)

Talisker

Bowmore

Highland Park (the whisky currently in the BBI drinks cabinet - the normal 12 year old and a 1998 special edition that I got given yesterday)

Even though I am a Speyside man, it was actually Talisker that got me into whisky a few years back. I'm really looking forward to the Balvenie Doublewood that's en route to casa RedBrian. I opted to pay a few more quid though and plumped for the Signature expression.

Haven't had the pleasure of the Highland Park - what's the 12 year old like?

Not much of a scotch drinker, but I do keep a drop of it around the house for when the mood strikes. I've been working my way through a bottle of this, and it's very acceptable. Milder/smoother than most of the Islay malts already mentioned I believe, which suits my taste.

bunnahabhain-12-year-old-malt-whisky-28-p-1-.jpg

Even though I am a Speyside man, it was actually Talisker that got me into whisky a few years back. I'm really looking forward to the Balvenie Doublewood that's en route to casa RedBrian. I opted to pay a few more quid though and plumped for the Signature expression.

Haven't had the pleasure of the Highland Park - what's the 12 year old like?

Similar to Talisker - they're both island malts, obviously. It's got a very deep, rich flavour too it, whilst still being relatively smokey. It's not as out there as laphroaig, but it's as complex. It's up there with the best.

Similar to Talisker - they're both island malts, obviously. It's got a very deep, rich flavour too it, whilst still being relatively smokey. It's not as out there as laphroaig, but it's as complex. It's up there with the best.

Okay nice one pal I will keep my eyes open for it!