You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If you touch on the point Monty said before about the A list celebs Gervais is working with, it's clear that Freeman and Crook could easily get a job on one of his new films but are surprisingly missing, which again may explain that they all left with bad feelings after working together. But I may be wrong.

We're all moving away from the point that RG is losing it. He is still incredibly successful but his bubble is slowly leaking.

Yes, if you just guess at stuff like people not working with other people then it is fairly likely you will be wrong. The idea that he would want to do different things with different people, and they would too, seems to be, for some reason, one you find hard to accept.

I haven't seen a lot of Life's too short because I think he's going a bit too much down the Larry David route of obvious mishap. I think everything else he's done has been of a very good standard.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a snippet from the Express. It's using journalistic license, but it hint at a breakdown of friendship.

MARTIN Freeman came to fame as nice guy Tim in hit sitcom The Office – written by stand-up comedians Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant – but was the actor really so fond of them behind the scenes?

The actor, who is Dr Watson in recent BBC show Sherlock Holmes, has slammed comics as being “pathetically egotistical”. He has also been critical of Gervais.

Freeman says: “I thought actors were dodgy until I hung out with stand-up comedians. They are pathetically egotistical and make us seem like selfless wallflowers in comparison. I don’t want to be around people who can’t shut up.”

He says of Gervais: “We’re an odd country in that we don’t celebrate ourselves. Ricky Gervais has said we haven’t made a good [british] film for 50 years so he’s not the most supportive person”.

However he adds of Gervais’s Hollywood success: “I’m not surprised by it. They like gall and what they perceive as British cheek.”

Not completely conclusive, but he could have easily said 'Ricky's a great bloke etc...'

I think his meteoric rise to the top has largely been US driven. I think this is because the US comedy intelligentsia like to be seen to 'get it'.

His humour is quintessentially British and we all now the theories of yanks and irony. I would be amazed if many of his fawning US celeb pals did not think he was a complete tool but to say so would be saying the Emperor was indeed naked.

He is not nearly so prized over here.

The office was a great show because like many of these things they work on many levels. The idiot laughs a Gervais being a bumbling boss whilst the comedy student admires his timing and spontaneity. I honestly think he is a funny bloke but has one act. He is looking for variations but is essentially is only ever playing himself. That's not a bad thing but the more he strives for additional material the further he gets removed from David Brent, the one character he was born to play, universally acclaimed and ultimately looks a bit shit.

How is it him? It's nothing like him. Have you actually seen him speak in his own voice, not the bolshy character he puts on when performing? Have you heard the podcasts?

He's nothing like Brent.

Heard the podcast when they first came out. Very funny. The basic premise for me is he surrounds himself with people in real life and in character form with people who he can manipulate to hold a mirror up to him. There is only so many characters you can pull out of that hat.

He is exactly like Brent, well a version of him. Massive superiority complex.

How is it him? It's nothing like him. Have you actually seen him speak in his own voice, not the bolshy character he puts on when performing? Have you heard the podcasts?

He's nothing like Brent.

Yes, I have heard him speak on numerous interviews.

I don't mean literally him. With Gervais' limited acting the character of Brent is closer to a normal man in the street he is portraying.

I think he's a great comedian with real vision, but he picks "worthy" subjects and hasn't imposed enough structure on his last few projects and they've suffered. I don't care about him mocking the mockers, or the condescending PC crowd (which is his preferred target from what I've seen). He needs to work on a project with a defined microcosm in which he can build properly realised characters. Office was meticulously designed in a way actors could run with and enhance the tone and Extras had us get to know the characters on set before developing them in a wider context.

He's no Larry David and his characters are no "Larry David", he can't just wing it in an ill-defined world and come up with great comedy. He needs a structure to riff on.

Great post Anny.

Brent was quality as it was 'him' and to a point Andy Millman was a type of Brent-lite. Every other strange hybrid has turned shit.

Brent isn't 'him' in the slightest, and Andy Millman is a totally different character. Brent was the sexist, chauvinistic, brash, borderline racist arse who was desperate for people to like him. Millman was a fairly mild-mannered and downtrodden extra who craved fame and credibility which ultimately ruined him.

Up to this point, they're the only sitcom characters he's played aren't they? I think it's fair to say that Derek will be none of the above.

Just saying, he gets a lot of unjust criticism I think. Top class comedy and character writer.

There's a sitcom with Karl Pilkington playing himself (with a bit of hair). It's going to be class for him alone.

Brent isn't 'him' in the slightest, and Andy Millman is a totally different character. Brent was the sexist, chauvinistic, brash, borderline racist arse who was desperate for people to like him. Millman was a fairly mild-mannered and downtrodden extra who craved fame and credibility which ultimately ruined him.

Up to this point, they're the only sitcom characters he's played aren't they? I think it's fair to say that Derek will be none of the above.

Just saying, he gets a lot of unjust criticism I think. Top class comedy and character writer.

There's a sitcom with Karl Pilkington playing himself (with a bit of hair). It's going to be class for him alone.

Brent and Andy Millman are completely different characters, people just seem to be confused by the fact that they look and sound the same.

I loved extras it made me laugh out loud so many times, sir Ian mckellen, jean luc Picard bloke and Keith chegwin had some scenes that killed me. Not all humor has to be high brow or funny because you understand it. Ricky has got the office on his CV it's a brilliant piece of work not many achieve such a thing and if you are prolific enough you are going to make lots of shite too.